Author Topic: bike lift extensions  (Read 2286 times)

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
bike lift extensions
« on: 22.01. 2024 18:28 »
G'day Fellas.
I'm not as strong as I used to be and getting the bikes up onto the lift is getting harder especially the rHonda and HD. I don't like getting them up there under power walking alongside. The lift isn't wide enough to ride the bike up.
So I made removable side extensions. They need a modification to the ramp but first try went well getting the beast on and off safely.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: bike lift extensions
« Reply #1 on: 23.01. 2024 00:37 »
Well Musky, ...you will insist on using your bikelift for your tractor won't you... ;)

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #2 on: 23.01. 2024 09:25 »
Well Musky, ...you will insist on using your bikelift for your tractor won't you... ;)
G'day Jools.
Got it on and off safely but this arvo after getting home from work and knocking the top off the weeds I started to get her ready for the Australia Day run. Moved a couple around the shed to make room. Then moved the HD to service her. Tripped on a piece of cotton and down she went. Smashed the right side tank and blinker *doh*. There goes a few hundred $$$$$.
BUGGA
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 23.01. 2024 10:04 »
Ah, no mate... I was only having a laugh (at your expense)! Sorry! Bummer that it's damaged. - I'm getting bloody dangerous moving bikes around, but I wouldn't even attempt an HD!
I can handle the Venom and the SR, but that's about it. I once BITD had my growing SR propped up with the brand spankin' new genuine Lyta 5g alloy tank I'd bought in Dartford (Kent), and brought back through customs in my hand-luggage, bolted on to the SR for the first time. And... the bastard somehow fell, bashing dents in the beautiful Lyta. Ah yes, tears of rage ensued!!!! But I eventually tapped the dents out.

Offline Colsbeeza

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 23.01. 2024 11:52 »
Musky, Our motorcycle lifts do need side wings. I built a side ramp and wing which makes it quite easy. I still ask the missus to stand on the offside in case it falls. That way, she cushions the tank as it falls on her. >:D
1961 Golden Flash
Australia

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 23.01. 2024 20:26 »
Oh S***! Sorry to see that, brother.

Richard L.

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 23.01. 2024 22:29 »
Bummer about the Harley, these things happen.  One reason I returned to BSA after a few years of riding a Harley was that I found it too heavy to move around.  Fine on the road but we live in a town center and the bike has to be pushed around the house to its shed up a slight hill.  Its was getting too hard and was sooner or later going to go wrong.
Slough 59 GF/SR

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
« Reply #7 on: 23.01. 2024 22:32 »
I would have been throwing things big time if that'd happened to me mate! *pull hair out* *pull hair out* *pull hair out*

If it makes you feel any better, when I'd finished putting the bike back together, I was experimenting with getting the silencers lined up correctly.  Thought I'd change the brackets round a bit to see if it'd make a difference.  Didn't realise that on kicking it up, the kickstarter would foul the newly chromed silencer - big dent ensued and so did the pang of heartstopping pain once you realise that simple mistake just cost around £60. *pull hair out* *pull hair out* *bash* *bash*  To make it worse, a couple of weeks later I got back from a ride to see most of the chrome stripped off the other silencer from a faulty lead acid battery that'd boiled over and sprayed acid all over it - another £60 plus a sealed AGM battery. *pull hair out* *pull hair out* *pull hair out* *bash* *bash* *bash* *angry* *angry* *angry* *problem* *problem* *problem* *razz* *razz* *razz*
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #8 on: 23.01. 2024 23:21 »
I had a close call yesterday.  Bike is up on a hydraulic lift, a short one about 2 ft long with planks across.  Its without engine, gear box or wheels and is balanced... Spent hours taking apart the Made in India dual seat and re-carving the foam into the shape it should have been then putting the cover back on.  Put in on the bike and climbed up to check it, sat on it then sat upright and suddenly it went to tip back.  *warn*.  For a few seconds (felt like eternity) I was rocking between safety and ending up in a   heap of metal off cuts with the bike on top of me.  Feet nowhere near the ground and nothing to grab hold of, bloody stupid. ::hh::  Climbed down very carefully, today's job - fit the rear wheel and put a block under it!
Slough 59 GF/SR

Online Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 24.01. 2024 00:43 »
I assume the 'side-wings' are built to the height when the lift is down, just for walking up when you run the bike up onto the lift?
(You need to be able to easily move it away, otherwise it sort 'o defeats the object of having a bikelift) eh?

Offline Colsbeeza

• Resident Legend
« Reply #10 on: 24.01. 2024 06:21 »
Yep Jools, Mine is in two pieces - made from old pallets.
1961 Golden Flash
Australia

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #11 on: 24.01. 2024 09:45 »
G'day Jools.
Yes both sides come off in seconds. But the cut outs on each side are for the strapowns before removal. I'll angle the ends down like Col's. My luck I'll trip over it and damage another bike. I can heal, bikes cost money to fix
Been looking around for a tank. A mob I've bought off before in Sydney has a pair (yes the "Fat Bob" tanks are in two pieces). Primed orange for just over $500 then add the stickers at $100 and then paint I'm guessing at $500 and a blinker. That's about 5 weeks expendable $$ with no rides or beer *doh*
Not going anywhere for a while. I'll put the cover on her so I don't look at it 100 times a night.
Cheers
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #12 on: 24.01. 2024 11:13 »
I may as well had to this listbof potential and real disasters . Musky thats a real shame .
My near disaster happened about a year ago I'd managed to clear teh garage of all sorts of Wife introduced rubbish and moved the bike around to clean the top end by my workbench. All well with the first move ,quite pleased with myself for still being able to handle the bike . I then moved her back tail first toward the bench up on centre stand and job almost done ,what I hadn't seen was that the bike rear number plate had snagged the middle bench support and hadn''t moved completly to it s rest position actually balancing between moving back and sliding forward ,I turned my back heard something to find her sliding forward on her volation I dived across the garage but to late in slow motion she tipped fortuneatly away from me towards the wall . I grabbed the bars and she was to far for me to stop the movement just as I was expecting a crash she stopped having mangled some boxes wbits and pieces in the lot copmressed on top of a wooden stool .I couldn't shift her so ran out in the close grabbed a couple neighbour who helped pull her upwright  .Iwas extremly luckycos it could have flatted me or itself instead only a couple of scratches !
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline fffcycles

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #13 on: 24.01. 2024 16:09 »
Extreme weight and cumbersome to move are taking their toll on my bikes. This past summer I had the 2006 Concourse 1000 parked out front( need something for the really long rides!) We had a wicked wind storm and it toppled the bike in the driveway so fairing got mangled and signal lights broke away. Now I am stuck with plastic repair, filling, painting etc as you cannot find a replacement anywhere. A $1000 gone in an instant I figure.
Frank
Frank P Kamloops BC
1948 A7 Long Stroke, a collection of BSA D1/B44/B50/A65 from the 50's thru 70's, Ariels/Nortons/Triumphs and a smattering of Japanese

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
« Reply #14 on: 24.01. 2024 18:41 »
Extreme weight and cumbersome to move are taking their toll on my bikes. This past summer I had the 2006 Concourse 1000 parked out front( need something for the really long rides!) We had a wicked wind storm and it toppled the bike in the driveway so fairing got mangled and signal lights broke away. Now I am stuck with plastic repair, filling, painting etc as you cannot find a replacement anywhere. A $1000 gone in an instant I figure.
Frank

#Musky - 'BUGGA'
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250