Author Topic: Bentley  (Read 344 times)

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Bentley
« on: 28.12. 2023 14:20 »

1930 BENTLEY SPEED SIX VDP TOURER

Bentley Motors achieved success with its first car, the single overhead camshaft 4-valve per cylinder 3-Litre introduced in 1919. Always intended as a sporting car the 3-Litre was, if anything, overbuilt and its rugged reliability was successful in competition, rallies and daily use on the rudimentary roads of the day.

It proved itself in the toughest test of the day, the 24 Hour of Le Mans, winning outright in 1924 and 1927.

Soon, however, owners began to specify heavy, enclosed coachbuilt bodies that taxed the 3-Litre’s performance and its stiffly-sprung but flexible chassis frame. Bentley expediently responded with a longer wheelbase chassis that, if anything, further taxed the 3-Litre’s roughly 80hp engine. More was needed.

For that Bentley designed a new engine with two more cylinders and roughly 4 ½ litres displacement. A chance encounter with the prototype Rolls-Royce “New Phantom” on the way back from Le Mans in 1924 turned into a speed contest which showed the Bentley needed even more speed. The decision was taken to drastically increase displacement to 6 ½ litres (6,597cc) which became the production 6 ½ introduced in 1925 and first produced in early 1926.

The 6 ½’s design was faithful to the fully developed 3-Litre with a single overhead camshaft, fixed cylinder head, 4 valves per cylinder and an eight main bearing crankshaft. The Speed Six followed in 1928 with twin SU carburetors and revised intake system that brought it up to 160hp – circa 200hp in Team Car specs. The Speed Six’s 140mm stroke augmented its horsepower with steam engine-like low rpm torque that made it easy to drive in all situations.

Full story and more Pictures on hymanltd.com

Pictures and description @hymanlimited

Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Bentley
« Reply #1 on: 28.12. 2023 22:07 »
Been lucky enough to drive one of those “Derby Bentleys” (built by rolls) on a day long windy and coldish rally….unfortunately it was a case of sometimes a car (or bike) is best admired from a distance and not driven  *eek*
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Davetom

« Reply #2 on: 29.12. 2023 00:40 »
What was the experience like ? I had similar after hiring a Mk2 Jag for 48hrs !

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 29.12. 2023 02:17 »
What was the experience like ? I had similar after hiring a Mk2 Jag for 48hrs !

I have driven a daimler 240 so similar to mk2 jag and yep they are noisy…..

There is no heater in the Bentley so even on a 15 degC day you freeze without wearing thermals etc. very drafty and consequently noisy. Steering is very heavy even for an old car, so after a few hours your arms will ache.

Gearbox is non synchro on 1st and 2nd so double de clutching is reqd, the gear lever is between your right leg and body, something you will get used to if you drive it regularly I guess.

The body is narrow so if you have even a normal sized passenger you will feel very cramped. Getting in and out is for the fit only! Rear is for small kids only.

Performance is very good for such an old car, and you can keep up with modern traffic (in nz at least, limit is 100kph). This car had electric overdrive in 3rd and 4th which made highway cruising reasonably relaxed.

Performance on gravel roads is excellent due mainly to its large diameter and thin tyres I guess, ground clearance is excellent, these cars were of course made for poor roads. Unlike my ‘52 Armstrong Siddeley Whitley you don’t feel guilty subjecting it to bumpy gravel and dirt roads, and the odd ford, it can take it, and the bodywork is easier to take care of.

Basically it’s a fantastic car but very uncomfortable and tiring to drive, maybe if you owned one I think those are things you will get eventually get used to. The owner has had it for years and loves it.

There are numerous body styles for this Bentley chassis, but I think the tourer (open top) variants are the better option.

I had a mates (later) Bentley Mk6 with 4 1/4 litre engine on my lift a few months ago (complex brake master cylinder issue). Lovely car but like my Whitley still not really fast enough for main roads driving, or comfortable enough.

I am selling my Whitley, I have bought an ‘85 Lotus Excel to use on “vintage” car rallies instead (and lotus club  *smile* see pic ). I have a great time driving the Whitley, and it’s very stylish, but we found it too tiring to take on long journeys which limits how often it gets used.

Strangely (or not!) big old British luxury cars are relatively cheap compared to the more practical old cars.

Might have gone off topic here 🫣

New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts