Author Topic: Crank end float - best guess?  (Read 887 times)

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
Crank end float - best guess?
« on: 28.11. 2023 16:24 »
I'm swapping cases so I don't have a start measure for the crank end float shimming. I have the inner roller off and a few shims to hand.  What would be a good shim thickness to start?  Obviously I'm hoping to get it right first time and save loads of work *smile*
My best guess is around 0.010"
Slough 59 GF/SR

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Crank end float - best guess?
« Reply #1 on: 28.11. 2023 18:36 »
G'day Rob.
You must start with NO shims to get an accurate measurement. 2 to 3 thou endfloat is what to aim for. This gives clearance when cold, you'd be surprised how that increases when hot.
It's a PITA I know getting the roller bearing off but must be done. Do a search for different methods.
Cheers

'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Billybream

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 28.11. 2023 19:01 »
Best to use a dummy bearing, with diameter relieved so it can be easily removed
1960 Super Rocket, owned since 1966, back on the road 2012 after being laid up for 29yrs.

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 28.11. 2023 20:37 »
That idea I like, I can mic the bearings and correct if there's any difference.
Slough 59 GF/SR

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 29.11. 2023 04:02 »
That idea I like, I can mic the bearings and correct if there's any difference.

I used emery cloth in a lathe, it doesn’t much to remove the interference fit.

With just 2 thou end clearance there is still a big clunk when pulling the crank one side to the other.
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Online Colsbeeza

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 29.11. 2023 10:54 »
Rob, Further to endorsing Muskrat's advice, I purchased two new roller bearings and relieved the inside of one as a test "spacer". However, upon measuring both new identical bearings one was 1.5 thou wider than the other so you need to measure both to calculate the correct shims. I aimed for 1.5 thou but got 1.8 after final assembly. I had 5 trial assemblies before I was satisfied.  For joining the cases in final assembly, I used Blue Hermatite and measured no change in end float.  You also might consider a NJ206 bearing rather than the standard NF206 which leaves the rollers in the outer case, so you can in future lever off the inner bearing without difficulty. Also ask for a C3 clearance bearing. Otherwise the rollers may be too tight when assembled. I would recommend you search "End Float" in the Forum archives for much more experiences.
Colin
1961 Golden Flash
Australia

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 29.11. 2023 11:05 »
Thanks all. My beginnings of a plan are to relieve the old bearing a bit, put in 10 thou then use feelers on the case joint in the fashion of a Velocette (which has preload) as this means I have a little gap to get the knife edge bearing extractor in. With Hylomar I think that will come up at around 1-2 thou so I'm thinking I'll set for zero then check on the dial gauge once bolted up with sealer, and pulled up hard on the drive nut. Obviously at this stage I'm not looking to have to make any changes.  Its frustrating becuse I had all the measurements ready then (and only then) noticed they were mismatched cases and had to start again with the matching cases.  My mistake was assuming anything about the engine build such as "of course they would use matching cases". Wrong.

Slough 59 GF/SR

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #7 on: 29.11. 2023 12:56 »
Colsbeezer i had problems using the two bearing method, i even mentioned it a long time ago on a crank end float discussion. i think it was something to do with the outer race lip and roller lengths being very slightly different. when i bolted it all up with the new bearing it locked the crank because i wasn't getting a true reading for the new bearing . i scrapped the idea and just used the bearing that was going in and gently clamped a puller on the inner race rollers to slide it off and fit the shims.

Offline sean

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 29.11. 2023 15:09 »
makes me wonder how they were assembled in the factory ....
you can also get crank brgs with the nylon cage  which allows disassembly of the brg so no damage to the cage .

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 29.11. 2023 16:00 »
I do wonder when struggling with jobs like this how they did it on the production line with a couple of minutes at most to get it right.  My shed/workshop is about -2C just now and I'm thinking that would equate to about 2 thou pre-load to be right for an average day.  I think I'll wait.  Can't bring it in the kitchen like the"old days", SWMBO's body language was very clear *ex*
Slough 59 GF/SR

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #10 on: 29.11. 2023 16:25 »
I've only done this once and I think I was  born under a lucky star  or blind ignorance got me through it .  My second A10 a small bearing swing/arm  when bought had ane engine which ran but sounded like 2 skeletons f**king in a tinbox  . I had a thought that a plunger motors guts bwould fit fit and I knew where one was located from a friend who assured me it was a sound motor . Has you did in those days the engine found its way to my Bedroom for the princely sum of £5 !  I took the old engine there as well stripped it .The barells were very worn the big ends shot and timingside would have made a break for freedom any time soon ,cases were ok. I cleaned everything and was pleased with the results . pulled the plunger apart and it was a really good clean motor . compared and was satisfied it would fit keeping everything in the right place on rebuild it went together really well and I seem to remember fitting the later iron head in place of the plunger one . I thing I didn't even know about was end float but In must have just fitted it spun the crank and thougt ok ,They proved to be the best A10 engine , it was battered and took all the abuse and came back for more ,Itwas eventually sold for a few pounds as I'd secured a job sell ing bikes and got use of one as transport ,Next time I rebuilt one  I did know about it but went for an end feed conversion basically to avoid the grief   
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #11 on: 29.11. 2023 16:52 »
i really feel sorry for you guys with SWMBO's who don't let you play nice in the house. i would be looking at swapping mine if she didn't let me play. she now wants me to get a move on and time up the berglar build so i can get it out into the garage and into the frame. she wants betsy beezer back indoors for christmas so she can put the fairy lights on her. what you guys need is a SHED sign in the house and convince her indoors that your house is the shed. the only little problem i have is i forgot to get the thick cylinder head washers, anybody got 9 spare??.also to keep urma yondas petrol tank nice and warm it has it's own shelf, it is empty of course. my cat is chief mechanic and keeps an eye on my workmanship. i will have a beer to the bestest girl in the world *beer*

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #12 on: 29.11. 2023 18:19 »
makes me wonder how they were assembled in the factory ....
you can also get crank brgs with the nylon cage  which allows disassembly of the brg so no damage to the cage .
G'day Fellas.
Yes I use that type of bearing. Just pop the rollers out and use a bearing separator type puller on the inner.
I mark each roller so they go back in the same direction and order. That's probably a bit pedantic.
FAG NJ206E-TVP2-C3 Cylindrical Roller Bearing, Single Row, Straight Bore, Removable Inner Ring, Flanged, High Capacity, Polyamide/Nylon Cage, C3 Clearance, Metric, 30mm ID, 62mm OD, 16mm Width
https://www.amazon.com/FAG-NJ206E-TVP2-C3-Cylindrical-Removable-Polyamide/dp/B00631AWJO
Cheers

'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline sean

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #13 on: 29.11. 2023 20:13 »
I built my motor in the basement during covid …. Time was wasted with parts delays and the machine shop boring for liners wasted 8 months and I really wanted to get it out of the basement before I couldnt carry the lump up the stairs…. Not getting any younger is concerning , but all was good .