Author Topic: running without battery  (Read 489 times)

Offline David Tinsley

• A's Good Friend
running without battery
« on: 04.11. 2023 19:39 »
1955 GF SA

I dont have access to a battery at the moment and want to fire the bike up. It is wired with a DVR at 12V.
Can I leave the battery connections loose, or connect them together? or what?
Thanks,
Dave

1955 A10 Golden Flash

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: running without battery
« Reply #1 on: 05.11. 2023 04:22 »
G'day Dave.
I'd just leave them disconnected from the battery and NOT connected together. To be extra safe pull the F & D wires out of the dynamo.
Disclaimer: I don't pretend to know Jack about electrickery.
Hopefully one of the sparkies will chime in soon and shoot me down in flames!
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #2 on: 05.11. 2023 07:47 »
G'day Dave.
I'd just leave them disconnected from the battery and NOT connected together. To be extra safe pull the F & D wires out of the dynamo.
Cheers
That'll do it Dave.
You can run without a battery with the DVR no prob (and have lights too when it's running if you want), but make sure the wires to the battery are out of the way and not touching anything. Or disconnect the dyn, sure. Whatever's easiest really.
Bill

Offline David Tinsley

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 05.11. 2023 12:39 »
G'day Dave.
Cheers
That'll do it Dave.
You can run without a battery with the DVR no prob (and have lights too when it's running if you want), but make sure the wires to the battery are out of the way and not touching anything. Or disconnect the dyn, sure. Whatever's easiest really.

Thanks Musky and Groily.

I dont want to spring for a new battery at this time of year in Canada! Bike is going to be stored, but I want to run it up quickly to see if I have cured another problem
Dave

1955 A10 Golden Flash

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 24.11. 2023 13:28 »
I ran an A65 OIF without a battery for a while.  BSA gave a spec for a competition capacitor you could put in place of the battery.  I meant a hard kick as this is 12v coil ign but it worked. The bike had a Lucas RITA and it used to pick up the voltage spikes from the alternator if the battery was low, the capacitor stopped all that too.   No need with a dynamo but could be a longer term option if the bike doesn't get much use.  I can't recall the spec but it was about the size of an ignition coil and did not cost much.
Slough 59 GF/SR