Author Topic: driveshaft to gearbox bolts  (Read 264 times)

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
driveshaft to gearbox bolts
« on: 29.10. 2023 17:56 »
Sue broke down in the car today.  Fortunately, she was only about five miles away so went out to check what was going on.  Turns out that the driveshaft to gearbox bolts on the nearside had somehow worked themselves loose and had detached the shaft from the 'box.  MoT was only 3 weeks ago and no probs then - car has only been local.  Funnily enough, the offside bolts were fine.  It was me that fitted the new shafts, but they were belted up to the 45nm torque required.  I didn't use threadlocker as it wasn't recommended.

So, what's the pickle.  It might be that the bolts weren't the correct grade, so may well go with VAG genuine.  I also broke one of the spacers, but they're really just connected washers.  Apart from a good clean, new bolts, lots of torque and threadlocker, any other ideas?  Someone did suggest spring washers, but not sure??
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
Re: driveshaft to gearbox bolts
« Reply #1 on: 30.10. 2023 23:47 »
no worty clean everything properly and finish with the degrees specified for the bolts normally . edit - a bit of lube helps after everything has been cleaned, i just remembered , do they give you torque and torque angle to finish off?