Author Topic: older built up crankshaft?  (Read 588 times)

Offline 7iain7

• Moving Up
older built up crankshaft?
« on: 22.10. 2023 11:40 »
I'm in the process of rebuilding a 1952 A10 engine.
I'm going to have the crank reground, looking at the crankshaft I think it's an early version.
I have split conrods with castellated nuts and split pins and what I think is a built up type crank.
There is no nut in the crankshaft for sludge trap, only two large screws at the end of the journals.

My question is does anyone have the regrind dimension for this crank.

Many thanks, Iain
52 A10

Offline berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
Re: older built up crankshaft?
« Reply #1 on: 22.10. 2023 13:28 »
that is the small journal bolt on flywheel crank with 6 bolts, std big end journal size is 1.460 - 1.4595 so regrinds are minus 10thou from this measurement . ie the first grind should give you 1.450.  if the timing side journal is worn it is advisable to get it cleaned up round again and a bush made to fit or an undersized bush fitted and  line bored to fit the new measurement

Online mikeb

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 24.10. 2023 04:43 »
apologies if stating the obvious Ian, but make sure the shop grinds the radii correctly, as per the lovely soft radius of your existing journals. there's heaps of threads about this on the forum, including pics of the cracks that can develop if they don't.
those sludge trap screws are standard - make sure you clean it out and read up on getting them off without too much impact force - eg: https://bsa-info.nz/other-info/?f=1cFf_TPBNyFwHs3hcxpcDmYQjR-jCPDuC. and get some new hex headed ones.
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '21 Triumph Speed Triple RS

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 24.10. 2023 11:33 »
 It's what we call the small journal crank. Nothing special and no need to remove the flywheel before it goes to the grinders. All points made in previous posts are extremely valid, Service sheet 207 (available in Literature Section) gives journal regrind sizes. Print off and show the machinist. For big end journals you have to grind to available replacement bearing shell sizes, Standard less 40 Thou down is the smallest I have seen, so at this point the crank was considered scrap (in times gone by). These days well worn cranks can be recovered by metal spraying, but here the costs soon mount up.

The above link shows the removal of a tubular sludge trap found on the later big journal crank. Small journal cranks have just a simple oilway drilled to join the big end journals, Both types have a small bore oilway leading up from the timing side journal.

Does it actually need a regrind? Wear limit is 2Thou ovality, and unless the journals are scored or with obvious signs of wear most shine up OK. Yours look pretty good from here.

There are plenty of replacement shells around, but maybe not from the grinder's usual trade supplier. You may have to source these yourself.

Make sure the grinder polishes the crank journals after grinding and also removes the razor sharp edge to those oil holes. A clinical clean before assembly is down to you. Lots of horror stories already on the Forum about crank grinding. Sleep Well.

Swarfy.

Offline 7iain7

• Moving Up
« Reply #4 on: 24.10. 2023 20:30 »
@Swarfcut will measure the crank tomorrow.
Thanks for all for the info, it's greatly appreciated.
52 A10

Offline 7iain7

• Moving Up
« Reply #5 on: 26.10. 2023 18:59 »
I brought the crankshaft to work today for a thorough inspection. I work at the site that was formerly Lucas Aerospace in Wolverhampton. The main journals are in good condition. However, the big end journals not only exhibit ovality but also show signs of wear in the centre of the journals.

The big end journal closest to the plain bush exhibits the most significant ovality, measuring at 3-thou. The crankshaft has already undergone a 20-thou regrind, and I am confident that another 10-thousandths regrind will clean up the journals.
52 A10