Author Topic: oil leak  (Read 4637 times)

Offline David Tinsley

• A's Good Friend
oil leak
« on: 17.10. 2023 21:53 »
55 GF SA
Oil leak - not the most original title for a post!
I got the bike running today after it sitting for almost a year. Drained the sump, put it back in the tank and took it up and down my road, probably about .5 mile in all.
Big engine oil leak coming from the primary side towards the rear.
Got my hand up behind the primary case and I can feel it wet, at least as far as I can get my hand, almost to top of inner primary case.
Before I start, possibly unnecessarily, stripping things down does anyone have any ideas what might be causing it?
Thanks,
Dave

1955 A10 Golden Flash

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: oil leak
« Reply #1 on: 17.10. 2023 22:50 »
Hi David,
It is pushing oil out the breather,
Is the oil returning to the tank and not accumulating in the sump?
If all is OK in that respect I suspect the breather cork washer is not thick enough to seal the top hat breather
Remove the outer timing cover and check for end ways movement of the breather

please report back your findings so we can offer further help if needed

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline David Tinsley

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 18.10. 2023 03:21 »
Hi David,
It is pushing oil out the breather,
Is the oil returning to the tank and not accumulating in the sump?
If all is OK in that respect I suspect the breather cork washer is not thick enough to seal the top hat breather
Remove the outer timing cover and check for end ways movement of the breather

please report back your findings so we can offer further help if needed

John

Thanks John,
I will look at that over the next day or so and report back.
David

1955 A10 Golden Flash

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 18.10. 2023 21:26 »
A sticking ball in the scavenge pick-up will cause that as well.

Offline David Tinsley

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 18.10. 2023 22:00 »
A sticking ball in the scavenge pick-up will cause that as well.

oil return to the tank is fine. A sticking ball in scavenge pipe would prevent that, or is my understanding incorrect?

1955 A10 Golden Flash

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #5 on: 18.10. 2023 22:45 »
David did you have the sump plate off or just take a drain plug out, if the latter it has been known that all the oil hasn't drained. i found out with mine a long time ago that when i kicked the engine over loads more oil came out

Offline David Tinsley

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 18.10. 2023 23:11 »
David did you have the sump plate off or just take a drain plug out, if the latter it has been known that all the oil hasn't drained. i found out with mine a long time ago that when i kicked the engine over loads more oil came out

Interesting point. I only took the sump plug out and allowed it to drain. On start up, it did not smoke though? Ran the bike up and down my road for maybe 10 mins and noticed the leak when I parked it up. Maybe I should take it out for another short run and see if it happens again before starting to tear things down?

1955 A10 Golden Flash

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #7 on: 18.10. 2023 23:22 »
David mine threw oil out of the breather one time without any smoke it just chucked it all out , then the next time it vacuumed as i found out when i kicked it, so yours may have still had a sump full and had a wee through the breather, don't tear it down unless you are sure the sump is empty and it happens again with a drained sump

Offline David Tinsley

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #8 on: 18.10. 2023 23:42 »
David mine threw oil out of the breather one time without any smoke it just chucked it all out , then the next time it vacuumed as i found out when i kicked it, so yours may have still had a sump full and had a wee through the breather, don't tear it down unless you are sure the sump is empty and it happens again with a drained sump

Thanks Berger, I will try that.
Thing I do not understand though is how anything can be left in the sump after I took the plug out and watched it drain to nothing?

1955 A10 Golden Flash

Offline fffcycles

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #9 on: 19.10. 2023 02:45 »
Possibly enough oil had gone out the outlet being held in place by the no-return nature of the breather and pressure just blew it out!
Frank
Hydraulics and how we think it will work don’t always work out
Frank P Kamloops BC
1948 A7 Long Stroke, a collection of BSA D1/B44/B50/A65 from the 50's thru 70's, Ariels/Nortons/Triumphs and a smattering of Japanese

Offline sean

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 19.10. 2023 03:30 »
55 GF SA
Oil leak - not the most original title for a post!
I got the bike running today after it sitting for almost a year. Drained the sump, put it back in the tank and took it up and down my road, probably about .5 mile in all.
Big engine oil leak coming from the primary side towards the rear.
Got my hand up behind the primary case and I can feel it wet, at least as far as I can get my hand, almost to top of inner primary case.
Before I start, possibly unnecessarily, stripping things down does anyone have any ideas what might be causing it?
Thanks,
Dave

Breather location pic

Online Colsbeeza

• Resident Legend
« Reply #11 on: 19.10. 2023 03:41 »
David, I don't think a sticking ball in the scavenge pipe would prevent oil returning to the tank. When the ball is seated normally, there is a thin steel pin across the pipe above the ball to prevent the ball getting sucked up into the oil pump. The diameter of the scavenge pipe is much larger than the ball.
Col
1961 Golden Flash
Australia

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 19.10. 2023 09:29 »
 Plenty about this conundrum on the Forum already. Any imbalance between oil supplied and oil returned will result in too much in the sump and out of the breather it comes. The return pump capacity is greater than the supply side, so the engine is designed to have a so called "dry sump" and under normal running  the actual sump should contain very little oil. These engines tend to accumulate oil in the sump on standing, so some exhaust smoke and oil from the breather is to be expected on start up if you're unlucky. This normally clears after a few minutes running as the return side works its magic.

As a start get the sump plate off, check the gauze filter and pick up pipe tip is clear and that the ball valve is free. Stick a plastic tube over the pipe, blow gently......a lot of airflow indicates a leak, typically a fractured or leaky pipe or a loose oilpump. The pump /crankcase joint needs to be sound, the mating gasket profile for each oilway is marginal, and this area is critical. All will cause air rather than oil to be sucked. There should be a fair resistance if all is in order, you are trying to force air up the pipe, through the pump and back to the tank.

Then staring with a truly empty sump, try again. There will be little return to start with, then it should return with gulps of oil and air, then a good strong flow as the throttle is blipped. Folks have had problems with restrictions back to the tank and/or too much oil being fed to the rockers. This means more oil goes back to the sump, exceeding the pump capacity of the return side of the pump.

Most problems of this type can be overcome by a bit of detective work, not a major teardown.

Swarfy.

Online Ted_Flash

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #13 on: 19.10. 2023 09:40 »
I had a similar problem with an A65.  Previous owner had over used RTV sealant, which ended up blocking the whole of the gauze of the sump plate, preventing oil reaching the inlet for return to the oil pump and tank.
Ted Wilkinson, Ramsbottom, Lancashire
1950 Golden Flash

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #14 on: 19.10. 2023 09:41 »
G'day Dave.
After sitting for a year most if not all the oil tank would have been in the sump.
How much oil drains out of the sump after the run?
 Have you checked the oil level in the primary? If the crank seal has gone west a lot of engine oil can end up in the primary and then leak past the felt of the sliding plate.
Cheers

'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7