Author Topic: Battery dieing early  (Read 2023 times)

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Battery dieing early
« Reply #30 on: 03.11. 2023 08:14 »
G'day Kiwi.
Yes the ammeter is a knockoff even if it has "Lucas Made in England" printed on the face.
Can anyone suggest a proper good one, Bill/Andrew?
I've just ordered a digital volt/ammeter (yes Chinese) to double check and another fake original ammeter from a local supplier.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #31 on: 03.11. 2023 14:33 »
Not sure Musky. Just coming back off a 24 hour no comms, no phones, no 4G and largely no leccy spell, which has been boring. (Annoying, as we had wifi and leccy through the worst of it!) But, I'm happy, I still have undamaged roofs. Some people don't, and there are poles and leccy & phone lines, along with minor localised flooded roads, all over the place. With trees adding to the mess.  Neighbour reckoned the gusts hit close to 160kph, and said there were gusts on the west coast, 30 miles away, measured at 207kph. Now that IS a breeze. Luckily, out in the sticks houses aren't built on flood plains - the guys that built these houses in the 17 and 18 hundreds knew where not to put them in a flat marshy area close to the sea, with rivers flowing all around.

Goffy lists lots of ammeters, including 'genuine' Lucas - but are they same as back then? Dunno what 'genuine' means.
See http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/goffyelectrex.htm
Bit of a lottery - maybe Andrew has a known-good  option which has at least some damping.

Personally,  I've favoured the bigger 2" Millers, which I've found, long term,  to be a) accurate, b) stable and c) sit at zero when nothing's on. But not an option on a bike with correct bits usually, and I've only used them with replica or universal type headlamp shells of no consequence. (Apart from on my Miller-equipped LE Velocette of course, where it's standard.)

That said, the one you have and your digi-meter both say there are high currents flying around - and the one you've got didn't show it before, so I'm not sure replacing will do it. I'd fit that new regulator, and look at anything powered other than through the ammeter as first moves.
Bill

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #32 on: 18.11. 2023 00:22 »
G'day Fellas.
 Installed new DVRII and ammeter (Wassel). SAME  *pull hair out*
Had a good look at my spaghetti and think I found a fault. On the in side of the ammeter I had the power, ignition, horn and brake light. Mainly to make sure the ignition would get good voltage if the ammeter poo'd itself.
So now only the power goes in and everything is on the out side.
At idle (no lights) the ammeter shows -1 which would be the Boyer. At full noise (no lights) shows +2. Idle with lights shows -4 (55w H4), at 30mph in 3rd shows 0, full noise shows +2.
I'll live with that.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #33 on: 18.11. 2023 08:15 »
Sounds good to me Musky. Result!
Bill

Offline morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #34 on: 18.11. 2023 17:39 »
At idle (no lights) the ammeter shows -1 which would be the Boyer. At full noise (no lights) shows +2. Idle with lights shows -4 (55w H4), at 30mph in 3rd shows 0, full noise shows +2.
I'll live with that.
Cheers
Which is about the same as my SA’s ammeter shows with the same setup as yours so should be alright now.
I have a Pazon ignition with Emgo coils which seem to consume a bit more because at idle my ammeter goes down to -3, and with lights to -4 in spite of having only a 35/35w bulb and leds at the rear
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium