Author Topic: 4 spring cluctch springs ?  (Read 1728 times)

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: 4 spring cluctch springs ?
« Reply #15 on: 15.10. 2023 20:33 »
Many Thanks !

On the subject of clutch operation ..how do I make the clutch as light as possible ?
Splitting the pushrod and inserting either a ball bearing or a roller ?
If so what size do these need to be please or are there other methods ?
I get cramp in My clutch fingers and am struggling sometimes so any advice would be appreciated greatly .
Ought to add that I have ordered the SRM clutch cover with needle bearing operation on advice from the forum .
Do I need to adjust My pushrod accordingly and this would be the time I would cut it to insert either the ball bearing or roller ?
How much heat is recommended by members please for pushrod hardening and is this quenched in oil ?

Thank You in advance,
Steve..

If you have to adjust the springs up too tight to stop slippage it could be the plates are the root cause, even if they are in spec thickness wise.

I was struggling to get my B44 clutch to not slip when fitted with surflex brand plates, I fitted “barnett” brand and it was an instant fix, even though the barnett plates have smaller friction “pads”.

I guess the surflex plates were burnt or ruined by friction modified oil or something. I did not try sanding them clean but that might have worked as well.

A pic is attached of the surflex and barnett plates (I dont know if there is a barnett plate for the 4 or 6 plate bsa clutch)

New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline Jules

• Resident Legend
  • 1956 A10 s/arm Golden Flash
« Reply #16 on: 16.10. 2023 11:18 »
looks to me like the original plates are burnt Kiwi!!  *eek*

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 16.10. 2023 19:35 »
looks to me like the original plates are burnt Kiwi!!  *eek*

I think they might have got a bit hot, but it’s not clear if that caused the slippage, or whether the slippage caused the hotness 😆.

I actually bought some new unbranded friction plates before the Barnett ones that also worked fine without excessive spring pressure, but they turned out to be made of cheese and the tangs virtually disappeared after 500 miles. See before and after pics. At least they were nearer the correct thickness, unlike the Surflex (and Barnett plates for that matter).

Although my experience with various duff plates is with a B44 it does highlight the urban myths that can arise due to the existence of poor aftermarket parts. The B44 clutch is pretty universally maligned as being not up to the job and heavy to use, with expensive aftermarket pressure plates, methods of fitting extra plates etc commonly used to fix the issues, whereas on my bike it was simply a matter of finding a good set of friction plate (that lasted). Oh, and fitting the correct length spring cups.

New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline Jules

• Resident Legend
  • 1956 A10 s/arm Golden Flash
« Reply #18 on: 19.10. 2023 10:51 »
I dont think I've ever seen such evenly worn plate tangs like that Kiwi, well designed failure mode LoL!!

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #19 on: 21.02. 2024 09:24 »
Check the clutch outer for wear steps where the plates contact. These can really mess up the operation of the clutch.  A common bodge was to stick a 2nd plate at the inside to move all the plates out off the wear steps.  Its worth looking closely and spending time filing off any wear.  If yours had 2 plates at the inside it may be a sign the clutch housing has wear ridges.
Slough 59 GF/SR