Author Topic: To rebuild myself or have professionally done  (Read 2220 times)

Offline 7iain7

• Moving Up
To rebuild myself or have professionally done
« on: 16.08. 2023 19:58 »
Hi all.
My A10 was burning oil and sounded quite poorly.
I removed the cylinder head and barrels. The barrels didn't look too bad. I will take them to work and measure them with an internal bore micrometer. However, the pistons look quite bad. From what I could tell, the big ends and small ends are shot.

My main question is how difficult are these engines to rebuild? I have rebuilt British Leyland A-series engines (with a 649 cam a few other goodies.)a few times in the 1980s. However, I have never rebuilt a motorcycle engine. I am an apprentice trained toolmaker by trade.

52 A10

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: To rebuild myself or have professionally done
« Reply #1 on: 16.08. 2023 20:15 »
G'day Iain.
For an apprentice toolmaker it should be a walk in the park.
All the help and advice you may need is right here on the Forum.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 16.08. 2023 20:21 »
These engines are very simple but with some tricky bits that you need to know about. Everything you could possibly need to know is within this forum. There is not a better source of support for the A7 & A10. The forum search functions are good but if you ask a question you will get help from some of the world's most knowledable wizards on these bikes. Lucky you;  you've landed in the right place 👍

It only costs 500 a year to be a member. I'll tell you my bank details shortly 😉
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline 7iain7

• Moving Up
« Reply #3 on: 16.08. 2023 20:54 »
This forum is a gold mine of information and the members are so helpful, thank you all.
52 A10

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 16.08. 2023 21:28 »
Good luck with the project 👍
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline sean

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 16.08. 2023 23:45 »
rebuild yourself at least you will know everything is right ....
pick up a parts book and service sheets
be a piece of cake and you will know everything about the inner workings when your done ....there isnt a problem that cant be solved with the knowledge in this forum.... oh dont forget the sludge trap and put a return line filter on you will be good for many years .
you can do it best of luck .

Offline BagONails

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 17.08. 2023 02:52 »
It's a long time since I was an apprentice toolmaker but I've not found any problem so far that I couldn't find the answer to either by searching or asking a question on here, it is a fantastic resource and a real community.

I bought an A10 that looked good but proved to have a few hidden problems about 3 years ago, with no previous experience with British Bikes. (When I left school in 1978 they were considered by all of us to be a bit of a joke, under powered, old fashioned, poorly made and dropping oil etc. and we were all much more interested in the Japanese RD250's / X7's and later GS750 /GS1000's Z1's and CB900's etc.) Now I'm over sixty I'm less interested in outright performance and enjoy pootling around the lanes on a bike with character. The A10 is perfect for this and there's a good social side that goes with it through the local club so I don't regret my purchase in any way and I love the fact the bike is so simple with no plastic bits to crack and fall off and can be maintained yourself with basic tools.

It sounds like you are a practical man with an engineering background so have a go, you can always take it somewhere if you get stuck or don't have the time but for me half the fun of these machines is what you can do yourself and the satisfaction that comes with it.  Having said that I still marvel at my W800 which is very enjoyable in the same way has character and makes all the right noises and vibrations but starts effortlessly on the button, and stops even better, rolls onto the stand with ease and doesn't leak a drop!

Ian
59 GF A10
67 Spitfire under resto
2013 kwaka W800 Desert Sled (ex write off)

Nil Desperandum

Online Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 17.08. 2023 10:39 »
 Walk in the park for a man of your intellect and skills. Search out those Whitworth Spanners, "read the books "....find BSA Service Sheets in the Forum Literature  Section and away you go.

With barrel etc already off, the whole engine and gearbox unit comes out as a lump. Split off the primary drive, timing covers, dynamo, gearbox and the cases can be split. You may need a claw extractor for the crank timing pinion, but otherwise it is straightforward and all detailed in the books.

These engines do suffer from accumulation of sludge and debris in the crankshaft cross oilway, the so called sludge trap, and a strip and clean on any unknown or neglected engine is well worth doing to prevent future expensive  inconvenient failure. Bear in mind big end bearings always have a little sideways rock, but should have no up and down movement. Crank endfloat is supposedly a mere 2-5 thou if you're lucky. Most have a fair degree of slop and run quite happily. YouTube is a good practical source, well worth a look.

Plenty of horror stories about so called professional builders. Have a word with Bergs about one of his recent back from the dead renovations....an extremely well deserved success against a background of some of the most ill thought out engineering codges by a so called expert we have ever experienced.

Don't condemn the pistons without close examination, the rings are the most likely failure. A distinct wear ridge at the top of the bore is a further indicator. Good used pistons have a value to those rebuilding on a budget, don't simply discard them.

Swarfy.

Online jhg1958

• Valued Contributor
  • The more I learn I realise how little I know
« Reply #8 on: 18.08. 2023 08:34 »
Iain

There is a third way. I was uncertain about rebuilding my engine so I went a local engineer (David Ashton) and asked him for help and advice. He rebuilt the bottom end including a rebore, and cylinder head.  I did a lot of the donkey work taking bits to be machined or blasted.  I learned a lot from Dave as he had massive experience measuring all the rotating parts checking for wear and advising on replacement that I would have missed.

I enjoyed the timing side rebuild and the rest of the engine and gearbox work.

I would tackle another engine now but at least i know the shortcomings of my tools and workshop not to mention my skills. 

I trained to be a chemist so had no formal training in mechanical engineering so it puts me behind the skill curve against Iain.

These are forgiving engines, in my 20s I bought a non runner and naively I took it apart in the kitchen rebuilt it. It ran fine until I stupidly sold it.  It did rattle a bit.

John
1961 Golden Flash S/Arm

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 18.08. 2023 14:25 »
Common sense goes a long way.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 18.08. 2023 17:39 »
Well, it used to - trouble is commonsense ain't so common these days  *eek*
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #11 on: 18.08. 2023 17:42 »
Well, it used to - trouble is commonsense ain't so common these days  *eek*

Ain't THAT the bloody truth!
Bill

Offline Minto

• Resident Legend
« Reply #12 on: 18.08. 2023 23:27 »
With the help of the generous folk on this forum I stripped and rebuilt the engine on my 52 A10, twice. The first time just to check on the sludge trap, the second time using some new bits which I couldn't afford the first time.
I really enjoyed the process and the learning.
It's finding the time for the finer points of tuning and getting the thing to run as it should that I'm struggling with.
I'm not bad with the spanners but by no means an engineer.
You'll do fine for sure.
52 A10 plunger
Aprilia RSVR

Offline Slymo

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #13 on: 02.09. 2023 23:02 »
They are motors that are designed to be maintained and rebuilt so are actually pretty intuitive.  If you have good tool hands and it sounds like you do then I'd say go for it. One plea I would make and it won't be universally agreed with is keep it standard as much as possible. No belt drives, no 12 volts, no timing side conversions, no aftermarket gewgaws just a nice original machine. Make any improvements reversible, upping the compression (a bit) for example is no damage mod. Best thing about these bikes is how well they go and how long they've lasted. Rant over :)
NZ

Online Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #14 on: 03.09. 2023 06:47 »
I'm with Slymo here. It's easy to be persuaded that you MUST spend a fortune on to my mind questionable upgrades. These bike were pretty good out of the factory and with care remain pretty good to this day. 
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep