Author Topic: auto-advance question  (Read 573 times)

Offline Brandis

• A's Good Friend
auto-advance question
« on: 16.07. 2023 21:20 »
So, I'm finally back at it and having first start up issues.   I assume the auto-advance should easily return to 'resting position' when not manually advanced.  Mine is pretty sticky.  I know they don't dismantle so freeing it up is an issue. 

I get some coughs and bits of smoke when kicking and a serious knock during the brief runs.

I'm following the 5/16" BTDC while fully auto-advanced protocol.
47 A7

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: auto-advance question
« Reply #1 on: 16.07. 2023 21:28 »
First, returning to retarded is not always achieved by the return springs, but happens when the engine starts to turn the mag (the drag ensures return to retard).
Knocking could be caused by excessive advance - but unlikely under light load. Also, that much over-advance would combine with a fairly hefty kick-back at starting. Don't like saying this, but sounds more mechanical to me.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: auto-advance question
« Reply #2 on: 17.07. 2023 03:33 »
On the question of retard by spring return, I made this video (gulp!) 14 years ago. Not saying there aren't other things going on, but knowing the parts are working correctly helps narrow the search.

https://youtu.be/rkEq3HYK6RA

Richard L.