Author Topic: Tired tools... consequences!  (Read 263 times)

Online CheeserBeezer

• Valued Contributor
    • Priory Magnetos Ltd
Tired tools... consequences!
« on: 19.06. 2023 23:59 »
Father's Day didn't go so well on Sunday. The newly acquired Super Rocket had dumped its fork oil on the garage floor overnight so I thought I'd fit some new seals. I knew this would inevitably lead to further issues but, hey, what choice did I have? So, I jacked the front end up, removed the wheel and the left-side stanchion and slider. As is my usual practice I fastened the lower part of the slider in the vice and, as you would expect, twizzled the fork stanchion to check for any waggle at the top, indicating bent leg.... and yes, my fork stanchion had a definite knee in it. Anyway the next job was to remove the seal holder. I have the correct tool but it's getting a bit tired and tends to jump out of the notches in the seal holder. This seal holder was proving to be particularly stiff so I got up close and personal with it so I could exert lots of downward pressure to prevent the tool jumping out of the notches. Just as the seal holder started to shift the tool jumped out of the notches, I hit myself under the chin (technically a left uppercut, I believe) and broke four teeth. Later that day I went ten-pin-bowling with the family and got beaten by my grandson.....who is five years old. I smiled through gritted teeth, yes, still spitting out bits of tooth. Anyway, the moral of the story, don't use worn-out tools. I visited my dentist today who dremeled my teeth back into shape, the cost of which will be factored into the value of my new Super Rocket. I'm happy to report that the suspension is now fixed, new stanchions and seals both sides, as is the seal holder tool, also dremeled back into shape. I should have done that in the first place, shouldn't I?

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
Re: Tired tools... consequences!
« Reply #1 on: 20.06. 2023 05:39 »
Ouch
For some time I have done this job upside down
tool oon the floor with be standing on it fork on tool
Tommy bar replacing axel
That way I can really put a lot of weight on the tool and as the tommy bar is quite long a lot of torque on the seal holder
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 20.06. 2023 06:18 »
G'day Andrew.
Bugga. Not your day, and to be beaten by a 5 year old  *lol*
Should this be in Members woes?

That's a good idea Trevor. Although if the tool does slip the family jewels would be in the firing line  *eek*
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Colsbeeza

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 20.06. 2023 06:20 »
Hi Andrew, Suggest you leave off buying the lottery ticket until tomorrow.
Col
1961 Golden Flash
Australia

Online CheeserBeezer

• Valued Contributor
    • Priory Magnetos Ltd
« Reply #4 on: 20.06. 2023 06:49 »
G'day Andrew.
Bugga. Not your day, and to be beaten by a 5 year old  *lol*
Should this be in Members woes?

That's a good idea Trevor. Although if the tool does slip the family jewels would be in the firing line  *eek*
Cheers
"Should this be in members' woes"?...   Whilst the post is quite light-heated, I was making a serious point about using decent tools and either fixing or chucking stuff which is broken or worn. How often have we skinned our knuckles when using tired tools or the wrong tool for the job?

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 20.06. 2023 09:41 »
Jeez Andrew, I'm glad your eyes were not in the firing line ☹️
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 20.06. 2023 09:53 »
When I was a mechanic removing an old rusty exhaust pipe from a car on the hoist I've punched myself in the face more than once when my possibley worn spanner slipped off the rounded rusty nut. Such fun!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash