Author Topic: plunger qd hub stub axle dimensions  (Read 362 times)

Offline Von datoh

• Moving Up
plunger qd hub stub axle dimensions
« on: 12.06. 2023 23:16 »
Hi there,does anyone have the measurements of the stub axle(part no;67-6060) i have had a little look through the forum posts but cant seem to find decent set of measurements.Also does anyone have the sizes of the nut(part no;67-6074) as well.Started again on the plunger project been making parts for it on the lathe.thanks in advance.Von.
Somerset
A10 plunger

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: plunger qd hub stub axle dimensions
« Reply #1 on: 13.06. 2023 10:22 »
  Just grabbed one. Overall length 83 mm. Max OD, wheel end, 30.8mm. This section is 20mm long. Reduces to 25mm for 40mm to suit ID of chainwheel ball race, with a couple of flats to locate in suspension lug. Then reduced diameter and threaded for remainder of length,

My records show sleeve nut 67 6074 is threaded CEI 7/8" X 20 TPI

Measured with the cheapest Chinese plastic caliper. As usual, do your own research as to accuracy of offered information.

Internally, machined to match wheel spindle, which on Plunger bikes extends the whole width of the wheel/hub assembly. Counterbored at the wheel end to a depth of 17mm. ID here matches major diameter on wheel spindle, 22.3mm. ID then reduces to the threaded end, reduced spindle OD given as 9/16". Spindle nut 67 6073 is 9/16" X 20 CEI

Swarfy.

Offline Von datoh

• Moving Up
« Reply #2 on: 13.06. 2023 10:33 »
Thanks for your reply I will sit down later and try and put a drawing together to make the parts,do you know roughly the overall length of that nut,and is it counterbored 17mm depth for the other “nut” that tightens the main spindle.
Somerset
A10 plunger

Offline Von datoh

• Moving Up
« Reply #3 on: 13.06. 2023 10:45 »
I see you added some more information on your post thanks again,I’m gonna machine that spacer and nut and then black them.much appreciated out of curiosity where you based in the uk?
Somerset
A10 plunger

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 13.06. 2023 10:49 »
 The large nut that holds the chainwheel assembly to the frame lug, sleeve nut 67 6074, is 32mm long. Threaded for half of its length, then bored larger to clear the OD of the spindle nut 67 6073. On my example the counterbore is a gnats' give or take 16mm.

Unless you're building something radical, these are all standard parts that turn up on ebay or autojumble/bike shows and new repro's in stainless. But fair play to fabricate from scratch.

Plunger rear spindle assembly.  Spindle and sleeve, retaining nuts, one wheel bearing and the hub centre bearing spacer tube.. Spindle nut is a poor example....

Final Pics spacer collar 67 6078 for use with early type plain backplate.

Swarfy.

Offline Von datoh

• Moving Up
« Reply #5 on: 13.06. 2023 11:03 »
Thanks for your input again and yea I can see them on eBay etc,but I bought the bike as mainly bits and am building it up I pretty much need most parts to build the hub hence why I’ve been machining them up,I’m lucky I’ve got access to good steel stock,besides if I add up all those little bits be surprised what they total up to.I don’t suppose you know the size of that part 67-6078 it’s a “hub collar”
Somerset
A10 plunger

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 13.06. 2023 11:21 »
 This is an awkward part! On my bike it was part of the chainwheel/brake drum. On other versions it is part of the backplate.  So it depends on the parts you already have. Others will no doubt add their thoughts.

Swarfy.