Author Topic: Thorspark Electronic Ignition  (Read 570 times)

Offline Superarnie

• A's Good Friend
Thorspark Electronic Ignition
« on: 07.05. 2023 18:14 »
Hi all, I am converting the K2F magneto on my BSA Spitfire Scrambler to a Thorspark Electronic Ignition system. I wondered if anyone on this forum has installed this system and would be kind enough to give me some advice. Apologies if im being a bit thick here but I have placed the pickup inside the magneto housing but can't see how it is secured in there. Obviously there is the cap which on mine is a screw on type cap, but there is a few degrees of rotation of the pickup when in the housing which surely needs to be locked off in some way with a couple of screws? I have the Thorspark instructions that were supplied with the kit but they don't seem to cover this point.
I have attached an image for your reference.
Thanks in anticipation of your help
Gary
1960 Spitfire Scrambler

Offline Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Thorspark Electronic Ignition
« Reply #1 on: 07.05. 2023 18:36 »
I can't remember the details to be able to answer your question, but I did phone up Thorspark directly and spoke to a very helpful and knowledgeable person  who cheerfully answered my queries.

Offline Superarnie

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 07.05. 2023 20:45 »
Thank Rex, if there's nobody here that can advise me, I'll give then a call on Tuesday.
Regards
Gary
1960 Spitfire Scrambler

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #3 on: 08.05. 2023 06:43 »
Not advice really - but with a manual advance like on your mag, isn't the Thorspark bit supposed to rotate through a similar arc as the original camring did, to advance and retard the sparks mechanically? It's ages since I looked at one and I can't recall the exact details, but isn't there a (slightly funny-shaped) notch, and a stop screw  to limit the movement at about 7 o'clock in your pic?
Bill

Offline Flash

• Active
« Reply #4 on: 02.06. 2023 13:56 »
I'm guessing you've sorted the problem by now Gary, I've only recently joined the forum so have only just seen your post. I have just fitted the Thorspark unit on my 59 A10 GF but mine is auto a/r so I used one of the other notches. As far as I can tell though, you have done it correctly, the manual a/r utilises the long slot and then the unit is held in by the cap. You will probably need to fit the spacer supplied in the kit to get the required clearance.
I've only recently bought the bike but I was having a lot of trouble with the mag, probably a lot was due to a worn cam ring but I made the decision to go electronic. A lot of the reason for that choice was because of the timescale for getting the mag reconditioned. It's early days but I have to say I don't regret my decision, glorious fat blue sparks, first kick starting, hot or cold and lovely even tickover. Also, it can be reverted back to mag if so desired with no damage done.