Author Topic: QD rear wheel bearing fitment  (Read 684 times)

Offline Kickaha

• Valued Contributor
QD rear wheel bearing fitment
« on: 17.04. 2023 06:40 »
Thought I'd change the rear wheel bearing on the A10 as they felt a bit rough, bought some new bearings 65-5883 from somewhere and they had the same bearing number as those removed RLS-7

On installing the new bearings they went from feeling very smooth to feeling just as rough as the bearings I took out, removed them and they're back to feeling normal

I checked the old bearing and out of the hub they feel normal but putting it back in go back to the same rough rooted bearing feeling

The bearings aren't marked for clearance so I presume are C0/CN should I be looking for a C3 or something in that size ?

I don't have the gear to accurately measure bearing od and bore size to see how much interference fit there it
1956 BSA Gold Flash
New Zealand

Offline jjbsa

• A's Good Friend
Re: QD rear wheel bearing fitment
« Reply #1 on: 30.05. 2023 20:45 »
Hi Kickaha, 

I've had the same problem on a BSA with the crinkle rear hub and it needed C3 fit bearings to sort it out, C0 bearings were seriously tight.  On inspection the old bearings were C3 fit.  I posted this on another forum
https://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/907969/re-bearing-info-for-crinkle-hubs#Post907969

I hope that helps.  I found finding C3 fit bearing difficult and had to get ones without oil seals.

Cheers,

Jon

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 30.05. 2023 23:41 »
No comment on the bearing, but very coincidental that your post on the other forum occurs just beneath one by our old friend Snowbeard, who was last heard from here in 2009.

Richard L.

Offline Kickaha

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 31.05. 2023 06:44 »
I hope that helps.  I found finding C3 fit bearing difficult and had to get ones without oil seals.

I cant find C3 bearings here so far, the best supplier here only has C0, I'll have a look online
1956 BSA Gold Flash
New Zealand

Offline jjbsa

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 31.05. 2023 14:13 »
I had to pay over £20 for each C3 bearing a couple of years ago.  I've just found a couple of UK stockists which might help you
https://www.bearing-king.co.uk/bearing/lj7-8jc3-rhp-imperial-open-deep-groove-ball-bearing-7-8x2x9-16-inch/6405
and
https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p510287/Major-Brand-LJ7/8C3-Imperial-Open-Deep-Groove-Ball-Bearing-7/8x2x9/16-inch/product_info.html
but again, the prices of these bearings are even worse than 2 years ago.  Makes me suspect the stocks of these are drying up.

Offline Kickaha

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 31.05. 2023 20:15 »
but again, the prices of these bearings are even worse than 2 years ago.  Makes me suspect the stocks of these are drying up.

They're certainly getting up there, I bought the bearings from a classic bike site but can't remember which one, I refitted the old bearings to check and sure enough they felt rough as well and had no markings on them so if that's what I have to pay to fix the problem I will, given how much the rest of the bike is costing it's not much as a percentage  *smile*

1956 BSA Gold Flash
New Zealand

Offline Catz

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 01.06. 2023 17:39 »
When i was renovating, if you can call it that, my 1960 A10 i took the old bearings out of both wheels and found them to be metric sizes, 6204, but i just replaced them with the same.
Seems good enough and the bike handles a lot better than i was expecting for an old Brit.
Crewe, Cheshire, England 1960 A10

Offline Kickaha

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 24.06. 2023 01:32 »
After taking to a guy at one of the local bearing suppliers and following his advice the fix was easy enough, take out and throw away what he suspects is a cheap Chinese bearing supplied by a reputable BSA website with some other bits I bought and fit a better-quality Japanese made bearing at $40NZD each.

The bearings now spin nicely before and after fitting, the guy at the bearing supplier was familiar with that bearing and the usage in British bike wheels so that probably helped and he said it is a common problem.
1956 BSA Gold Flash
New Zealand

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 24.06. 2023 09:07 »
Trouble with a lot of Chinese stuff is the poor treatment / choice of materials. A few days ago the stonemason working on some walls for me showed me a newish cold chisel - split in half! Neither he nor I had seen that before.
Yes, I use Chinese stuff, but only where it's non-critical and also quick / easy to replace when it fails.
Bearings? As with most things in life, you get what you pay for. What do you expect for £3? I always make sure the actual manufacturer is one known for quality. Relying on the supplier is not always a guarantee of quality - they could be passing on a Chinese item @ 5x the price they bought it for.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline jjbsa

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #9 on: 24.06. 2023 09:42 »
Regarding that hub mentioned earlier on in this thread that had a metric bearing, I think it may be off an A65.  I dimly remember hearing that they had different bearings.  Hope that might help,
Jon

Offline Kickaha

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 24.06. 2023 20:14 »
Bearings? As with most things in life, you get what you pay for. What do you expect for £3? I always make sure the actual manufacturer is one known for quality. Relying on the supplier is not always a guarantee of quality - they could be passing on a Chinese item @ 5x the price they bought it for.

Normally I have always bought direct either from SKF or another bearing supplier and well-known brands, these I bought with a bunch of other stuff online, there's only about 3 or 4 suppliers I use but unfortunate I can't find the invoice to see who I got them from and how they are advertised and I'm pretty sure they were a damn sight more than £3 more like 3 x that at least
1956 BSA Gold Flash
New Zealand