Author Topic: Jeep marketing  (Read 325 times)

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Jeep marketing
« on: 11.09. 2022 22:59 »
I just love this!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
Re: Jeep marketing
« Reply #1 on: 12.09. 2022 12:52 »
For comparison (right side up!) some publicity for the Land Rover Series 1.
Never having had either, can't comment - but I wouldn't mind one of whichever, have to say.
Bill

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 12.09. 2022 13:20 »
Can have my share of Landrover. Wouldn't have one if it was free. Horrible to drive, can take 2 days or more to fit a clutch, leaf springs give a terrible ride and are prone to breakage, rear halfshafts often break, the diesel model had loads of engine issues etc etc. Even the modern Defender is seriously uncomfortable and has a serious lack of steering lock. I've had Landrovers stuck where a car would go.
Note that in Africa and countries where rugged, reliable vehicles are needed, there's not a Landrover in sight - only Toyotas.
On the other hand, a Jeep (certainly the old ones) are far better in all regards, especially in off-road ability.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline scotty

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 12.09. 2022 14:13 »
As a young man I was into military vehicles and owned WWII era Willys and Ford jeeps. Both practical work horses, easy to work on but not great for long driving.
The french company Hodgekiss built them under license right up to the late 60’s for french military and kept the same WWII design and looks with a few modern improvements like an improved engine and 12v waterproofed electrics. I had one and can attest to its functionality.
My old man had an austin champ and land rovers over the years.
It helped that he was in the REME for military service so he was a dab hand at wrenching on these types of things and showing me some tricks.

Scotty

Current liabilities:
'56 A10 Dark Flash
‘74 Berlin Bomber R75-6

Offline Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #4 on: 12.09. 2022 16:45 »
I like my Land Rovers, particularly my Series 1 80". Described as the slowest, noisiest least comfortable means of getting from A to B they are still great fun.

In over 25 years of driving, only had to call recovery once and that was a clutch problem in one which had just come back from a rebuild.

All classic leafers of course.
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 12.09. 2022 17:30 »
We had a Series 2 long wheelbase with a non turbo diesel engine for 12 years when our kids were young. It was underpowered and noisy and cold in the winter but we all loved it. With its low C of G the road holding was amazing.

In this picture my wife is driving, daughter Polly is in front of me waving, with Thomas between.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 12.09. 2022 22:24 »
Had a 94 hilux surf diesel 2.8l auto for years, as daily driver, but it had a fundamental design flaw that caused it to overheat when towing a horse float. Torque converter was on the way out at 120k miles. Parts really expensive as well.
Replaced it 10 years ago with a 96 Diesel discovery 1 2.5 auto which has always got some niggles going on, (especially electrics) its 220k miles now on original engine, and I love it. It’s slow but can tow anything (3.5 tonnes capacity). Does 30mpg on a run but given fuel costs nowadays is a “second” car not daily driver, does the odd 4wd outing. Ridiculously cheap parts. Great driving position.

Would I recommend a mate to buy a Discovery 1? not unless he had enough mechanical skills to own an A10  *smile*

The series landrovers are definitely in the  “classic” arena now, expensive, and yes are very basic. I wouldn’t want one except for going on classic car runs etc. Same pretty much goes for the later Defenders….the latest Defender , without a chassis, is a different car completely.

My disco was made under BMW ownership (94-2000) then Ford owned LR, then Tata. It’s not even British  *conf2*

New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts