Author Topic: A new member with a newly acquired A10 1960  (Read 3249 times)

Offline cbranni

• Moving Up
A new member with a newly acquired A10 1960
« on: 18.08. 2022 16:31 »
Hello to all,

As the title says I am a new member so thank you for allowing me to join this very informative forum. My name is Colin and I am from Swansea (Wales) aged 72 and single, retired toolmaker (ex Bowden) and I have bought an A10, it runs quite well, brakes are poor and it is very shabby been brush painted black a few times including most of the fixings and shiny bits, saying that it's all there and in solid condition.

It's had four previous owners and has always been black, for some reason it has a lot of chrome nuts, bolts washers, maybe a previous owner fitted them. My aim is to rebuild to a decent standard and useable, it won't be shiny and I will reuse as much as I can like the exhausts, seat, tyres, speedo, mag and dynamo are in good enough condition just need good clean and the chrome on the tank will do, it has some epoxy liner in it and two gallons of fresh petrol.

I bought the bike two weeks ago and made a start on it last weekend stripping it completely down labelling and bagging as we go, I say we because my lifelong friend Leon works with me on a Friday and Saturday he is also retired and a is very good with paint, fabrication and welding for a short person.

I could log our progress if that is allowed on here and of course if anyone is interested so I shall see what response I receive. For those who like "it's only original once" this may not be for them.

Thank you for reading and I shall be asking a lot of questions as the build goes on, to be honest the search engine is my best friend.

Kind regards Colin

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: A new member with a newly acquired A10 1960
« Reply #1 on: 18.08. 2022 16:41 »
..... he is also retired and a is very good with paint, fabrication and welding for a short person.

😁
I'm not sure you are allowed to mention a person's height in these days of 'wokeness' 😜

Your local BSAOC clan are a great bunch.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 18.08. 2022 20:54 »
G'day Colin  *welcome*
Good onya for joining the best forum on the planet.
Loads of help here and remember there's no such thing as a silly question (may be some weird answers).
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline CheeserBeezer

• Valued Contributor
    • Priory Magnetos Ltd
« Reply #3 on: 19.08. 2022 07:58 »
Great to hear about another A10 getting put back on the road, properly! Any help you need is on this forum, simple as that.

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #4 on: 19.08. 2022 11:44 »
Very good to see you on here Colin. Definitely in the right place, as you can already tell.
Best from here, Bill
Bill

Offline Colsbeeza

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 19.08. 2022 13:20 »
Hi Colin, from one to another also with 1960-61 A10. Welcome *welcome*
This is the best place for advice and argument discussion.
Colin
1961 Golden Flash
Australia

Offline cbranni

• Moving Up
« Reply #6 on: 19.08. 2022 16:33 »
Thank you all for the warm welcome you have given me and I hope I can be of help to fellow members but as my knowledge of BSA twins is minimal maybe not but time will tell. Last weekend the bike was totally stripped down and frame wise only the brake shoes needed replacing front and back, swinging arm was solid as was the rear suspension, head bearings were taper rollers and okay, fork bushes are fine , wheel bearings okay too. the rims need replacing, the spokes are stainless so will polish up nicely. the wiring harness is a mess and went straight in the bin.

We took gearbox apart and all is fine, there is a 4 spring clutch fitted so I may be asking questions later but it did work well, the primary is in fair condition, couple of helicoils here and there and signs on the outer casing of both the shock absorber and clutch coming loose, both chains are shot but on the whole no big problems (my boss used to say there are no problems only opportunities, yeah).

Now we come to the engine which was running very sweet, no smoke or rattles so good bits first plus twenty on the bore and ring gap is .010" and no lip in the bore so I think that's fine so nothing to do there, the big end are on standard and within limits, I shall replace the shells as the drive side looked a little tarnished, the timing side bush is on minus thirty and feels okay. The bad bits are the valve guides very worn and will be changed, recut the seats and re grind the valves all doable and finally the sludge trap, I failed to remove the either of the plugs using heat and impact driver so I put it up in my CCM and drilled the both out, drilled shade under taping size and gently coaxed what was left out. When the sludge tube was removed it was well full, the photo shows the quantity in the tube but maybe I have moved it all to one side.

Also last weekend began my favourite job........................paint stripping, using paint stripper, wire brush and a Stanley blade, oh what a joy

Last Monday I placed an order with Drags for shells. sludge tube and plugs, guides, seals, locking washers plus all the little bits need to rebuild the box and engine, I ordered a full bike set of gaskets from SRM including solid copper head gasket for just over £61 which I thought was good value, I would like your thoughts on that.

So this post took us up to last Saturday I shall post again on Sunday about our exploits this weekend, please comment good or bad I value your opinions, also are the photos big enough this time.

Kind regards Colin

PS Cheers Bill

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 19.08. 2022 22:12 »
Seeing that clogged sludge trap makes me very happy 👍
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 20.08. 2022 10:25 »
Honestly Master Greybeard I am just lost for words.

Is there no limit to your depravity?
What can I say 🙄
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline cbranni

• Moving Up
« Reply #9 on: 21.08. 2022 16:16 »
Hi all,

Not much to show but it was a dirty couple of days stripping paint, the frame wasn't too bad only one coat of black on top of a layer of grey came off very easy but the engine plates, forks, stays and chain guard had couple of coats of black over primer over red lead was hard work. The oil tank and tool box were both black over red, the machine was all black when sold new.

So progress is being made, take all

Regards Colin

Offline berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #10 on: 21.08. 2022 20:14 »
SHM i don't understand anything at the moment *smile*

Offline cbranni

• Moving Up
« Reply #11 on: 28.08. 2022 07:52 »
Hope everyone is well, we wanted to put the engine back together this weekend so first thing was to set the end float, which was before dismantling the engine .010", trawling through this very knowledgeable forum I found end float values ranging from zero to .005" and the book says .003" so I went for .0025". (but that was by luck more than judgement)

Once that was sorted we went to fit the new big end shells and fit the con rods but on opening the big end box we found it only contained one pair of shells not two, not good but the supplier is sending replacements next week, so engine build was put on hold.

On to the head, removed the old worn out valve guides and replaced with new, recut the seats and reground the valve face, lapped them in and build up the head, job done. The plugs in the head are old ones just to fill the hole.

Offline cbranni

• Moving Up
« Reply #12 on: 28.08. 2022 08:01 »
We had time to spare so the gearbox was build up, replacing bearings, springs and seals, it went together nicely and Leon even "chucked" some primer on a few parts, it's all progressing well.

Online terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #13 on: 28.08. 2022 08:34 »
Your toolmaking past is clearly paying huge dividends.
Thanks for an interesting thread.
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #14 on: 30.08. 2022 16:15 »
SHM  this could have been a line for Peter Sallis  in "last of the summer wine "

I have always thought that not knowing is an important skill.  The perfect way to push yourself into gaining answers.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom