Author Topic: Fork Leg Remedial Fix  (Read 2791 times)

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Fork Leg Remedial Fix
« Reply #45 on: 16.04. 2023 16:37 »
I tried the vise-grip circlip installation method for the shim measurement test and it worked well, but didn't find enough gap for the likes of me to worry about.

Having done that, the woes go on. I may ride my bike again before I die, but the stoppers need to stop. On testing a new bush in the, evidently, NOS slider, it would not enter smoothly. Reduced the bush OD by under 0.001" and it entered but stopped 2/3  of the way in. Kept reducing the bush until it was about 0.003" less than start, so went looking for another reason. Yep, a little inward dimple in powder coat revealed a bump that can be seen inside the tube. Supplier "said send it back and I'll have my machinist look at it." I've sent it back while thinking "good luck with that." The slider can't readily be held in a lathe chuck. We'll see what happens.

Richard L.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #46 on: 16.04. 2023 22:15 »
G'day Richard.
A good machinist would do it.
The down side is you'll need another bush.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #47 on: 17.04. 2023 02:54 »
I think the method would be a 1.478" (or like that) reamer. Not something I was willing to buy, on chance, when I was playing with my old ones.

Richard L.

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #48 on: 28.04. 2023 00:38 »
Hopefully (for all of you), this stupid, now eight-month-old story, of my bad fork leg may be coming to it’s conclusion before I do. The provider (Baxter Cycle) got the leg repaired and back to me quite quickly. They also replaced the bush, no questions asked. If all goes well, I can get her back together this weekend and start riding, not quite before the weather got good, but close. Also anxious to test my newly relined and turned front brake.

Richard L

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #49 on: 14.05. 2023 19:21 »
What's the latest news Richard?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #50 on: 14.05. 2023 21:33 »
What's the latest news Richard?

So glad you asked. Except for connecting the brake cable, adding oil to the forks and tightening up the mudguard stays, she should be ready for test ride. It would be done right now, but I’ve been sick with a cold (there still is such a thing, right?) all weekend. DGR is next Sunday, so I need to get on it. I was quite pleased when I got it off the stand and back on the floor on Friday, after several months in the air.

Richard L

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #51 on: 18.05. 2023 11:46 »
Nine months later, and a freaking ridiculous amount of text about failed attempts to repair a damaged fork leg, then, buy a new one, then, return that to seller for repair, the bike is back on the road. After a short test of one ride around the block, I think it feels great. Along the way, managed to rebuild the front, 8”, half-wide front brake with self-applied, self-turned lining. The result is quite a good change, though, did not eject me over the handlebars, as I had feared/hoped. (A side story to this in the DGR topic.)

Richard L.