Author Topic: Original tool kit  (Read 1846 times)

Offline TonyB

• Active
Original tool kit
« on: 08.12. 2021 00:01 »
I'm going to attempt to assemble a factory tool kit as was originally supplied with my 1963 A10. I've attached a picture of what is reported to be one. Can anyone affirm that this is what was supplied? What is the wood handled tool and what is in the rectangular tin? Does anybody know what the sizes of the wrenches should be?
WV
63 SR

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
Re: Original tool kit
« Reply #1 on: 08.12. 2021 00:19 »
Nice quest  *smile*

For the plunger, tools are listed in the owners manual > https://www.a7a10.net/BSA/manual54/imtools51.jpg
Can't find that page in any of the swingarm manuals I've seen, not included in any?

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #2 on: 08.12. 2021 01:04 »
A couple of scans from the 1960/61 parts book.

Online Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #3 on: 08.12. 2021 06:34 »
The rectangular tin is a puncture repair outfit.
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Online terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #4 on: 08.12. 2021 07:16 »
Looking at those tools I’m reminded of BSA’s bicycle manufacturing heritage. I have one of their push bikes, made in the 1930s I think, that belonged to my father. There’s no tool kit for it I’m afraid.
Good luck with your search. It’s always surprising what turns up on our favourite online auction site.
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 08.12. 2021 08:58 »
The wooden handled job looks like a screw driver to me. I wouldn't like to wrestle some ancient Skid Master off in the pouring rain using those little tyre levers though.
I think the only used bike I've ever had that came with a little tool kit was a Honda CD200, and that's only because the previous owner didn't realise there was a little toolbox hidden down low..

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 08.12. 2021 16:13 »
I would suspect that the blue tin would be a basic puncture repair kit
56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 08.12. 2021 16:44 »
    Indeed it is. The faded logo is "John Bull" the folk hero to (some parts of) the UK, hence the Union Jack (or Union Flag for the purists) Waistcoat.  Usually only good for one inner tube repair....next time round you'd already used the patch you needed and the skinflint quantity of rubber solution (glue sniffer's favourite) had dried in the tube to a solid lump.

Tony.   Spanner or wrench sizes will be marked BSF or Whitworth. These two threads have common "across the flats" sizes. BSA use Whitworth threads (nice and coarse) into alloy castings, nuts and bolts are generally BSCY or "Cycle Thread" reflecting BSA's heritage and  being a fine thread suitable for applications where vibration can lead to fixings becoming loose.  BSF /Whit spanners fit fine.  For sure, Metric and AF sizes can be left in the toolbox, they cause more problems with rounded off fasteners as they just don't fit well enough.

The literature section contains a nut and bolt chart thanks to Musky. It is a cross reference to fastener type from published part numbers.  Covers most applications.

The adjustable spanner is also known as a Girder Wrench, a popular brand was "King Dick" which always raised a smile amongst the folks familiar with Limey Slang.

My parts book 1954-1957 (Printed April 1958) details a toolkit for Plunger and Swinging Arm Bikes, Page 79. Illustration Plate 33

If that's the bike pictured in your intro, please add a few drops of the blackest used oil you can find to the paving to add that authentic BSA touch.. On second thoughts, look in the oiltank.  If it's full, you don't need us. If it's empty, you certainly do.

Welcome along.

Swarfy.

Offline Slymo

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 20.12. 2021 05:09 »
Those tyre levers are actually remarkably effective if your tyre isn't ancient and rock hard. I've just replaced a couple of tyres using the identical items and was long as you make sure the beads are well into the well they pop off in a few easy bites.
NZ

Offline TonyB

• Active
« Reply #9 on: 31.12. 2021 03:49 »
After doing some studies it seems that most of the items are regularly available on the well known auction site. The needed tools are mostly in GB and shipping costs can be ridiculously high so that will slow me down since I'll likely wait for someone selling multiples of what I need. Really,  $35 to send a single $17 magneto spanner seems excessive. No rush though. A few tools came with the bike and I picked up a John Bull tin here stateside. I also have a Dunlop tire iron. The small unmarked spanner is 3/16Wx1/4W and I don't think it was originally part of the kit but it can stay.
WV
63 SR

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 31.12. 2021 10:46 »
... rubber solution....had dried in the tube to a solid lump.
So true.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 31.12. 2021 10:57 »
... as long as you make sure the beads are well into the well they pop off in a few easy bites.
I agree, understanding about getting the bead into the wheel well is the secret to easy(er) tyre changing.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline sean

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #12 on: 02.01. 2022 18:23 »
I'm going to attempt to assemble a factory tool kit as was originally supplied with my 1963 A10. I've attached a picture of what is reported to be one. Can anyone affirm that this is what was supplied? What is the wood handled tool and what is in the rectangular tin? Does anybody know what the sizes of the wrenches should be?
[/quote
I believe the wooden tool was a phillips screwdriver as the original screws were phillips head

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #13 on: 02.01. 2022 23:27 »
Tony, i doubt that tool kit on fleabay is “correct” for your bike although would be useful. short handled whit spanners, a set of feeler gauges for tappets and points, spare plugs and spare chain links always handy. i usually carry some spare bolts, electrical tape and some cable ties. if you run a manual mag, a puller for the mag gear too. i swap tools depending what i’m riding. my b33 plug spanner has file marks so i can use it to do my timing. i also commonly have a litre of oil if travelling far depending on  the bike in question
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline TonyB

• Active
« Reply #14 on: 23.06. 2022 03:16 »
I've actually been making progress on this project.  I managed to obtain a few items from GB on Ebay.  Unfortunately the cost of shipping makes it unlikely I'll add more anytime soon although I do have a King Dick adjustable on the way. I decided to finally repair a sewing machine that's been languishing in the closet for years. I figured that since I was an industrial maintenance machinist for 25 years I should be able to figure out a sewing machine. Success! I actually was then aable to repair some old blue jeans I've been holding on to. Emboldened by my success I decided to attempt a tool roll for the collection I've assembled.  I'm pretty pleased with the results.  I used old denim from some of the jeans that couldn't be saved. Photos attached
WV
63 SR