Author Topic: Super glue + baking soda > building layers, volume, strength  (Read 680 times)

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
"Tool" dept.: This looks useful (not tested personally yet).
& more superglue experiments in the YT right menu.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Online Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
Was looking at this on youtube the other day. Will give it a go. Don't know if it's just me but the only things I ever manage to stick together successfully with superglue are my fingers.
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
Was looking at this on youtube the other day. Will give it a go. Don't know if it's just me but the only things I ever manage to stick together successfully with superglue are my fingers.

I thought it was just me. How those tw*ts supposedly glue their hands and ears to the greasy road surface or the side of a train I'll never know.

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Is the use of baking powder significant? If it's just a reinforcing medium would fine sand, metal or glass powder do?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline BagONails

• Valued Contributor
I wonder if I were to sprinkle a teaspoon of baking soda into my primary drive / gearbox and oil tank would it stop the leaks?  *smile*
Ian
59 GF A10
67 Spitfire under resto
2013 kwaka W800 Desert Sled (ex write off)

Nil Desperandum

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
I wonder if I were to sprinkle a teaspoon of baking soda into my primary drive / gearbox and oil tank would it stop the leaks?  *smile*
Or sand? 😁
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
In another yt video they tested many kinds of powder, graphite, aluminium, mixes, made mouldings etc.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline Slymo

• Valued Contributor
Used the baking soda Super Glue combo quite a lot and it is extremely effective for some repairs. The cracked plastic base of my blender for instance has been holding for a couple of years now. The big advantage is that it sets the glue off immediately. Don't get careless with the tube and the powder as its a very quick way to waste a tube of glue. I've also had excellent success with aluminium dust and super glue. I repaired a few broken mazac castings with it and when fettling a particularly rough casting on an early 90's Enfield Bullet I had to repair various blow holes with a mixture of the recent filings and super glue. Because of the anaerobic cure of super glue there is a lovely moment when you are packing the slurry of dust and glue down when it goes click and is rock hard. Very satisfying. What I wonder is if anyone has used the new (ish) ultraviolet triggered glues and fillers that have been common in dentistry for a while?
NZ

Offline mikeb

• Resident Legend
i've also used this for repairing broken plastic fittings around the house. it works well but it not bulletproof and will fatigue and wear.
Slymo - interesting you used aluminium filler - do you think it was stronger than baking soda? I've also wondered about UV-set dentistry glues ever since i had some used on me - super strong - tho not sure where you can buy it without getting a spare set of teeth
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '21 Triumph Speed Triple RS

Offline Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
'Microballoons' and 'Flocking' is what the glassfibre shops use with superglues and resins, baking soda is just a cheapo substitute.

Offline BagONails

• Valued Contributor
I can't help thinking Araldite ie. epoxy resin with a metal filler would be more permanent, not had a lot of success with Superglue. Devcon aluminium putty FTW!
Ian
59 GF A10
67 Spitfire under resto
2013 kwaka W800 Desert Sled (ex write off)

Nil Desperandum

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
the only things I ever manage to stick together successfully with superglue are my fingers.

even a smear of the stuff can prevent you from opening your mobile phone (criminals please disregard)
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco