Author Topic: Small vintage lathes  (Read 12456 times)

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
Re: Small vintage lathes
« Reply #60 on: 19.11. 2021 20:07 »
Along with the real risk of under-thinking, there's also the risk of over-thinking I reckon.

A certified test bar is good, very good - but a decent chunk of silver steel can act as a pretty reasonable guide, and unless one is doing long tapers, or needing to work - guaranteed - to a fraction of a thou, you'll be OK without going to the nth degree.
Or that's what I have found, for the sorts of things most of us do day to day.

Worst thing in the world is not to dare do something  because one is 'frit'.

I'd get that headstock and tailstock lined up best you can, Richard, then play for a bit. Without panicking if small errors continue to exist. Tooling, play in the cross slide and topslide, operator over-eagerness re depths of cut, speeds, tool-centring etc  . . . .  a million things can cause small inaccuracies, but 90% of them don't matter a whole lot, and may well not show up on 'short' workpieces.
Mistakes are the best catalyst for improvement, believe me!

Decent 'suds', as in - especially - a good quality cutting oil for steel, also contribute greatly in my 'umble. I use a not-to-be-diluted oil which is supposed to be good for tough work. It seems to be.

I am completely untrained, but can get short workpieces pretty good on my small Myford, to comfortably under half a thou if I want.

As an example (to encourage, not boast)  . . . 
I wanted a 'true' measurement of the wear on the T/S bush on my A some time back.
My measuring sticks are just the usual amateur ones and I didn't trust them or me for doing inside measurements of the bush. So I made a mandrel from decent mild steel bar to fit the bush spot-on and then measured it. When done I reckoned the bush was still within the 1.5 thou spec for 'good to go'
I sent the crank to my favourite UK shop (T&L Engineering in Bedforshire), with the cases and bush in situ, as there was other work to do. Which they did. But they sent the bush and T/S main journal back untouched, saying "1.5 thou +/-, very good, nothing to see there, carry on".

I was pleased and it was good for the confidence.

If it's true that the harder one works the luckier one gets in life, it's also true for the results obtained in sheds.
Bill

Offline BagONails

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #61 on: 19.11. 2021 22:46 »
Kiwi, yes by center height I meant the 'swing' which if you're a Pom means the maximum radius workpiece you can accommodate between the headstock spindle axis/tailstock center and the lathe bed whereas if you hail from the other side of the Atlantic tends to refer to the maximum diameter workpiece.

I'm not sure where the Antipodes sit in this terminology mash up but I assume your 9" machine can turn a max 9" workpiece judging from the pics? If so then 4 1/2" center height whereas mine is 16" swing or 8" center height but I don't mean to show off!

Anyhow I think you've answered my question, thanks, must have another look through all the dimensions.

I’m a brit living in nz so lets just say I’m “confused” by all the terminology, there is a big american influence on language over here tho.

It might be “aloris” who started the “axa” type terminology, see link, but most diy lathe owners will get a chinese knock off for a fraction of the price (from Banggood, aliexpress, ebay etc), for your lathe I suspect you will be looking at bxa or bigger, or maybe just buy one to suit the tool holder size you use? the axa tool holders I bought take 12mm (just) but I guess you would want 20mm or even bigger?

I have noticed that the pre-settable adjuster system (a knurled nut) on the axa does not lift the tool holder up high enough for the boring tool holders (which “rotate” the carbide bits downwards a bit), so I have to set into position manually (higher up) on the “wedge” each use, so I guess I could use a bxa, possibly, but that would look a bit big on my lathe, and it”s more important to be sure the tool height can be set low enough....cos if you can’t that do that you have start using non std tool holders.

Anyway, rather than try to work out all the dimensions I ended up just buying what others bought, the package of one axa post, 3 tool holders and 7 tools with carbide bits was was cheap enough, 200nzd delivered from memory.

https://www.aloris.com/Aloris-super-precision-tool-post

Edit: yes the 9A has a 9” nominal swing, 4 1/2 height above the bed, not that I have measured it.

Ah well I’m a Brit living in Aus so we’re in the same boat pretty much Kiwi, except your PM seems to have at least half a brain but that’s going off topic…

Yes 20mm holders are a good choice for me.  Your comment on boring bars is typical, they do tend to sit lower due to clearance required working inside the diameter being turned. It is common to pack them up even in adjustable blocks like yours to bring them back into the range of adjustment available. I certainly agree with your statement being able to get the tool low enough is the key thing so it doesn’t do to go to big on the tool post.

The rip offs are good value and from what I hear quality is fine in general. I’ve been trying to avoid buying cheap rip off gear lately but am being sorely tested at times.

Groily, your last statement above is gold:
“If it's true that the harder one works the luckier one gets in life, it's also true for the results obtained in sheds.”
So much can be achieved with only basic equipment if you use your brain, and it can be a lot more satisfying too.  I probably spend as much time making the things to do the job now as actually doing the job!
Ian
59 GF A10
67 Spitfire under resto
2013 kwaka W800 Desert Sled (ex write off)

Nil Desperandum

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #62 on: 25.11. 2021 15:00 »
I found this among my own boooks. I cannot remember where I got it from.  *smile*
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Angus

• Suffolk, UK
  • Resident Legend
  • The A7
« Reply #63 on: 25.11. 2021 15:48 »
Been watching this subject. Wanted one for some time but not had the space. Well I will be moving next spring a whole mile up the road, the workshop is already built and already to small, but there is a spot reserved for a small one. Not sure whether to go 'old' or I have been looking at this https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cl500m-metal-lathemill-drill/. it appears to do all I would ever want and if I get good on it and use it, I can always upgrade.
1961 A7 since 1976, 1960 A10 Gold Flash Super Profile Bike
1958 Matchless G80 Project, 1952 Norton Model 7 Plunger
1950 Triumph T100, 1981 Ducati Pantah 500, 1959 AJS model 20

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #64 on: 25.11. 2021 15:51 »
Angus: Milling as well! 👍
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #65 on: 20.12. 2021 12:08 »
I've brought my sisters old Myford back to GB towers. I reckon that with some rearrangements I can fit the lathe into my shed. I'll need to make a bench for it so I can bolt it down securely.

Do you have any advice before I start cleaning the old beast up?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #66 on: 20.12. 2021 12:10 »
There is a tool in the box of bits that came with the lathe that I do not recognise. Any ideas what the tool with the square holed wrench is for? I haven't had a close look but those sleeves appear to be cam-like with offset holes in the middle. There are two threaded parts. I can only think the tool is for pulling bushes in to place.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #67 on: 20.12. 2021 15:18 »
There is a tool in the box of bits that came with the lathe that I do not recognise. Any ideas what the tool with the square holed wrench is for? I haven't had a close look but those sleeves appear to be cam-like with offset holes in the middle. There are two threaded parts. I can only think the tool is for pulling bushes in to place.

GB,

Great to see you got it home. Knowing you (somewhat), suggesting the overall inspection and thorough cleaning would be redundant. Seek out the manual and check all the oiling points before running.  Also, I was wondering if the kit of parts includes the support for the belt pulley countershaft?

I tried to be up for the tool ID challenge, but found nothing conclusive. It does seem to be an bushing puller/driver for offset bushings. I didn't know this was a thing, but, apparently, they are used in some bicycles. Were your relatives in the bicycle business?

Richard L.

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #68 on: 20.12. 2021 15:49 »
Thanks Richard. Yes, I got it home. That lump is not huge but my goodness it's heavy. I did manage to carry the lathe plus the countershaft that was dangling from the V-belt from the car to those WorkMates and then into my shed. I also have the motor and its cast iron bracket that holds the countershaft. The overall length is 40" so I reckon I can find space for it in the mancave. There are many cutting tools that have come with the lathe.

I don't think there is a bicycle connection in the family. The lathe was given to my sister by a friend. Maybe the mystery tool came with it.

After using a lathe in metalwork at school and then in a couple of my early jobs I promised myself a Myford lathe one day. It never seemed feasable to buy one when I was working: I was the wage earner for the family and didn't make huge money. The gift of this old beastie is fantastic. I really hope I can make good use of it.

How are you getting on with your lathe?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #69 on: 20.12. 2021 16:10 »
Believe it or not, I'm still waiting for my replacement alignment bar to arrive. What a tortured story that has been. First I order the wrong one, then the right one got sent to someone in Los Angeles instead of to me here in Chicagoland. Now, I hope to see the correct one today. I have to admit to leaning toward the "aggressive" in my passive/aggressive complaints to the representatives in India. 

In the waiting time, I decided to pull the spindle out to check condition and found it quite acceptable, maybe, even, "very good" for a 1941 machine. Also, had time to do some painting, which will happen in phases.  I can post some pictures later. I joined the Facebook South Bend Lathe Group to get specific help when I need it. That has proved useful. One thing about the Myford is that so many of our forum members own them that the resources right here are probably abundant.  Ya' know, I bought the lathe to help with A7/A10 projects, I'd like to get back to those, but the lathe is a project in itself, with its own sort of reward.

Richard L.

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #70 on: 20.12. 2021 17:04 »
OK, I just dived into Google to discover what an alignment bar is for. Why did yours have to come from India?

Yes, plenty of Myford users here 👍
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #71 on: 20.12. 2021 17:25 »
As far as I can tell, all of the affordable alignment bars on eBay come from India. I think I have an unusual situation in that my headstock sits on homemade (well, maybe, University-of-Illinois-vocational-training-shop-made) riser blocks  with no V-way on top to align the headstock parallel with the bed. Soooo, my soon-to-be alignment bar has the Morse taper that fits in the spindle so I can gauge parallel and level, shim as necessary, and lock them in.

Believe me, I'm learning all this as I go, any semblance of actual knowledge is very recent or accidental.

Richard L.   

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #72 on: 20.12. 2021 17:29 »
I forgot to mention that the Indian company I purchased from ships from an eBay operated warehouse in New York state.

Richard L.

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #73 on: 20.12. 2021 17:43 »
... any semblance of actual knowledge is very recent or accidental.
I like that! 😁

I last used a lathe more than 50 years ago. Let the mangling of metal commence!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #74 on: 20.12. 2021 23:43 »
Looks like a home made tap wrench, G.B.