Author Topic: Small vintage lathes  (Read 12650 times)

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
Re: Small vintage lathes
« Reply #240 on: 20.04. 2022 19:35 »
my chuck has been put on the waiting list because it is bell mouthed and worn so needs lots of *work* or if i get to keep this ML7 one it will stay out of my hands *smile*. so he has made up an adapter that fits my spindle and lent me an ML7 chuck so i can get on with whatever cock ups i manage to do *bash*

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #241 on: 20.04. 2022 23:21 »
..... he has made up an adapter that fits my spindle and lent me an ML7 chuck...
Nice 👍
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #242 on: 11.05. 2022 02:38 »
...CONTINUED

Here is the original dial. Also, kudos to GB for making the beautiful machinist"s hammer. It shouldn't go unnoticed. Finally, just tossing in a photo of cleaning up an axle, so you don't think I''ve completely forgotten my bikes.

Richard L

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #243 on: 11.05. 2022 02:42 »
Hi guys,

First, Richard (Orabanda), and other master machinists, avert your eyes.  *smile*

This could go into "Why the heck aren't you working on your bike?", but it's pretty lathe specific. I suppose I will get around to sharing this on the South Bend Lathe FB groups I belong to, but it was a lot of fun and gave me a pretty good sense of accomplishment, and that's something to share with old friends. Anyway, that's enough buildup.

My lathe came with a very small dial on the compound rest (the one that pivots on the cross-slide). I watched a few videos on how to make your own dial and figured I'd try it. One of the photos shows the bent Volkswagen wheel that donated the aluminum for the dial, but, in that cut, not enough for the inner ring. Cutting that wheel was a bear, and it took a lot of turning to get down to size, so chose not to do that again.  I was surprised by my inability to find a piece of any metal in my garage that would work for the inner ring, then I stumbled on the idea of using a piece of Lexan plastic I had laying around. 

On to the machining, the how-to on turning of the basic shapes is likely obvious and known better by several of you. Of course, getting the spoke of the wheel down to a little disc was a lesson in tedium. The key bit of fun was engraving the graticule. The result in the picture is laid down on material excavated from beneath the first failed attempt. The trick for getting 100 graticule marks is to index off of a 100-tooth saw blade on an arbor running through the bore.  I almost had it perfect except for one of the "10" lines being in the wrong spot. I plan to disguise that with the set screw. I'm jumping the gun a bit on showing the part without numbers, because I don't own a number set, yet.

Thanks for reading. Continued next post.

Richard L. 

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #244 on: 11.05. 2022 10:04 »
Hi Richard,
Using a circular saw blade as an indexer is a great idea. 👍

I presume you've worked out that graduations based on 100 steps per revolution are accurate for the slide movement.

I'm very interested in what you've done: The scales on my Myford are really pretty useless thin disks of brass that are not attached to the handles; they can just rotate freely. The problem I have is that the slide movement screws do not protrude very far. I can only get a locknut and the ball handle on to the screw.

Later: pictures taken. 80 divisions! Presumably one turn equals 80 thousandths of an inch.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #245 on: 11.05. 2022 10:50 »
It helps if the scale is not fixed to the handle. If it's a friction fit, then it can be zeroed as necessary when work requires.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #246 on: 11.05. 2022 12:25 »
GB,

The brilliant saw idea was, of course, not mine. I watched two well-known YouTube machinists using the technique with well-refined setups, versus my cobbled-together assemblage.

Were you teasing a weak mind regarding the number of graduations?  *eek* *smile* Sent me to the garage to double check the original dial, obviously designed for the eyes of a 19-year-old trainee.

I've tried to look at the dials on an ML4, but couldn't find a good picture.

RD,

In the picture of the original you can see the set screw for resetting the zero position, I think, mostly for thread cutting.

Richard L.

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #247 on: 11.05. 2022 14:22 »
Were you teasing a weak mind regarding the number of graduations?
No teasing. I just wondered about the relationship of the 100 points per revolution index to the marks on the scale. What movement value do the scale graduations represent?

Update: It would appear that your old scale has 100 graduations. Congraduations!

How did you make the scale indents; a sharp tool mounted in the lathe tool holder moved across the metal? Did you make a stop to ensure the cuts all started/ended in line with each other?

Are you going to buy/borrow a set of tiny number punches?

I am intending to find an elegant method of attaching digital calipers, (with the jaws removed) to my lathe. It seems to be a poor man's DRO.

Have you made it possible to zero the scale?

So many questions!

Now I've had a good look at the scales on my slides, I see they have 80 divisions. I'd need an index divisible by 80
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #248 on: 11.05. 2022 15:29 »
In the picture of the original you can see the set screw for resetting the zero position, I think, mostly for thread cutting.
Perhaps I should have made myself clearer - I was referring to GB's comment, Richard.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #249 on: 11.05. 2022 16:45 »
I am so loving this machining lark, I'm just pondering about getting a decent lathe and a mill. However, the only way I could afford that is by flogging my BSA, and that would require some serious pondering.

Would I be Cashiered from the A7A10 forum and have my spanners broken and my epaulettes torn off?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #250 on: 11.05. 2022 17:38 »
Yep.
It would be like flogging the A10 in order to buy some new spanners... ;)

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #251 on: 11.05. 2022 18:44 »
Were you teasing a weak mind regarding the number of graduations?
No teasing. I just wondered about the relationship of the 100 points per revolution index to the marks on the scale. What movement value do the scale graduations represent?

Update: It would appear that your old scale has 100 graduations. Congraduations!

How did you make the scale indents; a sharp tool mounted in the lathe tool holder moved across the metal? Did you make a stop to ensure the cuts all started/ended in line with each other?

I wish I could respond to all of this right now, but very busy. Later tonight for for most of it.

Are you going to buy/borrow a set of tiny number punches?

I am intending to find an elegant method of attaching digital calipers, (with the jaws removed) to my lathe. It seems to be a poor man's DRO.

Have you made it possible to zero the scale?

So many questions!

Now I've had a good look at the scales on my slides, I see they have 80 divisions. I'd need an index divisible by 80

I wish I could respond to all of this right now, but very busy. Later tonight for for most of it. Unless you plan to ride a lathe to the next motorcycle event, I'd keep the bike. As for divisions, one division is 0.002" off of the diameter.

Richard L.

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #252 on: 11.05. 2022 19:09 »
one division is 0.002" off of the diameter.
So one division is a 1 thou depth of cut, 2 thou off the diameter? A full turn moves the tool 0.1"
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #253 on: 11.05. 2022 21:07 »
So one division is a 1 thou depth of cut, 2 thou off the diameter? A full turn moves the tool 0.1"
Yep.

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #254 on: 11.05. 2022 22:34 »

My Zyto 3&3/8” is also 10 turns to the inch.