Author Topic: Head light cowl fractures  (Read 1461 times)

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Head light cowl fractures
« Reply #15 on: 27.10. 2021 12:49 »
... Fully legal in NZ if you fit an entire assembly and not just a bulb, it's to do with the reflectors not working with the led bulbs hence the incorrect beam pattern
Is that why LED headlights are reported as not throwing a good beam of light?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 27.10. 2021 21:31 »
The headlight LED are not legal in NZ anyway and they usually get picked up by the beam testing machine at WOF (aka MOT) time

Fully legal in NZ if you fit an entire assembly and not just a bulb, it's to do with the reflectors not working with the led bulbs hence the incorrect beam pattern

Quite right, I left out the word “bulb” as I thought it obvious that was what we were talking about, an LED bulb being fitted to a “BPF” type reflector, which I believe to be “illegal” in NZ but I don’t actually know the technicalities on why  *eek* it’s just what a WOF tester told me, and they aren’t infallible!

Fitting complete (internal) assemblies has been done for decades eg sealed units, halogen reflectors/bulbs etc and as far as I know has not caused issues at WOF time, anyway, a quick google brought up this info.

Can the hella product (easily) be fitted into a std A10 shell?

https://www.hella.co.nz/en/products/driving-headlamp/7-round-headlamps-and-housings/7-round-led-headlamp-highlow-beam-insert.html

https://www.classicbritishspares.com/blogs/news/bpf-headlight-bulb-testing

New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #17 on: 28.10. 2021 11:50 »
My welding course instructor stated that a good weld is stronger then the surrounding metal. It's the surrounding metal that will give you problems.
Unless you are using a higher strength rod than the parent metal there is no way that a weld which when you think of it logically is just a casting can be as strong as the sheet mtal with a grain size 1/20th of the weld grain size
This is why most welds are not dressed smooth to the surface and you leave  beat to increase the cross sectional area which is similar to using thicker material to start with .
Add to that a flame weld will render the joint softer than the original while an arc weld will make it stiffer .
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline Kickaha

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #18 on: 29.10. 2021 02:05 »
... Fully legal in NZ if you fit an entire assembly and not just a bulb, it's to do with the reflectors not working with the led bulbs hence the incorrect beam pattern

I would suspect that is the case but I don't know enough about them to be sure
1956 BSA Gold Flash
New Zealand

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #19 on: 03.11. 2021 01:55 »

A filament globe throws off light as a full sphere
So some gies directly ahead while the rest hits the reflector and is bounced forward
An LED is a flat element that only throws off light in a forward direction
Add to that the foreward only facing cone can be anywere as small as 15 deg to as wide as 120 deg
So to work for a headlamp you need a deep conical shaped columnator rather than a parabolic reflector
What most LED globes try to do is put the LED in tha smae place withing the reflector as the element of the globe would be but facing backwards into the reflector to get the full beam spread that a std globe would get
However the LED generates heat that has to be removed using a heat sink and that hea sink asts a shadow of itself in the middle of the beam of light so you get a sort of ring of light, bright at the edges and dim in the middle which is the exact opposite of what a normal globe does which is bright in the middle and dim on the edges

This is why you will hear LED globes being acused of throwing a "hollow" beam
The high light output type of LED ( there are lots of them ) usually used in globes is the CREE which are 3 V
So for a 6V system, 1 for low ( 3V ) and both for high ( 6 V )
The smae globe is used for 12 V systems but as they have 12 V then they can use 2 for low + 2 more for high so the 12 V British prefocus  globe works really well in  the standard reflector.
And because they use so little power it is viable to pop a 12 V regulator on a 6 V dynamo with a 5 Ah battery and all LED globes .
The 4 element LED globe draws 0.5A so a 5 Ah battery will power it for 10 hours running total loss ( no dynamo )
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline Jules

• Resident Legend
  • 1956 A10 s/arm Golden Flash
« Reply #20 on: 03.11. 2021 04:50 »
soooo, going back to my original question then, an LED globe, DOESNT get affected by voltage variations or??
the reason for asking is that I know of a no. of people who have (tried) converting to led's on old cars but have had issues with flickering, even on/off, which "apparently" is due to insufficient voltage stability........

Offline tlmark

• A's Good Friend
  • Maidstone, Kent
« Reply #21 on: 08.11. 2021 11:02 »
My mate dropped the welded up cowl back today looks good.
I'm going to have to get it re powdered coated hopefully that won't take to long.

He thought some noise deadening might help with reducing metal fatigue from vibration?

what are your thoughts?

1958 Gold A10 super rocket
1982 RD350LC
2008 Ducati 1098S
2011 Ducati 1100 monster
suzuki TL1000s
suzukit SV650s

Online RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #22 on: 08.11. 2021 16:01 »
Not sure 'noise deadening' will achieve much. To address vibration one needs to either remove the source (re-balance engine) or alter the part that is in harmony by changing its length or mass.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline Kickaha

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #23 on: 08.11. 2021 18:19 »
Not sure 'noise deadening' will achieve much. To address vibration one needs to either remove the source (re-balance engine) or alter the part that is in harmony by changing its length or mass.

Noise deadening material will change the mass
1956 BSA Gold Flash
New Zealand

Online RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #24 on: 09.11. 2021 12:31 »
Noise deadening material will change the mass
I appreciate that, but discounted it on the grounds the item is small, so any deadening material is likely to be light and of insignificant mass. Hardly the place to fit lead-lined foam.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline tlmark

• A's Good Friend
  • Maidstone, Kent
« Reply #25 on: 10.11. 2021 20:19 »
My friends idea was to use the self adhesive sound deadening used on car panels

The cowl is at the powder coaters now
We. Have to see when I get it back 

1982 RD350LC
2008 Ducati 1098S
2011 Ducati 1100 monster
suzuki TL1000s
suzukit SV650s

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #26 on: 11.11. 2021 07:10 »
Will not make a wrinkled rats rectum of a difference
It has taken 60 years to fracture the first time .
If he added some bracing as I suggested then it will go another 60 years standing on it's head
If he just welded it then it will depend upon the thickness of the deposit & what alloy he used .
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline tlmark

• A's Good Friend
  • Maidstone, Kent
« Reply #27 on: 24.11. 2021 12:43 »
Cowlback fro the powder coaters

happy with how it looks if you didn't know you you'll never see anything.

1982 RD350LC
2008 Ducati 1098S
2011 Ducati 1100 monster
suzuki TL1000s
suzukit SV650s