Author Topic: india parts  (Read 3156 times)

Offline Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: india parts
« Reply #15 on: 13.07. 2022 10:59 »
Remember, stuff from BSA wasn't always up to standard .....

Yeah, well no-one has that option any more. Then again, never ever heard of anyone sending a tank or muddie back to Small Heath because it didn't fit, although comparing an industrial conglomerate with some shade-tree metal basher sitting on a dirt floor seems a little odd.
My A7 front muddie came from India, and apart from being over-heavy it's fine, but a pre-war headlamp shell had the mountings at the 3 oclock and 10.30 positions. If they could just get some concept of quality control.... *eek*

Offline rocker21

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #16 on: 13.07. 2022 11:49 »
i recently bought a petrol tank for my A7, its ok, had to do a bit of adjustment as the petrol cap did not fit, and they used metric treads to hold the badges on instead of 4ba, paint looks ok but its the wrong shade of green so will have to get it painted at some point.
1960 A7SS, 1954 Ariel fieldmaster 500 twin, motoguzzi Monza 500, motoguzzi V7III special, new triumph speed 400

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 13.07. 2022 14:03 »
Remember, stuff from BSA wasn't always up to standard .....

some shade-tree metal basher sitting on a dirt floor seems a little odd.

While not up to modern (or BSA 50's) standards, this is a far cry from the image suggested above. Actually, I was pretty impressed by it. A video of a factory in India making vintage fuel tanks. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=it1KQjNg_a4

Richard L.

Online sean

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #18 on: 13.07. 2022 15:17 »
bought 2 gas taps for my A 10 tank one worked the other leaked at the threads the dealer told me they were from India but said they had no problems .....guess they have to get rid of them one way or another ..........all the threads both going into the tank and where the line fits on were very sloppy and loose .

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #19 on: 13.07. 2022 21:06 »
While not up to modern (or BSA 50's) standards, this is a far cry from the image suggested above. Actually, I was pretty impressed by it. A video of a factory in India making vintage fuel tanks. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=it1KQjNg_a4

Loved the safety guards on all their machines. Must keep the nearby hospital busy ......
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: 13.07. 2022 23:43 »
Except for, maybe, one machine, riding a motorcycle is probably more dangerous than all those other slow-moving presses.

Richard L.

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #21 on: 14.07. 2022 08:51 »
Dunno if those guys made the tank I had but I was happy enough with the one on my A. Threads good and  in the right places, Cycle for the strap, BSP for fuel taps (plumbing ball valves went straight in, no slop no leaks), and knee rubbers & central hole lined up no problem, not bad chrome, bayonet cap fitted OK, served me best part of 10 years and still looked good even without being polished much (hardly ever). Not for purists - one man's happy can be another's 'appalled' - and I'm sure the shape wasn't perfect - but a  better bet for me than a bodged-up original with sealant, braze and weld here and there etc etc. Good value too, and would go there again for any daily workhorse. In fact am probably going to have to before long on one of mine.
I raise my hat to the dexterity of the folk doing this stuff - without them, we'd be worse off, even if some of the bits are sub-standard. But would order through a reputable local reseller, not direct from India, as no comebacks doing it that way.
Bill

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #22 on: 14.07. 2022 15:34 »
Except for, maybe, one machine, riding a motorcycle is probably more dangerous than all those other slow-moving presses.

Have to say I don't agree.   The whole workshop is a nightmare (and no, I'm not an elf'n'safety nut - in fact my son says an elf'n'safety guy would have a heart attack watching me). First off there's the unguarded belt drive from a motor, then there's the machine for shearing off surplus material - wonder how many fingers that has chopped off?  But my main concern is with those presses. They should have guards such that the ram will not move as long as a person's hands are close. Slow they may be, but that doesn't automatically make then safe.

Back in '67 I worked at an engineering firm making alloy castings (I was in the tool-room where we made the dies for that). Now our injection-moulding machine held a pair of dies (each approx the size of a microwave oven) and sometimes the sprue would get stuck on opening the dies. Time to call the fitter, only on one occasion the operator decided to sort it himself. Now the machine had a cover over the dies, with a safety lock so the dies couldn't be closed without the cover in place. So said operator removed the safety lock and proceeded to use a drift pushed by the moving die to shift the sprue. He ended up losing his hand (squashed between the dies). I remember it well, as I  had had the job of re-commissioning the machine afterwards.
Not long after that, the replacement die-caster guy blew up the furnace. It was gas fed and the twit turned on the 1 1/2" gas pipe before going for a pee - he then returned and shoved in the lighted pilot. Good job he had to bend down to do that, as the whole lot went up through the roof above him. Interesting times.

'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #23 on: 14.07. 2022 15:55 »
Sensible safety precautions are obvious. Perceived unnecessary H&S is down to the issue of litigation; child playgrounds have been dumbed down. Everything sold hot must have a warning sticker. In the UK we seem to have followed the USA into a world of worry about being sued. I worked for BT for 30 years. In later years the H&S warnings at BT became ridiculous and obviously not really meant to be observed; 'Do not exceed speed limits in your official vehicle' , (but get to your location in a timescale that forces speeding)
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #24 on: 14.07. 2022 20:00 »
Well, India is a large industrialized country who's regulations can be read by us in English if we care to scrutinize 5 Star's safety breaches. On the other hand, according to the Standards for Mechanical Guards on Machines, adhering to the standards is non-mandatory:

Non Mandatory Standards on
OSH for Workplace Safety
BIS Standards
Mech. guards on machine IS 9474-1980

Not suggesting anyone review this in depth, but the graphics are amusing.  https://law.resource.org/pub/in/bis/S01/is.9474.1980.pdf

Richard L.

Online Bsareg

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #25 on: 14.07. 2022 21:05 »
Here's my latest (4th) indian tank. A very close copy of a
 british grp tank. I've not been using that bike much because of the effect ethanol has on grp and I'm down to my last 4 gallons of 4star. I've pressure tested it and checked the mounts. All in order with the correct threads. Quality is definitely improving.
Helston, Cornwall C11,B40,B44 Victor,A10,RGS,M21,Rocket3,REBSA

Offline berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #26 on: 14.07. 2022 21:21 »
have i seen you tube vids of them bare foot walking about with a crucible full of molten scrap bean cans ready to be poured into a mould for another abomination to be exported over here or elsewhere ;) *pull hair out* *bash*

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #27 on: 14.07. 2022 21:38 »
Berger,

You seem to be conflating  a reasonably respectable factory (RD's objections notwithstanding), with some poor struggling souls working themselves to death with bronze-age technology.

Richard L.

Offline berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #28 on: 14.07. 2022 22:01 »
mmmm what does conflate mean that's way out of my department *whistle* *dunno*. all i am saying is they haven't got any safety boots on or much of anything else while handling molten bean cans

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #29 on: 15.07. 2022 09:17 »
conflate
verb
combine (two or more sets of information, texts, ideas, etc.) into one.
"the urban crisis conflates a number of different economic, political, and social issues"
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash