Author Topic: A10 cylinder barrel airway  (Read 491 times)

Offline BigJim

• Resident Legend
  • Bristol. UK
A10 cylinder barrel airway
« on: 21.06. 2021 21:14 »
Ok gentlemen, bit of info needed on a replacement barrel for my A10. Whilst trying to clean it up i may have discovered a blockage at the front between fins 2 and 3. It seems solid though as if it's the original casting. Should this vent through to the rear of the cylinder? I ask because on my current running one i can push a screwdriver through to the push rod tunnel?
As an aside how common is it for the part nr stamping to be upside down?
Cheers
Jamie,  Supporter of Distinguished Gentleman's Ride

Offline berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
Re: A10 cylinder barrel airway
« Reply #1 on: 22.06. 2021 10:04 »
jim i think you will find a lot have casting flash in these areas , some of my A7 ones have. as for the numbers they were made for our friends in oz *lol* *lol*

Offline BigJim

• Resident Legend
  • Bristol. UK
« Reply #2 on: 22.06. 2021 13:07 »
Thanks Bergs, so best left or should i consider some sort of gentle drilling? Let's be honest i'll probably leave it if it's never a problem.
Cheers
Jamie,  Supporter of Distinguished Gentleman's Ride

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 22.06. 2021 13:21 »
Jimbo. Look on the brightside. You can read the part number without bending down. As for the airway, its function is marginal anyway, and as bergs says flash there is common. My guess is that the blocks are sand castings and swapping the number blank was a good way to add a bit of variety to the job. Almost like a signature "Yeah, I done that one!" Give it a light probing, it may be rust or muck. If its solid, don't worry.
  More important with a used barrel is good threads and undamaged cam follower tunnels. Hairline cracks on the lower skirts of the bores, by the cutouts, sometimes appear, but are easily repaired.

We like to think these bikes were made by enthusiastic and caring individuals...It ain't so, and on the line you can bet one or two or more were not perfect especially if the foundry chargehand had given the guys a good gobful for some minor cock up. I think management these days is of a more enlightened style.

Swarfy