Author Topic: '48 LS Engine rebuild  (Read 5754 times)

Offline fffcycles

• A's Good Friend
Re: '48 LS Engine rebuild
« Reply #30 on: 24.03. 2022 13:48 »
Timing done, covers in place. Barrel on then head, looking really good but putting on the valve covers and exhaust installs fine but intake won’t sit properly. Figured out the right side intake pushrod is sitting about 3-4 mm higher? What the hell have I missed something, did I mix up the followers and they are not absolutely identical? Did a quick comparison on the pushrods before sliding in and they looked the same to me.
Guess I will tear everything apart to investigate.
Frank P Kamloops BC
1948 A7 Long Stroke, a collection of BSA D1/B44/B50/A65 from the 50's thru 70's, Ariels/Nortons/Triumphs and a smattering of Japanese

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #31 on: 24.03. 2022 17:47 »
at least one has to sit higher , me thinks, opening a valve *beer*

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #32 on: 24.03. 2022 18:39 »
Or the pushrod is jammed beside the cup rather than in it..?

Offline fffcycles

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #33 on: 24.03. 2022 19:22 »
Have rotated the engine a few times but every time it comes down it still sits higher than the left hand pushrod at rest. Pushrods and armed move well following the cam rotation properly I believe but I will check a bit mor before I lift the head
Frank
Frank P Kamloops BC
1948 A7 Long Stroke, a collection of BSA D1/B44/B50/A65 from the 50's thru 70's, Ariels/Nortons/Triumphs and a smattering of Japanese

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #34 on: 25.03. 2022 08:49 »
 My researches give a pushrod length of 180mm for inlet, 205mm for exhaust (again, do your own checks)  In his book BSA Twin Restoration, Roy Bacon says valve caps were fitted to the longstoke engine, but does not state whether they were fitted only to inlet, exhaust or all four valves. However an exploded line drawing on Page 38 of his Twins Restoration shows caps on all valves. Help from the parts catalogue in the Literature Section lists caps 65 209 fitted to all valves on the A7, but none to the Star Twin....The actual valves listed for the two models are different.
 Drawing also shows pushrods fit cup down, plain end up to the rockers. The valve gear  itself is broadly the same as later engines which do not have caps. Worth checking the rocker arms are the correct parts, match as pairs and one has not been strained.
 Camshaft and followers with ball end tops reappear on the later unit engines, Page 95.

Longstroke  Rocker Part Nos...               Left Side      Right Side

Inlet       67 45          67 46

Exhaust       67 47          67 48

Methinks a pushrod from any old school OHV car engine could be adapted in the absence of the genuine article. Your local engine reconditioner may have a few in the junk pile.

All the followers are the same. Overall length 76mm.  Unworn tappet block is 12mm deep, Shank of follower from top of the block to top of ball end is 64mm.  Caliper and eye, measured on parts to hand.

Swarfy.

Offline fffcycles

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #35 on: 25.03. 2022 14:41 »
Thanks for that info Swarfy. I found that a rocker arm was not rotating all the way and appearing like the pushrod was sitting proud. Loosened the rocker shaft placed the Thackeray washer correctly and valve cover sits good now.
Frank
Carb, exhaust and tank. Might give this a kick this weekend.
Frank P Kamloops BC

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #36 on: 25.03. 2022 17:05 »
Good luck! 🤞
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline fffcycles

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #37 on: 29.03. 2022 14:51 »
Hah, it is always the little things. I took it off but the PRV is nowhere to be found in my workshop, it must have rolled off the bench and found a really good hiding spot. Oh, and of course I have no carburetor mounting studs on hand so have to order those from Britain.
But soon though, very soon, I will start this bike and go for a ride.
Frank
Frank P Kamloops BC

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #38 on: 30.03. 2022 19:37 »
Can I suggest not using studs for the carb. I find fitting the carb with gaskets, heat insulator, drip-tray and air filter connector much easier using screws. Take care though that the screws are not long enough to protrude into the inlet manifold.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline fffcycles

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #39 on: 31.03. 2022 04:06 »
Two full days cleaning my workshop, vacuum even came out, there it was sitting between tool boxes on a shelf below the worktop.
Used a couple of Whitworth cheesehead screws with appropriate size lock washers to hold the carb on but had to loosen off the air filter/battery tray to get it all in place as there is no way to squeeze the carb in place.
Took off the sump plate as it was leaking oil and that was with a new gasket and hylomar as a precaution. Will have to consider thicker paper or two layers for the next try.
Exhaust pipes and mufflers went on a treat and it is looking good.
Frank
Frank P Kamloops BC

Offline fffcycles

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #40 on: 04.05. 2022 15:58 »
Getting close to the starting stage but of course it is the little things. Made up new gas lines, filter in place, original taps from my cache of parts but the banjo bolt seals/washers for the float bowl leak horribly. Back into my horde of carb parts and dug up a few new ones which will go on today and then the kicking begins. Of course there has been a lot of kicking already to prime the oil system and that found a fractured oil line to the valve gear which brings up a question about where can I purchase the banjo fittings so I can make a new line? It will all come together soon I am certain.
My only concern is getting up on the centre stand ! What a horrendous effort this is. I use a ramp to get the rear end up 3” then it is alright but I will have to pack a wedge shaped piece of block around all the time. I will have to modify the bolt-on side stand so it works properly then re-install and that will be handy.
Breakfast is done and now for some exercise!
Frank
Frank P Kamloops BC

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #41 on: 04.05. 2022 16:21 »
The centre stand is yet another of BSA's design errors. How could they make so many on such a beautiful bike?
Anyway, a while ago (under a year if I recall) I posted some words and pics about shortening the centre stand so the rear wheel is only just clear of the ground when on the stand. By adding a lug to the side, heaving the bike onto its stand is no longer required - just put a foot on the lug and the bike rises onto the stand with no help from arms required.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline fffcycles

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #42 on: 04.05. 2022 16:32 »
Now that is some information I could use. I had a quick search but did not find anything right away so might have to look harder. My thought is to fix the side stand then I will take the centre stand to my son-in-law’s shop and have it chopped a bit then re-welded and a foot lug is a good idea for levering it up.
Any notes on how much you shortened the stand length?
Frank
Frank P Kamloops BC

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #43 on: 04.05. 2022 17:13 »
... where can I purchase the banjo fittings so I can make a new line?
I enjoy plumbing;  I would be inclined to remove the damaged pipe and solder new pipe into the old fittings.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #44 on: 04.05. 2022 19:53 »
fff- came up straightaway (usually I struggle with this forum's search facility) - presumably this will take you there?  https://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=15800.msg134906#msg134906.
 If not, pasting 'centre stand' in search should.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.