Author Topic: For sale BSA A10 42-4721 centre stand  (Read 1060 times)

Offline MrShifta

• A's Good Friend
For sale BSA A10 42-4721 centre stand
« on: 02.12. 2020 11:45 »
Hi ,   I have advertised my spare centre stand on Ebay,  I had the impression that they were desirable so put it on at £100. Plenty of watchers but no bids.  Have I got it wrong ?  Am I asking too much ?   Its in good condition and the old sleeve has been removed.

I don't want to upset anybody.  I was told it fitted a Goldie/RGS but not sure. Came with Golden Flash boxes of bits from 1954 so if from that era well before DBD's and RGS's.

comments please.   

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: For sale BSA A10 42-4721 centre stand
« Reply #1 on: 02.12. 2020 12:12 »
Hi
I used you description and looked up ebay,
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=BSA+A10+42-4721+centre+stand&_sacat=0

a similar stand is advertised at £125
a later stand has been bid up to £146 with 2 days to go

So I think you have not over priced it

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline MrShifta

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 02.12. 2020 13:33 »
Thanks John, Its so difficult as I have not had BSA's for years and am out of touch with prices, i see tons of A10 stuff on Ebay but most have no offers so the price means nothing.

I have a plunger gearbox I have just rebuilt with new main bearing and kick spring in good condition.  I assume about £150 to £200 but as they say, its the man with the money who decides. I don't want to appear greedy but need to fund my rebuild.

take care.

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 02.12. 2020 17:10 »
G'day MrShifta.
I agree with John, 100gbp is a good start.
I lol at "There is the usual flat on the side peg due to an over enthusiastic rider". Mine disappeared 30 years ago  *ex*

200gbp is a good starting point for the gearbox. There's a few on fleabay at or above 300.
Bugga I lost two in the fire  *cry*
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline MrShifta

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 02.12. 2020 17:59 »
Hi Musky, I too had a workshop fire on the day I was to deliver a newly built Norton Domiracer that had cost £14,000 to build.  I caught a pipe from a propane gas heater to the 15kg bottle on my shoe and it popped the pipe off the regulator.  It created a 25ft blowlamp with me in it in seconds.  I and my son escaped but the workshop was engulfed with the Norton and a Moto Guzzi also just restored. I lost all my business stock and the building before the fire brigade arrived even though they were only 500 yds away.

I was due to deliver the Norton that day and the guy wouldn't believe it was a smoking wreck, he even came the day after as he thought I was trying to sell it to someone else........

I suffered burns to my face and hands, my son was further away so was okay.  At least no-one died eh ?

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 02.12. 2020 19:40 »
We're you insured?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #6 on: 02.12. 2020 20:09 »
G'day MrShifta.
Not wanting to go off topic but fire is a dangerous thing. Sorry for your loss but glad we're both OK. I've had two bikes catch after a backfire, extinguisher close at hand so not too much damage. Then the BIG one last NYE bush fire, got the lot *ex*
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline MrShifta

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #7 on: 02.12. 2020 23:31 »
Hi Neil, It cost £42,000 for the building and business stock. The Norton was for racing and the Moto Guzzi not registered so no insurance at all for them.  A tip for anyone unlucky enough to have a fire. tell the insurance assessor, that you own everything in the fire. I made the mistake of listing stuff I had borrowed and belonged to customers, The assessor tore it up and said " if its not yours , its not insured"  It cost me £800 to replace other peoples bits.

Musky I am so sorry about the " real" fire you had, I cannot imagine losses like that , insurance or not. 

The guy who was going to buy the Norton bought it as a wreck and he restored it and takes it around the U.K. to shows and race meetings. He is Chris Hawksley who trades as Solo Motorcycle products.  His ads are in the classic mags.

Kep safe guys.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 03.12. 2020 09:06 »
MrShifta. Jeez!  *sad2*
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 03.12. 2020 12:01 »
Mr Shifta - don't get the "if it's not yours it's not insured" bit. Sounds like a typical loss adjuster trying to screw the customer. When I was trading I made sure my policy covered customers cars, tools, the lot. In fact one day I recall looking around the workshop (my previous, much larger, one) and thought jeez, better up the contents value; one of my customers had three Astons in there, two DB2's and a DB4GT Le Mans and sometimes his BMW as well, of which only two or three were created by their competitions dept.
Fortunately I had very few fires, and those were tiny. Always preferred CO2 extinguishers - seen too many foam ones fail despite proper servicing and was never overly impressed with dry powder (remember to turn those upside down and shake vigorously at least once a year, else the powder will form a 'cake' in the bottom).

added - thing I found with foam extinguishers was their unreliability in actually going off. And then, if they did, the mess 'cause you can't stop them. CO2 for me!
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 03.12. 2020 12:45 »
(remember to turn those upside down and shake vigorously at least once a year, else the powder will form a 'cake' in the bottom).
Cheers good tip
On the subject of foam, on a safety course, (whilst working) I remember a fire chief demonstrating the proper use of such extinguishers in an oil/petrol fire, they must not be pointed at the fire as this just blasts flaming stuff all around, he bounced the foam off a wall or object so that it crept over the flames and denied them the oxygen they need, (not suggesting you wheel your pride and joy into bouncing range of course)

All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline MrShifta

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #11 on: 04.12. 2020 10:32 »
Regards the assessors actions, he followed it up by saying you cannot insure goods that do not belong to you and that it applies to all insurances. He also said that the real owners should insure their own goods wherever they were.

I was lucky that only a few days before I had videoed the Norton on my work platform going 360 degrees around.  It meant that in the background was everything in the workshop and  was able to be identified. Right down to the juke box case ready for the tip which he put down as a working machine even though it had no internals !!

He worked on behalf of Aviva and Abbey National for many years and I found him more than fair.  Just a pity about the bikes. I lost over £20k.

Stay safe.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 04.12. 2020 12:02 »
There is the usual flat on the side peg due to an over enthusiastic rider

Memories - yes the Flash 'I had in the sixties suffered in that way I recall a hairy moment on a corner on route to Hexam, the side peg caught a grate and I felt the bike lift, both the two A's I have now have side pegs with all the paint intact never mind metal removed, funny that, wonder if it might have something to do with the strength of the new springs holding them up (or the little grey cells erring on the side of caution)
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 04.12. 2020 20:23 »
"Regards the assessors actions, he followed it up by saying you cannot insure goods that do not belong to you and that it applies to all insurances." Just one word to address that - rubbish. So your car is not insured if it's on HP? Or the hire car you've paid extra insurance for? Or 'vehicles in my custody' which I've paid an extra premium for doesn't apply? As I said earlier, a typical loss adjuster trying to wriggle out of paying.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline MrShifta

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #14 on: 05.12. 2020 13:46 »
I only related my experiences,  I assumed he was talking about house/contents insurance. We also had business stock cover. I suggest you ask your house/contents insurance what their policy is. Our fire was 10 years ago now, things may have changed but I doubt it.

With respect to the car issue I assume when you hire/lease a car you sign to accept responsibility for it and that you will insure it.

Happy to drop the issue now as I don't want any discord guys.

Thanks for your responses.