Author Topic: When was my Golden Flash born?  (Read 1189 times)

Offline John Sander

• 58 Golden Flash
  • Active
When was my Golden Flash born?
« on: 09.07. 2020 00:57 »
Hi Everyone, I am now the proud owner of a Golden Flash. I thought it was a 1958, but now I suspect it could be 1954. I am keen to fund out exactly when it was born. The frame number is CA7.164(X) and it has a swing arm rear.
The online lists of frame and engine numbers indicate this makes it a 1954. Would someone be brace enough to confirm this for me please?
Many thanks, I John
Cheers, John
Perth WA

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: When was my Golden Flash born?
« Reply #1 on: 09.07. 2020 02:13 »
Hi Everyone, I am now the proud owner of a Golden Flash. I thought it was a 1958, but now I suspect it could be 1954. I am keen to fund out exactly when it was born. The frame number is CA7.164(X) and it has a swing arm rear.
The online lists of frame and engine numbers indicate this makes it a 1954. Would someone be brace enough to confirm this for me please?
Many thanks, I John

https://www.bsaownersclub.co.uk/number_display.php?theyear=5 confirms yr bike as a 1954 model, if you want to know a despatch date from the factory, as opposed to model year, then you will have to ask someone with access to the bsa despatch books, the bsa club uk has access.

My bike is a 56 model but was despatched from the factory in dec ‘55.

Complicating things further is bikes that were not (first) registered in their model year.......eg bikes where a long time passed between leaving the factory and being registered for the road, as often the year of registration is taken as the year the bike (or car) was made.

New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline John Sander

• 58 Golden Flash
  • Active
« Reply #2 on: 09.07. 2020 03:36 »
 *smile* Thanks KiwiGF.
Hope that someone with access to the BSA Dispatch records will read my message and reply.
Cheers John
Cheers, John
Perth WA

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 09.07. 2020 05:19 »
*smile* Thanks KiwiGF.
Hope that someone with access to the BSA Dispatch records will read my message and reply.
Cheers John

Thats possible, but you will have to give the whole numbers, the despatch records are in engine number sequence I’ve been told, so a frame number is harder to find.

There are some uk based facebook groups where some bsa club members sometimes help with despatch info. I paid the VMCC uk for a dating certificate for my A10, some 8ish years ago now.
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 09.07. 2020 09:24 »
 JS    On the basis that the bike is a '54, the good news is that the single sided front wheel is the correct one, so my earlier post can be binned. Should have a rod operated rear brake, with a combined rear drum and sprocket.

Frame numbers for A7 and A10 models are the same, CA7 denotes 1954/55 model year for Swing Arm versions. Engine number  for '54, like the frame, is CA Series, CA7 or CA10 as appropriate. Your Golden Flash will be CA10 if it is a contemporary or original motor. Frame and engine numbers do not match.

From you posts it appears there is no documentation, so registering it for road use will require some sort of inspection or verification. If this is the case start getting a handle on the requirements now, before starting the big spend. Even assembling a cleaned up non runner to photograph or submit for inspection. This will also go some way to establishing what parts are missing.

Swarfy.

Offline John Sander

• 58 Golden Flash
  • Active
« Reply #5 on: 09.07. 2020 10:31 »
Swarfy,
Many thanks for that information. I will check the engine number soon and see how that relates, or not, to the sequence that you've given.
I've already downloaded the 374 page (I'm not kidding) local government motor vehicle design rules and regulations document for a little night time reading. Checked all references for motorcycles and nothing that's scared me so far.
It's going to be a full bare metal restoration so not afraid of doing it right first time. Only part missing, would you believe is the headlight shroud. Lucky for me. Can't wait to get going on the restoration 😀
I'll try and post pictures regularly.
Cheers John
Cheers, John
Perth WA

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 09.07. 2020 15:14 »
You say that it is a Gold Flash do you have any documentation to prove that if not then before you embark on a possibly costlly restoration you need to find out exactly what you have. Yes that would appear to be a 1954 frame but it could belong to an A7 an A7 Shooting Star or an A10 Road Rocket as well as a Gold Flash they all begin CA7-
Some 25 years ago I bought what I was led to believe was a 1957 Gold Flash it came with a dating certificate from the VMCC saying it was a 1957 engine and a 1957 frame. I duly restored it as a 1957 Gold Flash registered it with the DVLA as such and recieved an age related number plate. About a year later I joined the BSA owners club sent the frame number and engine number to the dating officerand was surprised to find that according to the dispatch records the frame was 1956 and when it left the factory it had a Shooting Star engine fitted.
According to the BSA owners club a bikes identity is determined by the frame number, you can put what ever engine you like in it and call it what you like but as far as the BSA owners club is  concerned the bike is what it is described as according to the dispatch records and will not change.
When I sold that bike some 16 years later I informed the new owner of it's history and gave him both dating certificates he was not at all bothered about the bikes past.
If you are bothered about the bikes history I suggest you check the BSA owners website where you will find information on how get a dating certificate, it wil tell you the date the bike was dispatched and if the engine you have was with it when dispatched also to which dealer it was dispatched to.
56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 09.07. 2020 16:38 »
<Pedant >
Golden Flash
</Pedant >
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline John Sander

• 58 Golden Flash
  • Active
« Reply #8 on: 10.07. 2020 04:20 »
Many thanks for the sound advice BikerBob. Will get that dating certificate to be sure.
Cheers, John
Perth WA

Offline RogerSB

• 1960 Golden Flash, Plymouth, Devon, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 10.07. 2020 22:18 »
Yes that would appear to be a 1954 frame but it could belong to an A7 an A7 Shooting Star or an A10 Road Rocket as well as a Gold Flash they all begin CA7-

Engine number should tell you. Just plain old A10 with no SS or RR = A10 Golden Flash.

1960 Golden Flash

Offline John Sander

• 58 Golden Flash
  • Active
« Reply #10 on: 20.07. 2020 00:53 »
Hi All.
I got my hands on the engine at last for my suspected GF.  Engine number is CA10 1029. So in combination with the frame number of CA7 1645, I do believe it is a 1954 Golden Flash.
I'll apply for the despatch certificate to verify. At least now I can get started dismantling and assessing what needs attention. The engine last ran in approximately 1968 and apart from some crapped out pistons and rings, nothing looks too bad at a first glance. (ha)
Mark this point in time as I'm sure I'll be posting messages in the future to let you know of yet to be discovered issues  *eek*
So forging ahead and appreciate anyones advice on specific things I should be looking out for as I strip apart my engine and gearbox.
Cheers John
Cheers, John
Perth WA

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 20.07. 2020 07:41 »
 G'day JS   Fixings into alloy are Whitworth Thread. The other fastenings are Cycle "CEI" otherwise known as BSCy.  Cylinder Head bolts are BSF by my reckoning, perhaps someone can confirm.
  Dismantling is straight forward, look for cracked castings and ill fitted bodged and pulled threads.

Here are a few things to help make it easy when you go for the big reveal.

Locknut and Oil pump drive on the end of the crank, timing side, have a LEFT HAND THREAD.   Use a homespun puller to remove the pinion on the crank, not a big hammer. With the pinion in place the crank won't pass thro' the timing side bush.

Drive side cush nut has a tightness figure of 65/75 ft/Lbs, make beg borrow a proper 4 peg something to undo it, not the hooligan's method.

Cases will split with all the fixings removed. Don't miss the internal nut by the camshaft trough.  Camshaft drive gear can remain attached, thread is normal right hand, then removed when you have the cases apart and can easily hold the cam still. Some cam gears slip off easily, tight ones need a puller using the two threaded holes. Take care with the pesky camshaft keyway when reassembling. The key displaces and digs into the bush. If the cam and bushes are OK, the cam can remain in place, undisturbed, as this does not hinder splitting the cases.

Con rods ...drive side has one with a small hole in the web just above the big end eye. This should face towards the flywheel.

That's the basics, now find some spanners that fit as a first step.

Cheers

Swarfy.

Offline John Sander

• 58 Golden Flash
  • Active
« Reply #12 on: 20.07. 2020 07:47 »
Thanks Swarfy,  some great tips to avoid me breaking something and saving a lot of time.
Cheers, John
Perth WA

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 20.07. 2020 08:08 »
Hi John,
Have you decided on the bike colour yet?
Pic attached shows my gold 1954, and friend Mario's black 1955.
Location is Canegrass Swamp; half way between Kalgoorlie and Menzies.

Richard

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 20.07. 2020 08:54 »
Cleaning the sludge trap may have already been mentioned but it doesn't hurt to say it again.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash