Author Topic: Strobe Timing Light  (Read 2148 times)

Online Colsbeeza

• Resident Legend
Re: Strobe Timing Light
« Reply #15 on: 15.08. 2023 05:22 »
Ta Musky, I've ordered one.
1961 Golden Flash
Australia

Online Colsbeeza

• Resident Legend
« Reply #16 on: 19.08. 2023 08:29 »
The new timing light has a separate lead and clip for measuring Dwell. I haven't measured Dwell since I used it on my 1952 Holden 35 years ago. I don't think I have ever thought about Dwell on our magneto bikes. Although it would be nice to know what the dwell is or should be, but is it possible to measure it on a magneto? If so should it take priority over points gap? and where would I connect the Dwell clip? I am sure Bill Groily or Andrew Cheeserbeeser will have an opinion on this??
Col
1961 Golden Flash
Australia

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #17 on: 19.08. 2023 09:35 »
Not much of an opinion as such from here Col  . . .

. . . But, the practice on twin cyl camring mags was typically a ratio of Points Open to Closed period of 0.8 - so on a K2F it would mean points closed for 100° of rotation x 2, open for 80° x 2. On a 4 spark per rev mag those figures would be halved. On a single, much more points open time - as the coil charges up fully in the 100° points closed sort of arc of movement.

Camrings should offer the right ratio if the points gaps are set correctly, and while it might be recommended to focus on the dwell more than the gap on some distributors, not I think a good plan with mags as a big gap causes wear on the contact breaker and a small one risks arcing.
A small points gap will increase the dwell a bit, and a large one reduce it, as the points open earlier with big gaps. Wear will also be a factor probably.

I haven't ever tried to measure the effect of reduced or increased dwell on HT voltage with a mag. Maybe someone has?

The two priorities are that the gaps should be reasonably close to equal (within a couple of thou), and above all that the firing interval is as close as you can get it.

I have only ever measured the ratio (just using a rotary table) as an incidental activity when faced with worn camrings that need tweaking to get even firing. I haven't noticed a performance penalty as a consequence of grinding the cam lobes a tad. You could probably measure your dwell with a degree disc on the spindle and something to tell you when the points open  . . . If you wanted!
Bill

Online Colsbeeza

• Resident Legend
« Reply #18 on: 19.08. 2023 12:34 »
Hi Bill, That all makes sense. I'll leave the Dwell clip off then.
Col
1961 Golden Flash
Australia