Author Topic: single sided rear brake  (Read 292 times)

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
single sided rear brake
« on: 25.01. 2020 16:19 »
have I had my rear brake torque arm on the wrong side of the swing arm bracket for over 40 years? *eek* hence having the brake plate slightly out of line and upsetting the shoe alignment. I just set it up to emery the shoes a bit and when I turned the sprocket it seemed to drag and snatch with the arm fitted facing me on the swing arm, I then put the torque arm on the back of the swing arm bracket and it spun perfect. does anyone with a single sided set up know which side of the bracket the torque arm was fitted at the factory because over the years it could have been bent and fitted incorrectly. I have had it fitted facing me since taking all the bike to pieces all those years ago and rebuilding it but now I have found it is happier fitted behind and seems to line things up as they should be.

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: single sided rear brake
« Reply #1 on: 25.01. 2020 16:53 »
Torque arm should always be under tension, never compression.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
Re: single sided rear brake
« Reply #2 on: 25.01. 2020 20:22 »
yes RD fella  under tension,I have been having a good look at it and maybe it had a bit of a bend at both ends years ago. it's just that with having a play today I noticed when everything was in situ the brake drum was snagging on the emery but when I put the arm behind the fixing bracket it must have lined the brake plate up properly. before that it must have always been a bit sqewwhif all these years without me knowing until the abrasive paper was in there. I was just wondering where it was anchored straight out of the factory.  I have done the shoes now and spent some time on the torque arm so it is now only under tension. come the better weather I will find out if I have a better break than I've had for years.