Author Topic: Gold Flash Completion, well for now  (Read 930 times)

Offline Rich

• A's Good Friend
Gold Flash Completion, well for now
« on: 31.07. 2019 09:03 »
Having purchased a 1959/60, sadly re-registered 1972, at the moment for now, outfit, which had been stood for 33 years, for the sum of £3500.

In March this year, I set about its restoration, as greybeard recommended I took his advice and removed the engine to strip down to clean out the sludge trap, the rebuild of the engine consisted of SRM hex sludge trap plugs, a new timing side bush and crank regrind, as well as a barrel hone to remove the glaze and new pistons and rings as well as new gaskets.

The Gearbox had to be striped as the previous owner said it used to get tight when hot, the problem looked to be the replacement final gear mainshaft bushes, both butted up to each other with no gap in the centre for oil, a quick fix in the lathe, gearbox rebuilt with a new sprocket and an SRM sprocket nut with seal, the drive side had a new engine sprocket ( solo) fitted with an SRM timing set nut, as well as an SRM 4 spring clutch and new primary chain, the sliding plate had a neophrene seal as well as a felt seal, also a small hole was drilled in the inspection cap on the outer case to releiase any pressure build up, I had fitted the mods to a friends rocket and the gearbox and primary chain guard have remaained oil leak proof, so hopefully so will mine.

As I had taken the engine out, the frame really needed a paint job as did the tinware to smarten it up, so off to the sandblasters to be blasted and primed, I decided that i was going to respray myself with Halford rattle cans, using a petrol proof laquer on top.

The forks were the wrong ones and also worn out also the bottom yolk shaft must have been bent as it was tight on the steering on one side, so replacement fork sliders and bottom yolk were sourced from a well known auction site, new staunchions and bushes were purchased as well as rear suspension units.

As you know from my previous posts the frame had been replaced in 1972, hence the registration number, unfortunately the frame had been used for racing so all the stand lugs the tank anti roll bracket, the tank fixing bracket as well as the front seat fixing and the two tool box fixings had been cut off, I was lucky enough to have been loaned a frame to copy all the brackets, I fabricated them all and took them to my local welding firm to have them fitted to the frame.

All the chrome was cleaned carefully with soft wire wool and either a soft rubbing down compound or solvo autosol and refitted, the rear wheel is the worst with one half rusty still and one half not too bad, must have had some damp getting on it whilst stored, the carb, dynamo and mag were cleaned and preform well, even when hot, the bike starts and runs well, although I have had to fit one of Polly's anti wet sump valves.

The rebuild has not gone without problems so I am going to call it "Moaning Myrtle" as not meaning to be sexist if it was male it would have cooperated!!

Just for interest I totted up what I had spent on work done by others and parts obtained, a grand total of £3020. 78p, making a total of £6520, Just goes to prove we do this sort of thing for love, as I will not get all that money back if I sellit, but to me it is worth it, even more may be spent later getting the rear wheel rim and spokes.

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Gold Flash Completion, well for now
« Reply #1 on: 31.07. 2019 09:58 »
Pictures?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #2 on: 31.07. 2019 10:18 »
Thanks for taking the time to post the story.
(ps, edited text into paragraphs to avoid getting a headache while attempting to read it :O)

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #3 on: 31.07. 2019 14:36 »
Rich, well done lovely job .Now please avoid turning this happy story sour . DON'T fit an anti wet sump valve ,they are bad news . I had one on my bike and on one ride it was fine and 2 days later , no return to the tank , checked everything and finally the valve ,the ball had stuck fast  and I had to drift it out to clear the valve , if I hadn't checked the return flow or it had stuck whilst going along my lovely engine would have been toast. Feel sure many others on here have the same sentiments .
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 31.07. 2019 15:09 »

Good stuff Rich, but in addition to T-dads comment
.....DON'T fit an anti wet sump valve ,they are bad news .........
, I reckon you need to swap those yolks out of the forks and use yokes instead....just a bit more integrity than custard  *eek*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Rich

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 31.07. 2019 16:19 »
I thought I would get staunchions wrong not yokes :! ;) Thanks for editing, greybeard I have never been able to master the complicated way of posting pictures, as for the valve, I have never had trouble with my other bike's fitted with a valve, the new spring and ball fitted, as well as a light tap, did not stop the wet sumping I do not trust myself to remember to open a manual valve, so no option I am afraid.

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #6 on: 31.07. 2019 18:37 »
we do this sort of thing for love, as I will not get all that money back if I sellit, but to me it is worth it

well said, well done.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline Rich

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #7 on: 31.07. 2019 19:58 »
two pictures

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #8 on: 31.07. 2019 20:51 »
G'day Rich.
Well done mate and thanks for the rundown.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline scotty

• Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 31.07. 2019 20:56 »
Nice work Rich  !

Scotty

Current liabilities:
'56 A10 Dark Flash
‘74 Berlin Bomber R75-6

Offline Billybream

• Resident Legend
« Reply #10 on: 01.08. 2019 04:11 »
Interesting story, another one saved, nice work.
1960 Super Rocket, owned since 1966, back on the road 2012 after being laid up for 29yrs.

ironhead

« Reply #11 on: 01.08. 2019 10:18 »

Good stuff Rich, but in addition to T-dads comment
.....DON'T fit an anti wet sump valve ,they are bad news .........
, I reckon you need to swap those yolks out of the forks and use yokes instead....just a bit more integrity than custard  *eek*

Yeah I could never figure out to use eggs on the forks. *eek*

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 01.08. 2019 11:02 »

...Yeah I could never figure out to use eggs on the forks. *eek*....

Yep, and they aren't sucked on right, the wind catches them and we all end up egg-faced...umm- *shh* I think I betta go check on sumpthin'....
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #13 on: 01.08. 2019 12:11 »
this is getting eggstremely silly *bash*

Offline Rich

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #14 on: 01.08. 2019 13:14 »
Moaning Myrtle strikes again, just went on line to tax it so I could pop out for a test ride, unless I pay monies, I have to go into a post office to take the V5c in as it needs to be declared as Historic to qualify for free road tax, why they can't do it automatically when say it changes hands, as it did in March is beyond me.!!
Roight oh I,m off on me tractor with me V5c