Author Topic: Gold Flash Completion, well for now  (Read 928 times)

Offline Rich

• A's Good Friend
Re: Gold Flash Completion, well for now
« Reply #15 on: 01.08. 2019 22:10 »
I managed a ride out this afternoon, she went like a little sewing machine, so sweet and pulled and sounded really good, one of the "So Far" nicest motors I've had.
I could not twist my aging neck to see what was behind me, so I rode back home to fit a mirror, once that was fitted, I togged up again, but "Moaning Myrtle" stuck again, it would not start, after letting her cool down for about an hour, I tried again, first kick, so it looks like the mag is faulty, I am not surprised after 33 years, but if it was a male bike it probably would have been fine, no disrespect ladies :-)
Hopefully Donald Day will do an old friend a favour and refurbish it in a few days, as I really do want to ride it to the International on the Sunday.
Looks like it will have to be the Thorspark ignition for now, as Don cannot fit minein this week, at least I can fit the electronic points without taking the mag. off, I have arranged for Don to refurbish the mag. during the winter months.
So just have to wait for it to be delivered from Sussex M/C via the royal Mail.

Offline Rich

• A's Good Friend
Re: Gold Flash Completion, well for now
« Reply #16 on: 04.08. 2019 22:02 »
Just as a close to my story for now, I have fitted the Thorspark and started it up this afternoon, but although it started first kick and ran, I felt it was a tad retarded, so this evening, while the wife watched Poldark, I checked the timing and advanced it a little, I will test run it tomorrow.
I also replaced the front linings in the front hub, as it was pretty useless, the shoes I used were ones that came with the bike with what looked like metal wires embedded in them, old Ferodo type I think, they were certainly thicker than the ones that came out, so hopefully the front brake may work, will also find out tomorrow