Author Topic: Another BSA A7 comes back to life  (Read 1154 times)

Offline ppanichelli

• Active
    • declasicos.com
Re: Another BSA A7 comes back to life
« Reply #15 on: 26.03. 2019 21:27 »
Hola Senor
                 You should be very proud of your bike, and the hard work you have done. Congratulations on a fine machine.
 It looks as if the back wheel is a little bit too far to the rear,  but the more I look at I am almost thinking that you do not have a standard frame. Is the vertical frame seat tube straight, or does it have a bend to give more room around the carburettor?

Musky... A sure sign of something  machining a nice big hole in the primary case, and a very neat, effective and convenient (clutch access plate) repair in a part of the world where another case would be hard to find. Well that's how I reckon it came about. In the absence of the correct parts, who knows what's in there.

It is back in use, and that is what counts. Well done.

Swarfy.

Thanks so much for your response. The frame it's original, however I can't prove the same for other pieces in the chain system. It happens that these bikes were beloved in the 50', mistreated in the 60's, despiced in the 70's and so on...no spares, no internet, the only way to keep them moving was adapting anything on hand...

When you purchase an original spare, it doesn't fit because some rocket engineer made changes on the original concept. As hard as it sounds, we attempted to bring the originality as much as we can...

Offline ppanichelli

• Active
    • declasicos.com
« Reply #16 on: 26.03. 2019 21:35 »
Yr 6th post in 5 years and what an excellent one, and great pics, a superb effort particularly as your in Argentina, which must have made it twice as hard (and expensive  *eek* ).

Did the barrel angle issue get resolved?

So funny you bring up that issue. I was adviced to ask a very old mechanic who still works for his own pleasure. I showed him the barrels saying that they didn't work anymore, and I was lost. He said: "who was the green one that told you so?". The barrels are there, rectified, new aluminium forged pistons, and for the record, using Honda NX 150 piston rings.
 ;)

Offline ppanichelli

• Active
    • declasicos.com
« Reply #17 on: 26.03. 2019 21:37 »
In one word "BRILLIANT" well done. *clap*
Are the exhaust pipes original and re-chromed or new? If new they are the best i'v seen.
Peter
Thanks so much!!
Glad you like the exhaust pipes. They are replicas made in Buenos Aires  ;)

Offline ppanichelli

• Active
    • declasicos.com
« Reply #18 on: 26.03. 2019 21:53 »
A great story and a beautiful bike. Uplifting to read about.

I can't imagine the extra difficulties associated with location so far from Birmingham. You must have grit and determination in bucket loads.

'Well done' is just not enough.

What an inspiration for the many others outside the usual geographical concentrations of BSAs.

Thanks so much for your message. Indeed, I have been close to send it all to hell so many times. Everything we touched, it was a whole new history. Just to mention that the my mechanic told me; "we have a problem: the connection rods say FORD!". I found original rods, but the story is too long for a post

Anyway, I posted this story because if there's anybody in the same process, they have to know it takes a lot of time and money, and in the end you will acquire a zen patience. But if you don't burn it all, the result will be awesome!

Offline ppanichelli

• Active
    • declasicos.com
« Reply #19 on: 26.03. 2019 22:00 »
G'day duTch.  I am with you on this. The brake performance will be improved by simply moving both front and rear operating arms round on the cam splines.
 Also the front mudguard stay could be considered to be on upside down, they were originally intended to drop down easily to support the forks when removing the front wheel.

These are just observations, more fascinating is the rear hub, which looks as if it is well worth Swarfy Points, adapted from something else and with a bolt on sprocket (maybe?)....A fine innovation given the difficulty is sourcing correct parts. Bike would be a bit quicker with the right size sprocket, but surely will easily climb those big mountains.

Well done Senor.

Swarfy.

Thanks so much for your observations. I have learnt a lot from pictures in this forum. Many of them shows perfect bikes. In this case, I know there are many details left (the toolbox, the mudguards, etc). However I didn't pay attention to those items you mentioned. Very interesting!! I will have to get back to research.... ;)