Author Topic: Losing the plot  (Read 502 times)

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Losing the plot
« on: 24.02. 2019 21:18 »
I have been putting together a 1958 Flash for some time now.
I had the engine and gearbox in the frame, the clutch and primary chain fitted , clutch adjusted (6 spring) and primary cover sealed and fitted. Rear chain and guard on.
The inner has the sheet metal shroud around the sprocket, I always fit them as the bike looks untidy without.
I thought that I should see how the footrests fitted up and guess what?
The left hand spline can't be fitted with everything in place.
So I stripped the primary down and fitted the spline and went through the whole thing again.
I left this thing alone for some months and was looking at the footrest spline and I said to myself "that doesn't look right."
Would you believe that I had fitted the wrong spline? The right hand one was in there. Bloody idiot.
So yesterday I went through the whole process again. This time I didn't remove the inner, I found that there was enough movement with the clutch removed and all of the fasteners out.
It is almost back together now.
Probably the most frustrating part of the job is removing and refitting the rear inner to frame bolt. With the tin shroud in place there is no room for fingers to get the nut on.
There is just enough room to slip an open ended spanner in there so it becomes the fingers. Very fiddly.
What else would I be doing on a Sunday afternoon?

Offline Peter in Aus

• Valued Contributor
  • South West, West Australia
Re: Losing the plot
« Reply #1 on: 25.02. 2019 00:53 »
Your are not alone there, been there don that? *problem* *beer*

Busselton West Australia
49 A7 longstroke
58 A10  SA

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 25.02. 2019 03:13 »
Know what you mean Trev.
I just spent two and a half weeks chasing a carb problem on the rebuilt Honda. Turned out to be a pinched wire to the left coil. At least I know the carbs are CLEAN.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Angus

• Suffolk, UK
  • Resident Legend
  • The A7
« Reply #3 on: 25.02. 2019 11:09 »
Hi All
I spent Sunday doing the same job. Same problems with the inner case to frame bolt, dropped it and the washer to many times to count. You probably heard the loud profanities in Auz. Finally got it on and then fitted the top and bottom of the fully enclosed case. Turned the rear wheel and something is rubbing. Only just catching in one place, I can hear it not feel it at the rear wheel, the rest is free. Now do I pull it all down to find it or just let it wear a little grove somewhere.
1961 A7 since 1976, 1960 A10 Gold Flash Super Profile Bike
1958 Matchless G80 Project, 1952 Norton Model 7 Plunger
1950 Triumph T100, 1981 Ducati Pantah 500, 1959 AJS model 20

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 25.02. 2019 20:11 »
Hi Guys,
I would have to find the plot in order to lose it *conf2* *conf2* *pull hair out*

A trick for that nut and the one on the inside of the front  chain guard section (on the bolt that goes through to the sliding plate) is to braze a piece of stiff wire to the nut so you can hold it in place while threading in the bolt

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)