Author Topic: How the rubber strip is retained on the front of Cowpat style cowls  (Read 1152 times)

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Richard,
I remembered that I'd promised to check my headlamp cowl for you.
That screwdriver is 6mm diameter. It goes through the gap between headlamp and cowl rubber with a slight push.
I only see 4 clips today. I thought I had five last time I checked!
I marked their positions with some white tape. The clips are not fixed symmetricaly which is strange. The topmost clip is 15mm to the right of central. I do not remember working on those clips when I restored the bike apart from cleaning and painting.

If you need more, just ask.

Update:
I went back and double checked; there really are only four clips. I'm sorry if my previous post told you that there were five clips. 😕
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
GB,

Thanks, very much. I didn't mean to cause you a bunch of disassembly, but I'm very grateful for the pictures. If five is over-crowded I should be able to easily de-braze or grind away the center one. If it's not in the way, well, the more the merrier. I can tell you that I don't think I will have the same headlight-shell-to-cowl gap. I think mine will be smaller even without the sort of rolled-in front lip, which I just realized is probably there for stiffening. Anyway, this saga of tediosity will continue when I receive the rubber strip.

Richard L.

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
... I didn't mean to cause you a bunch of disassembly...
NP! It's a matter of about one minute to take out the two headlamp screws.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash