Author Topic: Hello Eveybody.  (Read 1354 times)

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
Hello Eveybody.
« on: 08.10. 2018 15:24 »
Greetings to one and all. Should I refer to you as fellow sufferers, pioneers, or ingenious and creative ones? A noble band dedicated to Small Heath's Finest?.

Well folks at long last having visited as a Guest almost every day for the last couple of years, I have' taken the plunge' and I and my trusty '53 Plungy A10 have passed the first hurdle and been accepted to the Forum. I hope I can assist some of you, seek help from some of you,  laugh and cry with some of you. Especially that decent fellow Greybeard, whose twisting and turning troubles  seemed never ending for a time.

I have owned my Flash since 1971, when I bought it as an "English Chopper" For those members in far flung exotic places this description may sound a little strange, but bear in mind in those days most of us youthful, enthusiastic and mechanically  inept got our information from such worthy tomes as Motorcycle Mechanics and Mr Haycraft's Pitman book, and used our dad's worn Whitworth Spanners from his motorcycling days. Every bloke of a certain age had a tin of odd nuts and bolts that fitted nothing. Taps and Dies? What?   

So, the English Chopper was a mix of the worst of everything. concerning construction, finish and reliability. However, with the ignorance of youth, Peter Fonda a very recent memory, riding round  really was the dogs*. In the case of the A10, Haycraft's book only detailed top end maintenance. Splitting crankcases was something for the local dealer. Suffice to say, this all came to  fruition  in the form of the Great Mechanical Disaster of 1972, in the outside lane of England's almost deserted M1 Motorway, somewhere near Newport Pagnell Services, on a Sunday afternoon.

Perhaps Haycraft had a secret pact with Crank Grinders and Bearing Suppliers. How many have gone bang over the years thanks to the secret sludge trap. Even when I had cranks reground there was no mention along the lines " Don't forget to remove those two plugs and give it a good clean." You were back in a matter of weeks, same again please, less another 10 Thou. So a simple cause of failure in hindsight, but at the time it was the End of the World.

Well you will be pleased to know it was rebuilt in 1976, after a visit to the Science Museum in London made me realise that the superb example of a 1950's  BSA Motorcycle was none other than the same model resting in my garage.

So, its not concours by any means, but a good workhorse. This was at the time when greater interest in old bikes had just started and you could still get bits from the former BSA Dealers. Alas, I was never cured and I now have another couple to occupy my time.

I am currently based in Suffolk, near Ipswich. UK

* The Dog's" A curious colloguial phrase  which means "excellence in the highest degree"

Enough of this rambling, I will try and add a picture.   Thanks for being a great international  movement for the A10.

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
Re: Hello Eveybody.
« Reply #1 on: 08.10. 2018 16:28 »
Thanks for great intro & story, welcome aboard!

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 08.10. 2018 16:36 »
Welcome Swarfcut.

Like the intro and the photo (twin determined to be a single)
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
« Reply #3 on: 08.10. 2018 16:43 »
Welcome pal.  A good example of 'engine failure' I would say. *eek* :o
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 08.10. 2018 17:33 »
Thanks for the welcome wishes. To continue the story, its a 1953 A10 Plunger with thin fin barrel. The cylinder head survived, as did the timing side case and con rod. The barrel lost its skirt a bit. I was given an early A7 bottom end, 1951 which turned out to be A7 scroll type cases containing an A10 crank, rods and pistons. I was able to rebuild a motor. Remember this is 1972, when such obsolete parts were considered junk. However once built and running nicely, I went for a trip to Sutton Park. I was living in Great Barr, Birmingham at the time, Sutton Park was and still is a green oasis in the North of Birmingham sprawl.

Then the oil tank emptied itself into the crankcase, lots of smoke but it kept going to get me home, rear end covered in oil. Over several weeks of deliberation, poking that pesky li'l 'ol ball valve under the sump plate without success trying to get the oil to return, I pulled off the oil pump and fitted a bit of plastic pipe to the valve, covered the hole on the oil pump mounting face with my finger and blew down the pipe. Gotcha!! A leak on the scavenge side. Ripped it to bits..strange, .pipe in place. A Mystery? No, took the pipe off to find the weld where the pipe turns at right angles into the case had fatigued, hidden from view on casual inspection. Which was probably why this set of cases and crank had been discarded.

The original crank turned out to be undamaged, so kept it as a spare. A couple of years ago  with the aid of a small drill, a big socket type flat blade screwdriver blade and a lot of heat, got them out.

So there you have it.....check that pipe whenever you have the cases apart on an unknown engine .you tend to assume it's OK. and don't neglect that sludge trap!

Do not look at the pictures unless want sleepless nights.  First 2 are from my blown engine, others from the engine given to me which I reckon I saved just in time.

Offline RayC10

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 08.10. 2018 17:38 »
Hi.Swarfcut....Ipswich.....did you get to Copdock? It was a great do and much appreciation due to the guys who organised it.
Don't you hate it when your conrod makes a bid for frredom, i had one do that once, thought the chain had just snapped and a new link would sort it but I was fekin wrong :(

Online Angus

• Suffolk, UK
  • Resident Legend
  • The A7
« Reply #6 on: 08.10. 2018 17:54 »
Hi Swarfcut and welcome, Ipswich very close to me. After going around the copdock show this sunday, I spent a bit of time with my local section of the VMCC of which I am secretary. You may want to come and give us a look.

1961 A7 since 1976, 1960 A10 Gold Flash Super Profile Bike
1958 Matchless G80 Project, 1952 Norton Model 7 Plunger
1950 Triumph T100, 1981 Ducati Pantah 500, 1959 AJS model 20

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 08.10. 2018 18:03 »
Yes indeed. Wandered like a lost soul through the jumble, found some reasonably priced treasure.  Sadly some sellers have an over optimistic view of price versus value. It is only worth what someone is prepared to pay and I am sure I've seen the same stuff 3 years running at Copdock, and at Kettlebrook.  Probably see it there  again in a few weeks time.  The guys I bought off either asked reasonable prices or were amenable to a bit of discount or throw in extras for the same money.

It was a good show,  amazing Custom Builds, radical Honda V twin  powered Lambetta Li (engineering innovation prize winner) Nice late model A10 on display in the exhibition hall. Plus motocross and stunt riding in the Arena. Good weather helped but getting out was a nightmare. Usual Trinity Park chaos.

Hi Angus... Thanks for the invite. I used to be a VMCC member, North Birmingham Section  in the 1980's Fell out with them a bit when it started to become a money making enterprise..... I see one of its former directors now has an interest in the running of the National Motorcycle Museum, which now has an online shop selling Lucas Wa***l Stuff. A moral for us all?

Online Bsareg

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 08.10. 2018 19:01 »
Swarfcut, your mention that everyone had a tin of odd nuts and bolts reminded me of my dad, except he kept them in his overalls pockets. So much so that when he died I dressed him in the overalls and sewed a hand full of nuts and bolts etc into his pockets. I wonder what the crematorium staff thought when they were raking out.........
Helston, Cornwall C11,B40,B44 Victor,A10,RGS,M21,Rocket3,REBSA

Offline BigJim

• Resident Legend
  • Bristol. UK
« Reply #9 on: 08.10. 2018 19:15 »
Great intro. Am recently out of the shadows myself. Nice helpful people and good fun. Have you got a runner at mo?
 *welcome* *good3* *beer* *wave*
Jamie,  Supporter of Distinguished Gentleman's Ride

Offline Falconer59

• Active
« Reply #10 on: 08.10. 2018 20:12 »
Hi Swarfcut
 Welcome to someone local , I’m just outside Colchester

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 08.10. 2018 20:31 »
Swarfcut,

Welcome the forum.   *welcome*. It does, indeed, look like you will be making many contributions (you've already started). 

I just watched a video from 2018 Copdock show and believe I saw you letting loose of your bike as it reached its apex above the ramp jump. Oh, you kids!

Richard L.

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 08.10. 2018 21:37 »
Goodness, I have crossed the pond. Great to hear from Richard in Chicago, BigJim ,Falconer &  Bsareg plus anyone I have missed.         
      I mentioned I have had my Flash for a very long time. It came from a fella in Cardiff, who had chopperised it. I brought it back on the train, rode it home from the railway station slightly missing some essential paperwork, namely the small paper token which in the UK all street legal vehicles should display, (Nowadays you don't) and of course that other bit of paper which should cover you against third party risks.
    I was living in Bexleyheath, Kent, working in Dartford. Local dealer was Schweizo Bros in Lowfield Street. One day the word went round they were closing, all the showroom bikes had gone and the spares were displayed in piles. That was when I should have bought everything. But, as now, the prices always seemed a lot, and as a youngster in 1971 we just didn't have the cash. Oh for a time machine.  Anyway I rode the chopper ito work and back every day for a year or so, never let me down. Rain, Snow Sun all OK. Then of course a trip to Birmingham driven just that bit quicker was enough to shift the sludge. The pictures tell the story.

Having rebuilt the Flash back to almost original  condition, I decided to buy another. Same model.  You can only ride one at a time so my reasoning  was that you could borrow bits off the one to finish the new one. I bought a basket case from Cornwall (Classic Bike Classified advert) dismantled it into large lumps under a streetlamp and brought it back to my new home in Birmingham in the back of a MK2 Ford Capri.

Sadly earning a living, marriage, kids etc meant that  the bikes were neglected and since the mid 90's I have not had a bike on the road. I have retired now so could be that it is all about to change.  Thanks again to BigJim ...those chinking glasses remind me its time for Berger's other Pastime.

Offline berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #13 on: 08.10. 2018 22:31 »
i have not been to the pub, first Monday missed for ages *sarcastic* hello swarfcut, *wave* *welcome* that name could mean swarf in a cut- not good *eek*  I've never managed to throw a rod but did snap a crank when a young 19 year old, but bless it she got me home ok and when I pulled the drive side case off crank fell on floor leaving timing side web still in timing case *pull hair out* *bash* *work* cheers *beer*

Offline bl**dydrivers

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #14 on: 09.10. 2018 00:47 »
Welcome to the forum from Florida USA!

All those horror stories are part of the story when both bikes are complete and running.

I was born and raised in London, lived in Wrexham Wales, Telford Shropshire among other places in UK before moving out to USA.

My father had a 62 Super Rocket, hasn’t been on the road since 78, striped it down with the intention of a full restoration and then my brother and I was born and couldn’t start the project.

He gave me the Super Rocket, was still considered a basket case and only started off with frame, swing arm, engine (top end missing), gearbox and forks.

Have since found original petrol tank, original seat, original front and rear mudguards, oil tank, toolbox, centre stand, propstand, fork shrouds, speedo, tacho, NOS headlight, hubs, brake plates etc and is almost complete.

Always keeping my father informed of progress with the parts I find and hearing the knowledge and enthusiasm I have with the bike and now got himself a 57 Golden Flash. That is currently going through a full restoration and I’m sure will be finished before mine.

Just got to stay positive, never give up and with the support of family and friends anything is possible.