Author Topic: Hi  (Read 1051 times)

Offline Kieranrebecca

• Active
Hi
« on: 06.10. 2018 10:14 »
Hello I'm  new to both computers and BSAs so you'll have to bare with me ,I've bought an a7a10 unfinished project and have some questions, The bike is a7frame a10 engine with twin carb 500 cc head apparently ment for daytona races in the early 50s ,the head that is , i was informed that a twin carb
Should use twin exsausts ,is this correct or have i been spun a yarn . I'm also in need of both clocks if anyone can help  .i dont know anyone in this world of bikes  and i live in the dales near Reeth so finding spares is a nightmare all advice and help would be very welcome
Respect Dean

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Hi
« Reply #1 on: 06.10. 2018 10:39 »
G'day Dean,  *welcome*
 Get the grandkids to do the computing for you. LOL. You concentrate on the bike. Just kidding mate.
I'll try to put you questions in the right place on the forum.
What year/s are we looking at? The first 3 digits (BA7, CA7, DA7 etc) of the frame # will get close. Same with the motor.
All A7 & A10's have an A7 frame # except for the RGS and Super Flash. The A7SS head will fit on the A10 with a little work (I have one on my A10 Cafe). I prefer twin exhausts but siamese pipes will work.
Start a topic in the for sale/wanted section for the clocks.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
re: Hi
« Reply #2 on: 06.10. 2018 10:43 »
Hi Dean and welcome

A10 frames were stamped A7********.
you might have a pretty rare head there, I'm no expert on 500 (A7) heads, if it's alloy then it would be for a sports model ( shooting star)
Most models came with twin exhaust pipes, siamese (two into one) being for sidecars (sidecar racing also), twin carb might have been for racing in which case there might be a performance gain with siamese (I could have that wrong  but racing guys here will comment I'm sure).
A good reference for bike stuff is "Old Bike Mart" google it and subscribe for six months or so till you find your feet, by then with plenty help here you'll be on your way.
Just post for anything you want to know, we are always interested in how your getting on with it, we like pictures, we like to know what your upto ( yep a bloody nosey lot), all the best with it
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 06.10. 2018 11:32 »
Ditto for the 'Welcomes'. What I want to know is, is Rebecca going to get involved?  *welcome*
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #4 on: 06.10. 2018 14:00 »
Welcome aboard. Am sure you will get lots of help & info. Info about the practical use of the forum > https://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?board=15.0, open for questions.

Just start posting, start topics in the most relevant board(s), use some descriptive title for each question.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline Kieranrebecca

• Active
« Reply #5 on: 06.10. 2018 15:13 »
Hello I'm  new to both computers and BSAs so you'll have to bare with me ,I've bought an a7a10 unfinished project and have some questions, The bike is a7frame a10 engine with twin carb 500 cc head apparently ment for daytona races in the early 50s ,the head that is , i was informed that a twin carb
Should use twin exsausts ,is this correct or have i been spun a yarn . I'm also in need of both clocks if anyone can help  .i dont know anyone in this world of bikes  and i live in the dales near Reeth so finding spares is a nightmare all advice and help would be very welcome
Respect Dean
G'day Dean,  *welcome*
 Get the grandkids to do the computing for you. LOL. You concentrate on the bike. Just kidding mate.
I'll try to put you questions in the right place on the forum.
What year/s are we looking at? The first 3 digits (BA7, CA7, DA7 etc) of the frame # will get close. Same with the motor.
All A7 & A10's have an A7 frame # except for the RGS and Super Flash. The A7SS head will fit on the A10 with a little work (I have one on my A10 Cafe). I prefer twin exhausts but siamese pipes will work.
Start a topic in the for sale/wanted section for the clocks.
Cheers
cheers muskrat I've got the exausts which are upswept think I'll stick with them ,now what i need to know is how do i fit lugs and others for rearsets i got a bag of bits from a dealer but no plan of what to do with it all where do the lugs need to be welded on the frame, i can see this is going to take a long time
Respect

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 06.10. 2018 16:40 »
Dean,

Let me repeat a strong welcome to the forum. I know the day is ahead when you will proudly present your completed and running bike. We all hope to be helpful along the way and you will soon learn who's who in expertise, as in: enthusiast hobbyists (self), master mechanics, engineers and motorcycle professionals. The gamut of experience and types (all good) is here.

Reeth looks wonderful. What a place to live! I watched this whole video: https://youtu.be/9Hkp9WSdubM

Now I want to stay at the Buck Hotel, lunch at the Copper Kettle, stop at the Ice Cream Parlour and grab an ale at the Black Bull. Of course, fitting in the circuit route walk around the village. Oh, those Chicago suburbanites can dream, eh?

As for parts, you're just 2-1/2 hours from Burton Bike Bits and 4-1/2 from SRM Engineering in Aberystwyth, the current spiritual home of BSA parts engineering, with an extensive online shop as well. If you're interested in socializing with other members, I don't recall any in the Dales, but I know there are some in Derbyshire (that's kind'a near you, right?). Also, if you get out to Liverpool, our friend Topdad (Bob) is there. I'm sure I'm forgetting many.

Back to parts, your main source is still going to be the internet (or, maybe, telephone, as in C&D Autos). If you need opinion about various sources, just ask.

We are looking forward to the first pics.

Richard L.

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #7 on: 06.10. 2018 18:42 »
Hi, good of you to join us.... Last time I was in Reeth was when I was doing a Round Britain Rally in 2006.

Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 06.10. 2018 19:27 »
What about Rebecca?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #9 on: 06.10. 2018 20:14 »
G'day Dean.
Ask that question in the frame section.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline a

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 09.10. 2018 06:00 »
Welcome Dean! We hope you enjoy the info and laughs here.

Online BigJim

• Resident Legend
  • Bristol. UK
« Reply #11 on: 09.10. 2018 08:25 »
Welcome and good luck with the meccano! Great advice and support on this top forum. Am also a struggler with mechanicals and computers. Look forward to hearing of progress on A10.
GB, my guess is kierrenrebecca handle is family reference as signing off as Dean.
 *welcome* *good3* *computer*
Jamie,  Supporter of Distinguished Gentleman's Ride

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 09.10. 2018 09:47 »
 Hiya keiro-  *welcome* ... I'm not interested in rebecca unless she's an integral part of the mechanical process (or unrelated and between 25&25  *bash*)...I'm no computer whizz either, but take pics on the dumbphone with a 'photoresizer' thingy, and plaster that on

*my first thinks is when I see your handle is kb- which used to be a beer down here that I became well acquainted with in the great beer strike of '78

also;
Hello I'm  new to both computers and BSAs so you'll have to bare with me ,..... so finding spares is a nightmare ...

aaaah -I wouldn't be 'baring' too much I'm sorry- you'll have to save that for rebecca....in so saying I'm probably the nightmare you don't need

re; 2>1 (siamese) they can sound good, but I prefer the stereo sound of 2>2 so I can tell how which side is running
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 09.10. 2018 11:04 »
I still need to know about Rebecca  *smile* *smile* *smile*
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #14 on: 09.10. 2018 11:27 »
In your dreams GB. Hope Mrs GB doesn't hear you sleep moan.
Cheers
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7