Author Topic: *SOLD* Disregard,,,,  (Read 935 times)

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
*SOLD* Disregard,,,,
« on: 17.08. 2018 09:08 »
Cleaning out storage, came across another head I had stashed away (Christmas in August!) 
Appears to be in good useable shape, but will need some attention. Currently bare with no valves, will check guides but they are there, (Will verify condition, but smart money would be install new)
Has a few chipped fins but not too bad.  Casting number is a #67-1549 So according to atlantic green/Dyno Dave this is either a Super rocket or Rocket Goldstar head.  I will verify valve sizes on the seats, (big valve head or standard head???)  Next to the casting number is a diamond and 2T2 and not seen that before.
On the side of the rockerbox boss there is often a code stamped which must translate into a date code perhaps
(Still have not heard a convincing version of what they mean)
This number is sharply stamped and says: 59B26JJ  (maybe a 1959?) 
I will post pictures shortly, 

**** SHIPPING  *problem*  *dunno* *problem* *dunno* :o*****
In the US shipping is very straight forward, I can do UPS or USPS and ship at cost, which should be not to be bad (under $20) and even less IF i can fit it in a flat rate box for USPS.

HOWEVER!!! Overseas shipping is VERY expensive.  I had some issues before with another head to the UK because I believed another shipping service sales rep who promised me discounted and affordable shipping.  This did not materialize, so depends on which country, but it can be expensive and your choices are
A) You select a shipping broker and I ship to them, and then its loaded in a container and on the way to you but very slow.  Prices tend to be okay  B) USPS International air mail.    You can get an idea here on this site.  (I am in Oregon, Postal code 97023 or sometimes use 97045)
See: https://postcalc.usps.com/
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Offline zurferjoe

• Moving Up
  • Trying to make my A10 faster
Re: Alloy BSA A10 head, $250 & Ship worldwide.
« Reply #1 on: 18.08. 2018 10:18 »
Hi there , still got the head ? If so please let me know , have a great weekend Harry 
The older you get , the faster you were !First picture of the BSA A10 alloy barrel !!

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 23.08. 2018 13:05 »
Sluggo,
  I've shipped several heads as well as cylinders. USPS is VERY rough handling packages. The only safe way I've found is to box with plenty of bubble wrap (or hard foam cut to fit), then place that box in a larger box with more padding between the two boxes. I was told by the postmaster that boxes come off a belt with a four foot drop! I had no success trying to collect on the insurance I paid for when fins got broken.

Offline Sluggo

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 23.08. 2018 20:55 »
There is a joke(s) that you must sell a lot online because: 

(I forget most of them, but on eBay community pages for sellers forum there was a long running list of these jokes)

But heres a few I do remember,  <You are driving down the street and see a box on the side of the road and stop and pick it up because its a perfect size for shipping, You are on a first name basis with at least 3 people at the local post office, as well as your UPS route driver, You share recipes with these same people.  And my own contribution was, when I ran my shop at our old farm, the UPS driver rerouted his daily route so he stopped during lunch time because sometimes my wife would feed him or give him samples,  Also when we moved, For years my wifes family had given me grief about long hair, After many years I cut it short, but no one noticed or said anything. The first person who did was our UPS Driver,, "Dude! Did you cut your hair?"  My wife almost fell over laughing so hard.

So, yes, You ARE correct.  USPS is bad, but in many cases I would say UPS is just as bad, They also hire a lot of seasonals and package sorting and loading/off loading at airport terminals is an entry level job, so stuff gets abused.  I use some creative solutions.   I have NOT been doing much sales online for the last 5 years, but I used to and now downsizing so will be a lot soon.  I have in storage many trash bags packed with styrofoam peanuts, and in my shed is a range of boxs, I buy tape by the case,  And my wife yells at me for how much tape I use.  (You can never be too sure or safe is my moto)

So, I would rather use a larger box and some extra weight than I would have a claim, especially for an overseas buyer.

I also have an unlimited supply of sheet styrofoam (used to be recyclable, but the one resource went away)
Air bags and bubble wrap, and Egg cartons, foam rubber sheets too.    Here is one solution I learned from another guy who sells car parts on eBay.  He cleans and washes plastic milk jugs, shampoo bottles, salad dressing etc etc. Lets say you are shipping a very heavy cast iron part.  As you say, A box in a box is a good idea, then you line the gaps with a clean and sealed plastic container with the lid on securly.  I researched this and found the burst strength is astronomical, yet the cushioning of a air filled plastic container is way higher than styrofoam.  I have used that method when I used to sell on ebay a lot, and some people got it, but I got a couple complaints of "Why are you shipping me your garbage?" However nothing got broken and so I made up a explanation and printed them off and included it in those packages along with the suggestion to take the empty plastic containers and put out in their recycling.   Nobody will take styrofoam peanuts except another shipper so the plastic containers is more enviro friendly.

( We have another recycling crisis as well on plastics, Apparently MOST of our regions plastic was sold to China, but for trade and other reasons they stopped buying it, now many places wont recycle it, However read an interesting article that the Netherlands uses plastics to make roads out of which seems a great solution)
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Offline Daithi

• Moving Up
« Reply #4 on: 17.09. 2018 19:42 »
Hi Sluggo,
If that head is still available i'm interested
Thanks, D

Offline Sluggo

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 17.09. 2018 23:49 »
It is, Had intended to list on ebay, but have been in & out of town so have not gotten around to it.  I sent quotes to another poster but perhaps ship costs to Europe are too high?
I will PM you ship costs.

(unless you have a commercial freight forwarder you use? This would save a ton of money. This slows things down, but for heavy items, or frequent shipping it can be a good resource.  US seller ships to US Freight forwarder.  FF service loads into commercial shipping containers IE: Gaylord box-4'ftx4'ftx4'ft container, or 20 or 40' shipping containers) Then sends surface freight via freighter to your country)