Author Topic: What have you done with your bike/s today?  (Read 161182 times)

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
Re: What have you done with your bike/s today?
« Reply #3555 on: 05.10. 2024 17:23 »
Took the A10 out for its first run. The paperwork it came with suggests it was last on the road in 2009.  Since I re-built the engine, fitted new brakes, re-wired it and generally fettled everything I was expecting a few teething troubles.  Did about 25 miles with no problems at all.  Not even a misfire which is amazing considering I upped the carb size and re-built the mag.
Engine pulls really strongly. A few drips from the chain case and sump plate.  Only real problem is gauges are useless.  The Chronometric speedo is at least 5 mph slow and takes so long to catch up it useless and the India copy re counter won't go above 2000 rpm (but it was £19 inc post so you get what you pay for).  Since it also has the wrong rotation tacho drive this is potentially a £5-600 fix on a £3000 bike so I'll wait until something comes along.
Main thing its a nice ride, handles well and feels up to some longer runs.  Well chuffed.
Slough 59 GF/SR

Offline Catz

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3556 on: 05.10. 2024 18:00 »
Nice one Limey.
Well i've been trying to get to the cause of the vibrations on my A10. So out for another quick blast and got the vibes in second and third gear up to 40mph then in fourth it clears up and good between 40 and 50mph, whereas before it was from 30 to 40. It's then crap from 50 to 60 but after that clears up again. It is an overall improvement.
Ran it today without the front mudguard and with the steering damper loosened as much as possible. I've also fitted brand new fork stanchions this week as well as new oil seals, seal holders and brand new progressive fork springs which are 11 inches long and experimenting with the volume of fork oil, started off at 100mil then slowly upped to 150 and now up to 175. Whether the bushes are in the oil is another matter but seems ok. I'm paranoid about getting another fork seal leakage but so far so good. Done away with the Eddie Dow damper rods which were doing eff all because the other mods had not been carried out by the old bloke i bought the bike off.
So i'm getting there, slowly.
Crewe, Cheshire, England 1960 A10

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3557 on: 05.10. 2024 18:57 »
Having done a lot of miles on A and B BSAs (same forks) they always leaked.  I look on it as evidence they have oil in *smile*.  The killer for these forks is water sitting in the seal holder then getting in the bottom of the forks and corroding the slider.  Its worth opening the drain screw every now and then to check and drain any water.  I don't know how the water gets in but it does *sad2*.
Slough 59 GF/SR

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3558 on: 05.10. 2024 20:26 »
  I don't know how the water gets in but it does *sad2*.
G'day Rob.
Riding in the rain or washing the bike water goes up over the seal holder and sits on the seal. I don't do either. Gets a wash once a year whether she needs it or not  *whistle*
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
« Reply #3559 on: 05.10. 2024 20:35 »
Curiously, on my GF, the left hand seal leaked frequently so I changed it frequently.  I then gave up and thought I'd just top the oil up every now and then.  Now, it has stopped leaking and the level stays the same.  Maybe the oil seal has 'worn in'???
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3560 on: 05.10. 2024 20:36 »
G'day Fellas.
New Michelin Pilot Active (not made anymore, the local shop had a NOS only 2 years old) on the front of the rHonda and ordered a Michelin Road Classic for the rear.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #3561 on: 06.10. 2024 06:38 »
BSAs are all in good running order so dragged out the Yamaha Diversion that has been siting for years and took the carbs off for an ultrasonic clean.
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3562 on: 11.10. 2024 15:27 »
Today I rode 35 miles to the nearest BSA dealers. Because there have been various teething issues with the new Gold Star BSA UK have extended the bikes guarantee to four years and all the bikes are invited/recalled for what they are calling a health check. The clutch main nut gets relocked, (mine came loose) the ECU gets a software update. The dipstick gets changed for a slightly longer one,(some owners were overfilling the tank it seems).The headlamp gets a gasket, (some lenses cracked). Oil change. There may be other stuff. All this is done free and a goody bag containing cleaning solution, a neck snood, some WD40 type stuff and wheel cleaning brush are handed to the owner.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
« Reply #3563 on: 11.10. 2024 15:32 »
Today I rode 35 miles to the nearest BSA dealers. Because there have been various teething issues with the new Gold Star BSA UK have extended the bikes guarantee to four years and all the bikes are invited/recalled for what they are calling a health check. The clutch main nut gets relocked, (mine came loose) the ECE gets a software update. The dipstick gets changed for a slightly longer one,(some owners were overfilling the tank it seems).The headlamp gets a gasket, (some lenses cracked). Oil change. There may be other stuff. All this is done free and a goody bag containing cleaning solution, a neck snood, some WD40 type stuff and wheel brush are handed to the owner.

Good to see traditional BSA values are being upheld GB *whistle* *wink2* *beer* *beer* :-:
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3564 on: 11.10. 2024 16:23 »
Its certainly a bit different to the service I recall at Sir Morams, Lewis Bros or Commerfords *smile*.
Slough 59 GF/SR