Author Topic: What have you done with your bike/s today?  (Read 156441 times)

Offline Colsbeeza

• Resident Legend
Re: What have you done with your bike/s today?
« Reply #3315 on: 15.05. 2024 10:52 »
Took the Flash for a short run today. Beautiful weather, sunny and cool. Second ride since New Year (at this rate it will take 50 years to wear it out). I checked all fluids and pleased to note that leakage losses have been minimal. 15 mls from the chaincase and 25 mls from the gearbox. And Oil return with air bubbles within the time it took to unscrew the oil tank cap, so next-to-none wetsumping. It started on the button smartly. Now ready for the DGR on Sunday 19th May. Also got the heads off the Lilac R92 for a cleanup and valve grind. It's been sitting for 21 years, so deserves a birthday. It is amazing how many small issues you find that you don't remember seeing 21 years ago. *conf2*
Col
1961 Golden Flash
Australia

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3316 on: 15.05. 2024 20:29 »
G'day BS.
Bike looks great considering the look of the weather. Been wet down here for a fortnight. Never been a fan of those fairings.

G'day Col.
Finally got some sunshine yesterday. Bugga working from dawn to dusk. Hope it holds out till weekend.

Finally got the ignition  module off the HD. Yep she's cooked.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3317 on: 15.05. 2024 22:45 »
Limey, did you fit a manual cam ring to the magneto or just cut a slot in the autp one?
You have to be very careful if you modify the auto ring.

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3318 on: 15.05. 2024 23:25 »
I got a manual end with its cam ring. Stupidly I bought a cable housing forgetting they come with the cable doh.  But I'm thinking the eccentric pin / stop my be set to optimse for an auto AR whereas for a manual it could be a little more advanced. Clutching at straws but why not?  I don't want the hassle of stripping the mag for a re-magnetizing but its not a huge deal.  I got a timing case with a hole so I can separate the mag gear with the case on.  New plugs on order - another straw *smile*.
I drilled and tapped the mag case to fit the slack wire manual housing and with the end cap it must have cost £60 to do the conversion, may have been better to wait for a whole mag to come along.
Slough 59 GF/SR

Offline Macbeth

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3319 on: 17.05. 2024 05:50 »
Scored a great little filter head today (2nd hand) for $50. Takes the same filter as my Honda

1960 Big Valve Super Rocket

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3320 on: 19.05. 2024 10:33 »
Scored a great little filter head today (2nd hand) for $50. Takes the same filter as my Honda
I'm sure someone else will check this thought but I believe you need to take care that there is not too much resistance to oil flow in modern filter heads. Modern oil pumps are likely to have much more oomph than our simple BSA pumps.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3321 on: 19.05. 2024 10:44 »
On Friday I rode my modern BSA 250 miles to my daughters house in Cornwall. Most of the route was on roads with 70mph limits. Sitting upright, 70+, (allowing for speedo inaccuracy) is about as fast as I wanted to go. The problem in Britain with the 70mph maximum speed is you have to keep pulling out to pass slow moving vehicles and then you are too slow for vehicles wanting to go at stupid mph. At 70+ I was regularly getting tailgated. Flippin scary, I can tell you. After passing a group of slow vehicles I pull back into the slow lane, continuing at 70+ until I have to pull out again. Then you find some twerp hogging the middle lane at 70,or less!

I got the train back to home. This trip was to save the cost of having the bike transported when we move house. The train cost almost £100 but it saved me about another £100.

Until we move house I am bike less 🤔
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
« Reply #3322 on: 19.05. 2024 10:44 »
I am going out on the Dubya for a good ride round Lincolnshire in the glorious sunshine  *smile* *smile* before fitting a new shower when it's cooler and raining  :! :!
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3323 on: 19.05. 2024 10:47 »
On Friday I rode my modern BSA 250 miles to my daughters house in Cornwall. Most of the route was on roads with 70mph limits. Sitting upright, 70+, (allowing for speedo inaccuracy) is about as fast as I wanted to go. The problem in Britain with the 70mph maximum speed is you have to keep pulling out to pass slow moving vehicles and then you are too slow for vehicles wanting to go at stupid mph. At 70+ I was regularly getting tailgated. Flippin scary, I can tell you. After passing a group of slow vehicles I pull back into the slow lane, continuing at 70+ until I have pull out again. Then you find some twerp hogging the middle lane at 70,or less!

Sounds like a good trip, but I wouldn't do it on main roads or motorways unless I really had too.  The beauty of bikes, the summer, and this country is how fantastic those smaller roads are.  Sure a 4 hour ride might turn into an all-dayer, even a two-dayer but, for me, this is what biking is all about.
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #3324 on: 19.05. 2024 11:07 »
G'day Fellas.
Today I took the HD for a test run around the block. It's only taken me 3 months to sort the problem! A new $600 Ultima programmable single fire ignition & coil got her going. She sounds different to the old duel fire and has a few more pony's.
http://www.ultimaproducts.com/programmableignition.html
Wonder If I could adapt one into the Cafe  *bash*
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Macbeth

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3325 on: 19.05. 2024 11:33 »
I'm sure someone else will check this thought but I believe you need to take care that there is not too much resistance to oil flow in modern filter heads. Modern oil pumps are likely to have much more oomph than our simple BSA pumps.

Few things left to check yet it’s a new pump & once I put the spin on filter on that mount & blow though it, it’s a very surprisingly low pressure to get valve to open & allow air flow

1960 Big Valve Super Rocket

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3326 on: 19.05. 2024 18:29 »
On Friday I rode my modern BSA 250 miles to my daughters house in Cornwall. Most of the route was on roads with 70mph limits.
Sounds like a good trip, but I wouldn't do it on main roads or motorways unless I really had too. 
Including lunch and fuel stops and the inevitable traffic delays, the trip took the best part of the day. If I'm out for pleasure I do not go on multi-lane roads. This was not a pleasure ride.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3327 on: 19.05. 2024 20:07 »
Took the Dubya for a 340 km trip and it went beautifully around Lincolnshire and the Peaks (not far from Bergs again, went through Clay Cross!!

Although the trip was faultless, and the bike was excellent, I noticed that as the bike got hotter, I could hear clinking noises from the right hand side of the engine.  I've done a search, but no joy really.  One suggestion was that it could be clutch chatter, or something rattling around the clutch basket, or clutch plates rattling for some reason.  I think I've had it before but not as loud (can hear it clearly through the helment).  Clutch operation is generally fine, very, very occasional brief slip, but this has only happened twice before.  Noise is worse at acceleration in gears 1-3 but not 4 and 5.  Could hear it if I was in gear with the clutch in and revving the motor.  When I stopped and revved it out of gear, couldn't hear anything.

I did think it could be pinking, but I've tried a mix of leaded and super unleaded with no change.  Bike was reshimmed a few thousand miles ago.  Sound does seem to be more clutch area than top end.

Any suggestions guys???
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #3328 on: 19.05. 2024 20:47 »
G'day Worty.
1st to 3rd gears are putting more load on the drive train as your accelerating a lot more in those gears.
Could here it if I was in gear with the clutch in and revving the motor.  When I stopped and revved it out of gear, couldn't here anything.
Tells me gear box or primary.
Ear plugs when riding solve so many problems  *whistle*.
Cheers
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #3329 on: 19.05. 2024 21:17 »
worty Clay Cross !!!!!!!!never speak to me again :-: *bash*  i've been in garage all day doing berglar build   *sad* *sad*