Author Topic: What have you done with your bike/s today?  (Read 156457 times)

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: What have you done with your bike/s today?
« Reply #2265 on: 18.07. 2022 11:38 »
I really like the smell of petrol
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #2266 on: 18.07. 2022 11:43 »
i USED to love the smell of petrol but not now it's got that horrible stuff in it *bash*

Online Roger (Doomtrainbarx)

• A's Good Friend
    • Soundclick
« Reply #2267 on: 18.07. 2022 13:58 »
I quite like the smell of petrol - if only I could afford to buy some !!
1962 Super Rocket
2003 Kawasaki Z1000
1987 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
1989 Harley FXRS (Turbo)

Offline Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2268 on: 18.07. 2022 14:16 »
"I prefer to work with oils."

- That's a bit gouache isn't it?

Offline Brandis

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2269 on: 18.07. 2022 17:59 »
Put it up on the prep table for disassembly.   Unlike you sweltering lads, I have air conditioning in my shop.
47 A7

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
« Reply #2270 on: 18.07. 2022 20:49 »
Put it up on the prep table for disassembly.   Unlike you sweltering lads, I have air conditioning in my shop.

Lucky!
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2271 on: 19.07. 2022 12:26 »
G'day Fellas.
The new pistons arrived yesterday, thanks to Greybeard for passing them on.
To night I did some measuring and weighing. They are a bit lower comp, 3mm shorter but only 1g heavier. The pins are 10g heavier  *eek*
I also chamfered the skirts. An old racing habit so the piston on the down stroke cuts through the oil on the bores and directs it to the little end and cools the crown.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Colsbeeza

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2272 on: 20.07. 2022 01:04 »
Muskrat,
Seems you are in business. The lower compression will better suit your age *fight*. Took me a second to realise you chamfered the inside of the skirts.
Col
1961 Golden Flash
Australia

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2273 on: 20.07. 2022 10:08 »
Took me a second to realise you chamfered the inside of the skirts.
Ah yes, I went back to Musky post. Now I get it 👍
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2274 on: 20.07. 2022 20:05 »
Bit of a curate's egg today.
Spent this morning helping my son make some parts for the firm he works for (they skipper multi=millionaire's boats but also own a fleet for corporate clients). This afternoon we rode my bikes. Sort of.
First of all we went out - he on my Firestorm (I no longer ride it as it's difficult for me to mount and I no longer feel safe on it) - and me on my GFV2. I'd just fitted the latter with a head steady so was keen to test that. The steady seems to smooth things, though it still doesn't much like pulling under 2,750rpm (40mph). Absolutely fine over 3,000 and goes like stink. But on reaching home, it stopped just as the front wheel crossed into my workshop. It has blown a fuse - again - did exactly the same thing last time I rode it in EXACTLY the same place. Still investigating.
The Firestorm - my son limped back on one cylinder, so will have to look into that. Starts / runs on both, but a touch of the throttle stalls it.

And so we went out again, he on my GF and I on my M21V2. Problems again - couldn't figure why he was waaay behind, but then again my M21 can shift. Got back to the w'shop and it transpired he was stuck in 2nd because the clutch release had failed. Transpires 1/4" had broken off the rod in the gearbox by the lever arm. Never had that before. Retrieved the offending part with help of a magnet but decided, whilst it was on the lift, to strip the clutch anyway as I was tired of it slipping ever since I put oil in the primary. Will try the cork plates Berger kindly provided me with. If that doesn't cure it, I'll be fitting a plunger oil-proof clutch in there.

So, a few jobs needing my attention .....
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
« Reply #2275 on: 20.07. 2022 20:31 »
Went out to shops to buy £120 worth of groceries, beer, wine, etc. *smile*  Once unloaded, went to garage to see if I could start on plugging some of the many oil leaks. *sad2*  First stop whas gearbox speedo drive - OK, WHAT *&^%^&* designed that. *clap* *clap* *angry* *angry*  Not only can one barely get a spanner on the locknut, but the whole of the threaded 'thingy' that goes into the gearbox just spins around. *problem* *problem*  So, after putting a new fibre washer on, I had to hold the threaded 'thingy' with locking pliers whilst trying to tighten the locking nut about a 10th of a turn at a time because there's no friggin room to turn the nut let alone get a spanner on it - is there another 'special tool' for this job or was that the geezer who designed it. *bash* *bash* *bash*  Once tightened, there's still a bit of a weep, but hopfully not so bad. :!

Next stop is oil tank feed and return, gearbox level screw and drain plug, and primary level and drain plug. *angry*  I also think I have a small leak past the gasket on the primary cover. *angry* *angry*  Oh, then there's a fork seal and sump gasket. *angry* *angry* *angry*  Then trying to stop the breather covering the rear tyre with oil. *angry* *angry* *angry* *angry*

Oh, and had to break off the bike work to order a new fridge freezer because, as I'd just filled the old one with food, it started to pack up - £399 *ex* *ex* *pull hair out* *pull hair out* *pull hair out* *pull hair out*
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2276 on: 20.07. 2022 21:29 »
o deary me the trials of life and old old old brit iron. i pulled betsy the beast out of the garage after at least 5 weeks [ been neglected because of going out on urma the yonda ] opened the oil tank filler to see the same level of oil *yeah* fired her up 2nd kick and set off to brothers with the inner timing cover for the berger build strapped to the seat. arrived at brothers after going the long way and having a lovely time with betsy showing off yet again! brother took 6 thou off the idler gear top hat on the millerer thingy machine because when the engineers cleaned up the crankcase face the idler was locking up. set off from brothers and thraped betsy for 10 miles and called in at my mate the welderers . after half an hour talking to him he asked me if i had any oil in the engine because there wasn't a drop on the ground. i left there and called in at an old mates on the street i was born on and HE said " is there any oil in that!"? i told him of course there is and she might leave her mark from the breather after me thrashing her again. i then went home and got a txt from old mate who heard me going down the main road on full chat in first and second gear, he said i am mad and will blow it  up. i txt back saying i built it don't be silly.  ;) betsy is so much fun and it's not far off friday PUB day thankyou for listening  *beer* *beer* *dribble* *dribble*

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2277 on: 20.07. 2022 21:31 »
Sniffed my finger and smiled.
Ah, those were the days! 😏
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2278 on: 20.07. 2022 21:37 »
yes born on a street and a hand full of cold gravel for breakfast *bash*

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2279 on: 20.07. 2022 21:42 »
You were born on a street?
Born on a street! You were lucky;  I was born on a piece of grit.

https://genius.com/Monty-python-four-yorkshiremen-live-lyrics
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK