Author Topic: What have you done with your bike/s today?  (Read 155352 times)

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
Re: What have you done with your bike/s today?
« Reply #3480 on: 26.08. 2024 18:47 »
i pulled erma yonda and betsy beezer out of the garage and chose betsy to go out on and have a blast about. when i got back i put betsy in the same garage as the berger build so they could have a chat about there honda kickstart levers, betsy's is roll pinned and the berger build has splines on the shaft thanks to MWAS, now having a black&tan as i do *beer*

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3481 on: 26.08. 2024 21:10 »
G'day Col.
Welcome home. We didn't really have much of a winter while you were away, haven't had a minus for two weeks.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #3482 on: 27.08. 2024 09:12 »
I finally got to do some work on the bike. checked oil gapped new plugs and fitted {thanks Andrew ) new fuel in and flooded carb and kicked bloody hell the compression is good !  after 5 mins and nothing I took the plugs out and no sign of petrol . tried enm for a spark and while they did spark it seemed abit hit and miss ,I then pulled  a plug connector of the maggy and found oil . it had been running down fom the rocker box , I pulled the bottom one of as well and cleaned the maggy pick up ring more than a bit shitty, just then with usual lack of care I saw a fibre washer drop off the pickup and can I find it no where to be seen !!!!! That curtailed things until saturday when I'll take the carb of again and clean it out hopefully that will see her going again watc`h this space `
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #3483 on: 27.08. 2024 20:27 »
G'day Fellas.
It's the A7's turn to take me to work the long way. It's been a month since she last came out so last night I did all the checks. Charged the battery and checked the oil tank. She hadn't wet sumped a drop, I love the SRM pump. Turned fuel on, a quick tickle of the carb, one prime kick, ignition on and she fired into life 1st kick. Warmed her up and put her back to bed. Ready for today's lap of the block before work (50Km).
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online mikeb

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3484 on: 28.08. 2024 05:53 »
Not quite today but last weekend finally got the B back on the road with refurbished gear box, so took it to a BSA outing. The box is the older round hole type (1949-ish) that was full of false neutrals and not shifting well. I’d replaced various bushes, both bearings, gearshift ratchet mechanism (thanks RR), both dogs, various missing flingers/spacers and spent a while setting it up right shimming the shafts for position and end float. It worked on the bench but first go it wouldn’t find 3rd or 4th. After adjusting the control rod it now finds all gears fairly smoothly, maybe hesitates a bit into first, but no false neutral and predictable changes.  I also put in new surflex clutch plates as the ones in there – only 6 month old – would stick together at the least provocation which is not good on those boxes.

So, not quite race changes but for these slow old boxes I’m very happy. Especially as it’s my first go at a box which at first looked like… a random bunch of gears in a box. Amazing what an old BSA can teach you.
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '21 Triumph Speed Triple RS

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #3485 on: 28.08. 2024 12:11 »
G'day Fellas.
The old girl performed faultlessly. I parked her out the side at work amongst the mowers for sale. About lunchtime the pay lady said I had to move her. A fella rang and asked how much$. He was very disappointed when she said it was a workers bike and not for sale. I said not for sale at ANY price.
Tomorrow is rHondas turn.
Friday is Yamies turn.
Cheers
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Billybream

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3486 on: 29.08. 2024 05:19 »
Could smell oil on my ride today, quick look and evidence around top of cylinder head, swipe away and returned home. Suspect copper oil feed banjo seal, but upon removing the copper feed pipe had fractured where it enters, lucky no damage, going to try alloy billet version and flexible hose. The original arrangement has lasted 60yrs so why change, just think it's another more practical improvement.
1960 Super Rocket, owned since 1966, back on the road 2012 after being laid up for 29yrs.

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
« Reply #3487 on: 29.08. 2024 07:32 »
I cut down a new feed pipe and put on a oil/fuel flexi pipe after mine fractured - worked great.
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #3488 on: 31.08. 2024 19:31 »
today betsy took me out over the hills and far away, we had a lovely time seeing lots of riders and a few were interested in betsy.  i only did about 60 miles so not too far away, i am now tired out and thinking, only thinking about changing the bars. out of hundreds of bikes parked up at matlock i only saw one old brit bike , a man on a B31 riding towards me. i am now falling into my black&tan , jobs a good en. *beer*

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #3489 on: 01.09. 2024 08:21 »
Back on page 217 of this thread I showed what I'd done to a crank and rod on one of mine after an oil line fractured. As Worty said 'BUGGA' Well, got the crank reground at T&L Engineering and got it home Friday morning. One grind on all three journals. (No question of 'just' doing the affected one - there was some scuffing on the others and there's no way one should just do one big end even if the other was perfect I was very firmly told (ref Q earlier in thread).
Wasn't as straightforward as I'd hoped though. The left hand Thunder rod had taken a hammering - woe - and was 4 thou out of round. So had to be rectified, which meant the other one had to be made to match. It turned out that that had also taken a hit, but much less of one - so 'well worth it' and supports my long-standing belief that rods need checking all ways to Sunday in the event of a serious bottom-end issue. The centre main bearing has thrust washers as per typical car design to locate the crank - and they had picked up bearing material that was embedded and had to be replaced. The oil ways in the crank were blocked with solidified molten muck. A minor weld to a lug that takes a stud to hold the chaincases was also seen to - result of a breaking rear chain some years back.

Not a freebie by a long chalk, but worth every single cent.

Interesting to learn that the difference in weight between the new shells and the old was up near 20 gr - but not sure what weight of steel was removed in the grind to compensate. But the side-to-side balance is the same or near enough, so didn't spend an extra wedge on having the thing balanced dynamically again. In any event, the pistons etc will be replaced at some point as they're on 25K miles, or about 'half-way' probably, so balancing again with what's there wouldn't have made sense even if I'd supplied the pistons, rings, pins and circlips over.

A long day in the shed yesterday got me to 'nearly back together' and hope to be running again in a day or two.
Bill

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
« Reply #3490 on: 01.09. 2024 10:04 »
It still stuns me how clever you guys are - I'm pretty stupid in comparison to your knowledge of engineering and rebuilding engines.  In another life, I may well have trained as an engineer, as I really like fixing, fabricating and problem solving, etc.  Hats off to you all! *respect* *respect*
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3491 on: 02.09. 2024 07:20 »

Wasn't as straightforward as I'd hoped though.

In other words, "Business as usual."

Richard L.

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #3492 on: 02.09. 2024 10:38 »

Wasn't as straightforward as I'd hoped though.

In other words, "Business as usual."

Richard L.

As you say Richard. But up and running again now, 2nd prod, so quite pleased with the weekend's efforts.
Bill

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #3493 on: 03.09. 2024 10:40 »
Was able to put 30 mins on the bike last Sunday as not fuel getting threw and suggested clean out of the pilot jet etc . So carb off and ready to do the jet I noticed something missing ,the needle ! searched high and low not a trace picked up the carb body of the bench and theres the bloody thing sitting in the needle jet ! Being 15 yrs or so since last done and being much more flexible then I didn't relish this job especially after a couple of tries resulted in the air turning a deep shade of blue in the garage (not gas  just bad language ) I gave up got washed and did a Berger we went the pub.
United Kingdom

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #3494 on: 03.09. 2024 13:12 »
Well yesterday got another  chance to sort this carb out. Not looking forward to fiddling withat bloody spring crouched down  I decided to take the twist grip  and choke control off cut the ties and take the whole sihbang into the hse . A cuppa was made and I laid everything down on the table (suitably covered  but still with Sues scream ringing in my ears to the effect that a scratch would result in a new table cost to me )  anyway removed the cable from the twistgrip slacked all adjusters and found it quite easy to fir the cable in the airslide after dropping in the needle and clip put the twistgrip together readjusted every thing and all done .I had to pinch myself .Ihad been dreading the job as it was 15 yrs at least since last time .Well no scratches and ready to replace on the bike job for tomorrow and hopefully another step closer to hearing her run and then taking her out .   
United Kingdom