Author Topic: What have you done with your bike/s today?  (Read 155360 times)

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: What have you done with your bike/s today?
« Reply #3465 on: 31.07. 2024 21:23 »
G'day Fellas.
Today I'll prep the old girl for a ride with the Tourers (mostly HD's from Campbelltown) on the w/end to Rylstone. I'll meet them at Oberon for lunch. About 400 Km, the longest ride since rebuild so she'll get a full service today after a run around the block (50 Km).
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Kickaha

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3466 on: 01.08. 2024 06:50 »
Rode through part of that when I didn't come to visit, stayed in Portland and took a more direct line to Sofala and onto Hillend, you've got some nice riding country close by
1956 BSA Gold Flash
New Zealand

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #3467 on: 01.08. 2024 11:31 »
G'day Kickaha.
Pitty you didn't call in. I could have shown you the best back roads.
All good with the service today. Greased all the nipples, did the tyre pressures, tightened the chain, tweaked the steering head, then warmed her up with a ride. Sucked all the oil out of the tank (I use a sucker to get any sediment https://sydneytools.com.au/product/daytona-dfe65-65l-manual-fluid-extractor) and no mess! Dropped the sump (no particles) and filter. Took the plugs out and kicked 50 times to get the last of the old oil out then installed the new filter. Add 1/2 tank of oil and a short ride through town. Back home I mixed a cup of oil with 100ml of PRO-MA MBL8 ( https://proma.global/products/mbl8-concentrated-oil-additive-250ml-9ddc) added to and topped up the tank. Another ride through town and back to the shed. I had to back off the idle by 1/2 turn!!! It's won me.
Still hot dropped the g/box oil and changed to Penrite 20/60 with a bit more MBL8. Changed the primary oil (no MBL8) and checked the chain. OK.
Tomorrow I'll flog her around the block. If all good I'll show them HD's up on the w/end!
Cheers
ps: while dropping the oil I heard a BANG on my corner. Two cars collided big time. Used my medic title to help the two girls (one is an epileptic ,taken to hospital). Looking at the damage lucky not more serious. 
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
« Reply #3468 on: 01.08. 2024 13:43 »
Medic title???
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3469 on: 01.08. 2024 14:04 »
... while dropping the oil I heard a BANG on my corner. Two cars collided big time. Used my medic title to help the two girls (one is an epileptic ,taken to hospital). Looking at the damage lucky not more serious.
Are you able to tell us who was at fault? I see one car has a red P. Does that signify provisional driver? Damage on modern cars always looks bad because they are built to absorb shock. It was not very long ago that cars had a solid steering column going from the front axle to within a few inches of the drivers chest.😬
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3470 on: 01.08. 2024 14:08 »
Medic title???
Musky is a Gynacogist. Like pizza delivery boys, he can smell it but no licking😝
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #3471 on: 01.08. 2024 21:46 »
G'day Fellas.
The blue car at fault but the grey car should have seen it coming. My street has a very wide median strip which makes it look like two streets. The blue car was crossing from the side street (past my side gate) through a give way sign. The grey car was traveling down on the far side of my street and T boned the blue car.
I'm the bike clubs medic (Senior First Aid Cert).
 The bike felt so good I'll take her for another ride (read pub crawl) today.
Cheers
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3472 on: 06.08. 2024 22:08 »
Nice day, 196 miles on the GF today, all around my favourite Yorkshire haunts.  Bike never missed a beat, and I didn't miss a gearchange this time (sometimes get confused with the Kwaka and end up with the wrong gear).  I did tweak the clutch nuts up one and a half turns as I just felt it needed it.  Gearchange has improved as a result (maybe accidentally improved the run out a little).  Also, the new rear Kenda is excellent.  Even new it grips beautifully round the tightest bends.  Just something 'better' about the beastie today - crackling and roaring, pulling like a dream, even got it to around 70mph (maybe because the new tyre makes it a bit taller). Only thing I broke was the zip on my bike jeans and a bit of the tank wadding popped out.

As for the Kwaka, waiting for the 'new' rear mudguard to fit.  Also discovered the rear number plate was cracked, so making a mounting for it out of an old metal pizza tray.  Word to the wise, if you're going to use 40 year old cellulose enamel, don't expect great results.  Had to strip it all back using brake cleaner and a lot of scrubbing - new spray enamel next time.  Exhausts have now been sealed - the Dunstall replicas sound almost as loud as the GF. 

Lots of fun today guys!
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #3473 on: 07.08. 2024 11:01 »
Worty sweet  music to my ears, i panic every time the GF is mentioned, glad it's doing what it should do and didn't end up in the scrap. *beer*

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3474 on: 07.08. 2024 11:15 »
Worty sweet  music to my ears, i panic every time the GF is mentioned, glad it's doing what it should do and didn't end up in the scrap. *beer*

TBH Bergs, I reckon you should just not worry any more.  I've done the best part of 2000m since the rebuild, so it's way past its 'warranty' (read 'Berger worry time') period  *whistle* *grins* *wink2*  I accepted that there were no guarantees mate, and I've still got a sweet, working motor after 2000 miles of 'Worty riding' - that's enough to test any bike *eek* *eek* 

Incidentally, someone else recently mentioned the Gandini rings you put on mine - seems he's happy with them too.  Funny thing about my motor is, although the crank was on its own bouncy castle, it's never, ever smoked????? *dunno* *dunno* *dunno*

Still need to come down for a quick visit sometime, and maybe to show MWAS that whatever you and he did with the motor, it's worked (provided that I keep remembering to turn the oil tap on, eh) *eek* *eek* *eek*
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #3475 on: 12.08. 2024 08:52 »
Carb back on after cleaning , plugs cleaned and there bare sparks from both sump plug back in but yet to be tightened . Sadly other jobs stopped me trying to start her but tomorrow may be the day ,
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3476 on: 12.08. 2024 09:36 »
Bit of a mega ride yesterday across the Forest of Bowland (WOW).  Roads were a bit lumpy and bumpy, and had a hairy moment when I hit a dip at speed and was very briefly airborne *eek* *eek* *eek*  Superb day and surroundings, plenty of bikes out.  Got as far west as Morecambe Bay - 218m - knackered today!!

Only possible niggle was an unannounced fixed speed camera in an unfamiliar area.  It was facing toward me on approach, so no way of identifying me (roughly 35-36 in a 30) *eek*  This led me to think about whether they were 'constantly filming' cameras, where they don't flash (like Gatsos), but more like the Truvelos which are on day and night.  If that's the case, and the cameras are close together, I wondered if they could catch a bike forward facing then identify it with a rear facing??  Before I got to the rear facing, I was being a good boy *whistle* *whistle* *roll*  Anyhow, not entirely concerned, 42 years of 'interpreting' road rules has only got me one ticket (and never for 'exceeding the posted limit').  Speeding suggests the speed is unsafe for the road conditions rather than going over an arbitrarily decided limit which has vitually no bearing on actual safety. *rant*  Don't think it'll come to anything as I'm not even sure such a marginal transgression would register on the automated units (ambush cameras have a slightly different enforcement criteria, so I understand).  I may have even slowed enough before getting picked up?? 

Anyhow, even if the worst happens, one just puts it down to the cost of motoring (a sort of stealth tax in my opinion).  Just don't like authority (especially when they've got their hands in my pockets).

Ride safe whilst the weather's good - winter is approaching.
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #3477 on: 12.08. 2024 11:43 »
G'day Fellas.
Went down to Canberra and back on Sat to pick up my "Best Man's" HD for it's 60,000 mile service and stator & reg replacement. Took all day Sunday to do the stator & reg. The whole primary, tank, seat and side cover has to come off. Took an hour to get through the birds nest for the reg wire!!! Rang him to say start saving pennies as the next service will need rear belt ($500) and disc & pads ($300) and about 2 days work.
Gee I love my BSA's.
Cheers
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3478 on: 22.08. 2024 11:35 »
Something worthy (or Worty) of note, I reckon.  I've now finished the modded Dunstall silencers for the Kwaka, but couldn't find a decent paint to use over the poor chrome.  I abraded it enough for a key, but my first attempt with old, brush on enamel was not good.  I bought some stove paint, but it was too dull, picked up fingerprints, and dissolved when I got petrol on it (before it was cured).  In one final attempt, I tried some Granville Satin Black Cylinder Paint which is brushed on.  Results - superb.  It brushed on without brush marks forming a lovely smooth finish.  After a 200m blast, it still looks like I've just painted it, and wipes clean easily with a dry cloth.  So, tried touching up the cylinders which had taken a battering with the elements over the years.  More satin than the original, but a lovely finish.  Again, the 200m blast yielded no flaking, even with the cylinders being unprepared (cures fully with heat).

This product looks genuinely good, and I really don't say that often.  If you've got a crappy exhaust chrome, or are touching up black exhausts, engine casings or cylinders, I'd recommend giving this stuff a go.  It's self priming and only one coat is recommended to avoid too thick a coat which could crack under heat.  The beauty of this  is that if you do scratch the paint by bailing it into a tree, it can be readily touched up.  I got 250ml which is enough for the Titanic's funnels, so 100ml would suffice for a bike a couple or three times over.

Oh, and it looks like I didn't get nicked by the camera (see above) *woo* *woo*
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250

Offline Colsbeeza

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3479 on: 26.08. 2024 05:08 »
Ran a hand over the Beeza and checked the battery charger. Been away to Western Australia for past two months, got home yesterday - seen many motorcycle museums etc. (Does that count??)
Col
1961 Golden Flash
Australia