Author Topic: What have you done with your bike/s today?  (Read 155337 times)

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
Re: What have you done with your bike/s today?
« Reply #3420 on: 15.07. 2024 13:24 »
I'm in the market for heated gloves, the only bit that froze were my fingers.
Cheers

My expensive heated gloves burnt a 2" hole in the back of my right hand the other day. Surprising how much power there is in a small lithium battery dead-shorted through the on/off low/med/hi switch. Very painful, and very fast acting. It can't have taken me more than half a minute to stop and rip the darn thing off, but the burn was well-advanced. So, so much for very expensive battery-powered ones, not going there again.
Therefore, back to my universal fail-safe dry & warmish system  . . . which is easier than fitting muffs to different bikes with different cables and 'bars etc  . . .A big laccy band can help if wind lifts the flap to expose the back of the fingers  . . .
My mates laugh . . . but I  *smile* *smile* can operate a clutch and brake while they're frost-bitten practically on wet winter days.
Bill

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3421 on: 15.07. 2024 14:58 »
What I did with my bike today was wheel it out of the garage at our new place so I could make a start on painting the walls and floor. This is important because we need to empty the storage unit we've been renting for all my garage equipment. Once the garage has all my stuff in it I will not be able to do the painting.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline CheeserBeezer

• Valued Contributor
    • Priory Magnetos Ltd
« Reply #3422 on: 15.07. 2024 16:26 »
Gave it a good wash. We went to a Grasstrack meeting yesterday and my bike looked like it had been taking part!

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3423 on: 15.07. 2024 17:21 »
Groily - I like that solution, if there were a forum prize for "Red-neck Engineering" you'd be a strong contender.
Re lithium - I recently had one explode while on charge, left it on a  "smart" charger but went to to make a cuppa. SWMBO said "there's a lot of smoke in your shed!!"  Hell there was, and a fire.  Went up in seconds.
Slough 59 GF/SR

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3424 on: 15.07. 2024 21:13 »
G'day Fellas.
re-heated gloves. I've done a little research and a riding buddy has endorsed my choice. He's been using https://www.zarkie.com.au/product/alt-battery-heated-gloves/?v=3a1ed7090bfa for 5 years and loves them. They won't be hard wired to the bike/s but I'll wire in a usb to charge them while I stop for a beer or three.
I must be getting soft in my older age!
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3425 on: 16.07. 2024 01:05 »
Lithium batteries can be deadly. Ive seen a small one shorted out, and it was unstoppable.

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #3426 on: 16.07. 2024 07:07 »
Good luck Musky - they look pretty decent. Mine are RST 'Paragon' (and are still quite decent gloves when not switched on!)
https://www.rst-moto.com/men/gloves?page=1 (and £200 GBP)
Had them about 4 years, mostly not 'on'. 200 battery charge/discharge cycle life they say - probably used 'on' fewer than 50 times. Failure in switch or adjacent wiring on back of hand rather than battery itself  . . .
Was impressed initially, but less so now! Suppose I ought to send them back with a whinge letter, but probably farting against thunder given their age.
Bill

Offline Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #3427 on: 16.07. 2024 07:11 »
Got it pretty much sussed for winter. Fit the badger nose screen which is remarkably effective and that, together with the heated handlebar grips keeps me snug and cosy. The dynamo is 12 volt and the lights are LED so plenty of wiggly amps to keep my fingers warm.
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3428 on: 16.07. 2024 07:43 »
when I used to commute in all weathers I fitted a Badger nose, someone was chucking it out. I had always laughed at them but my hands were getting so cold I thought "why not?".  As you say, they really work.
Slough 59 GF/SR

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3429 on: 19.07. 2024 17:41 »
Wheel alignment, quite pleased with how it went.  Used an ally 8ft straight edge propped up to touch the tyres and a couple of clamps to hold it to the rear tyre.  Slight correction for tyre width difference and done.
Slough 59 GF/SR

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3430 on: 19.07. 2024 20:44 »
G'day Rob.
Something that should be done every time we adjust our chains.
I use string lines usually but can do a quick check by eye.
There was a thread years back about using lasers https://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=8025.msg56428#msg56428 and https://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=1636.msg31422#msg31422
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3431 on: 20.07. 2024 12:37 »
Yes, and I now always do up the wheel spindle then tighten the adjusters up to the spindle one last bit so there's a bit of pre-load against the chain.  Not an issue on the drive side but I have had spindles pull forward on the drive side when the adjuster is not quite tight.
Slough 59 GF/SR

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
« Reply #3432 on: 20.07. 2024 13:22 »
Yes, and I now always do up the wheel spindle then tighten the adjusters up to the spindle one last bit so there's a bit of pre-load against the chain.  Not an issue on the drive side but I have had spindles pull forward on the drive side when the adjuster is not quite tight.

Issues on 'timing side'??  I do the same!
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3433 on: 22.07. 2024 13:17 »
Well, not today, but this weekend. Finished top-end inspection reassembly after a partial seize-up on the highway. Nothing serious, thank goodness. Got back from three-mile test ride early Saturday evening and discovered my right leg covered in oil and my oil cap missing. Living in a suburban neighborhood, all the streets are curbed. Suggested to my wife that we take a Sunday morning walk with the casual intension to find the cap. We both decided this would be a nice way to start-off our 40th anniversary (also yesterday). Anyway, after tracking gutters on the righr-hand side of the street for about a mile, there it was, peacefully lying in the gutter. We both had a sense of accomplishment and amazement that this was a success. Also, it was a kind and inexpensive reminder to check oil flow after every startup, or, at least, the first startup of every day.

One more thing about this, not so straightforward if you drive on the left side of the street.

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
« Reply #3434 on: 22.07. 2024 13:50 »
Congratulations on your 40th anniversary (and finding the cap!!).  Got mine coming up soon (a bit behind at 26).  Thought it'd be game over a few years back when Sue had her 'midlife', but I must have convinced her that it was worth staying *eek* *eek* *????* *????* 

If anyone can explain women to me, and how to reach 40 years of married life, I'm all ears *pull hair out* *pull hair out* *countdown* *countdown* *shh*

On the bikes, plenty of miles on the Kwaka recently (about 500), Beeza will be out soon enjoying a day without rain *ex*  Finished fabricating my Kwaka exhaust, just need to test fit and paint matt black.  It's not perfect, but neither me nor the bike is either.

New rear tyres for both bikes to be fitted soon.  GF's AM26 did about 6000m, the Kwaka Battlax, about 7-8000m-ish.
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250