Author Topic: What have you done with your bike/s today?  (Read 155354 times)

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
Re: What have you done with your bike/s today?
« Reply #3360 on: 19.06. 2024 20:39 »
If i think its one to stay (ie I'm hopelessly optimistic) I use Hylomar on both surfaces.  If I think it may have to come apart I use Hylomar on one side and oil on the other, if I think it'll be off next week again i use oil on both sides, well that's the plan anyway.  what ever happened to red Hermetite running down the cases *smile*
Slough 59 GF/SR

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #3361 on: 19.06. 2024 21:15 »
rob red herm was brill back int day i had a big tin out of the stores and used it a lot but when i wanted it again after about 10 years it had gone solid, green herm for steam joints was very good but still went hard after a number of years, what gets me fed up is hylomar that lasts for one year and super glue that lasts for i hour , years ago hylomar would last as long as hermy and super glue at least a month *bash*

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
« Reply #3362 on: 19.06. 2024 21:26 »
Cheers lads - light grease I  reckon.  Gasket is new, faces are smooth and clean, don't reckon Kawasaki greased the gaskets from new but the old one stuck to the faces quite badly.  TBH, it's only weeping a tiny bit of oil but, I do want one of the bikes to be free from leaks *eek* *eek*
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250

Offline Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3363 on: 20.06. 2024 00:51 »
Grease smeared on thinly.

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3364 on: 20.06. 2024 16:14 »
One other thing gents, I bought a pair of Dunstall type silencers for the Kwaka from Evilbay for £38 inc postage which were listed as hardly used.  Well, they may have been 'hardly used' but the chromium plating on one has peeled and is not particularly good.  The other is quite a lot better (neither have dents in them) - apparently they're £200 for the pair brand new.

The megas which came with the bike are a bit bashed and dented, again with rust on the sides facing the wheel, so thinking of replacing them. 

Question is what is the most economical way of smartening up the 'new' items.  Thinking of paint, nickel plating, galvanising, etc, etc, but chrome will be too pricey I reckon.

As always, your input is always welcome.
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3365 on: 20.06. 2024 17:37 »
I have this problem with my A10, its been stored in a damp shed.  Its very frustrating. Some of the chrome has cleaned up with wire wool, I've also wiped it with rust treatment to slow down the rust under the chrome.  On the bad parts I used a wire brush to remove the lifted edges and clean the steel then wire wool then wiped it with oil to protect the bare metal while i come up with a better idea.  A couple of areas I've painted silver, its OK for now.
There's no point re-chroming as too much metal has to be removed to get a decent surface so it's run as it is or replace.
Slough 59 GF/SR

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3366 on: 20.06. 2024 17:42 »
   Good old Stove Enamel would be a good choice, but sadly this process has gone from a common industrial finish, more often "enamellers" are now Powder Coaters. Silver Powder Coating works well on sports car wire wheels, but of course exhaust pipes get hot, silencers not so much. Whether the coating could stand the ferocious furnace temperatures the way you ride..... Back then Silver Hammerite kept the rust at bay, and looked good from afar, far from good close up. Stove and Barbecue paint, high temperature but restricted to black. Silver Exhaust Paint looks a cheap and cheerful fix. Galvanising prevents rust, but I doubt the finish and internals would be to your liking after a bath in molten zinc. Any Chromer of repute would load the price to scare you away rather than put your unknown bits in any of the baths.

I'd give them a dose of WD after each ride to keep the rust at bay and look for something better.....then sell them to another like minded enthusiast. Any professional finishing will cost more than they are worth, unless it can be done by the informal arrangements common in most industrial settings. Bergs will know what I mean, a fine example to us all. 

Swarfy.

Additional.  Hylomar used Cellulose Thinners as a solvent, so old castings can be cleaned off if you have some to hand. "Belco from Halfords" No chance these days. Red Hermetite used alcohol as solvent, good old fashioned meths back in the day was the cleaner up of choice. Don't see it now.

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3367 on: 20.06. 2024 18:24 »
'Furnace temperatures the way you ride', I don't know what you mean *whistle* *whistle* *whistle*

Meths is harder to get hold of I reckon - bulk bought some a while back but running short again now (also more expensive than it should be).

As for the exhausts, maybe I'll just run as is and clean them up.  Trouble is, quite a lot of the chrome is bubbling (wish I'd seen that clearer on the pictures).  The 'hardly used' description may be right, but that'd mean sitting in a damp shed for a couple of years rather than getting toasty.

Only other thing is paint, some people have had good results sanding the whole lot down to a dull finish and spraying furnace paint onto them - black being the colour of no choice.

Still, better than paying £200 for something I don't like or is too noisy, or going for a Far Eastern product that's made of tin foil (actually, I think the existing megas are cheapos as even the side stand has dented them).
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3368 on: 20.06. 2024 18:58 »
You could try aluminium high temp paint. Its cheap enough but you probably need to re-coat it every few months.
Slough 59 GF/SR

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #3369 on: 20.06. 2024 19:29 »
wrap them in ally foil but before you set off put the bacon in . *sarcastic* *grins*

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3370 on: 22.06. 2024 18:56 »
At Motoblot, Chicago, IL, right now. Red A10 siiting in front of a diesel Royal Enfield.

Richard L.

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3371 on: 22.06. 2024 19:33 »
At Motoblot, Chicago, IL, right now. Red A10 siiting in front of a diesel Royal Enfield.

Richard L.

Diesel *????* *????*
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3372 on: 23.06. 2024 00:31 »
G'day Fellas.
Yesterday I took the HD for a shakedown ride after manifold & ignition work to the Casper Rally at Abercrombie. 5C when I left home but got below 0C over Shooters hill. Bike performed faultlessly.
A BSA I saw at last years Winter Rally was there. 1950 A10 with big fin barrels and lots of patina. I have a question for him in the frame section. I suggested for Dave to join the Forum. Hope to see him again in two weeks at this years Winter Rally.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3373 on: 23.06. 2024 16:49 »

Richard L.

A big surprise to me at Motoblot, yesterday, because I didn’t know they had the category of “Best Restoration.”  I hope it was deserved, considering so many other great bikes. Nevertheless, nice to be appreciated.

Richar L.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3374 on: 23.06. 2024 17:06 »
On the 39-mile ride home from Motoblot, the “Best Restoration” had a sudden power drop at a very awkward spot on the interstate. Kept running after pulling to the shoulder. Regular power soon returned. Partial seizure might be assumed, but my pistons are about as loose in the bores as only a marginally reasonable amateur mechanic would trust. After a bit down the road, I noticed battery charging had ceased. Now, my assumption was that the dynamo belt had broken and jammed between the large pulley and the cover, resulting in engine braking. Opened the cover when I got home to find an intact, but very loose, belt. Still scratching head.

Richard L.