Author Topic: What have you done with your bike/s today?  (Read 155327 times)

Offline Macbeth

• A's Good Friend
Re: What have you done with your bike/s today?
« Reply #3270 on: 08.05. 2024 00:22 »
Got my last 2 parts invoices for my engine. $550aud for a crank grind & $600 for the rods😳 

1960 Big Valve Super Rocket

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #3271 on: 08.05. 2024 06:32 »
Am I right in thinking Mr G's motor is the one with a plain shell bearing in the centre of the crank, and has in effect a split flywheel?
The other journals have survived, so I hope the cause  is found in the crank, otherwise I reckon a new oil pump can be added to the bill.

I'm sure there was an urban myth about Japanese Engines having different size shells, all journals being ground to a finished size which removed the least amount of material.
 Swarfy.
That's broadly right, yup. Narrower than the b/ends but (almost) same diameter. Original cranks had round 'flywheeels'. This one was designed by Markus Graef who was a regular poster here (MG), and made by Zanardi in Italy in a batch of 100 (thanks to funding from the Owners' Club) in 2 versions, dynamo and alternator, and has wedge-shaped. The one here was the first prototype, which I was asked to fit and run with before the production run was made available to those who had pre-ordered. A few new ones are still available. The cast iron recipe is the same as was used on TVR car engine cranks, from memory. They are VERY hard, tooling-killers when it comes to grinding and removing metal for balancing, which created a lot of hassle and delay when machining up the blanks. The first engineering company engaged to do the finishing work (in Austria) simply couldn't do it, so we had to move to a Plan B. A not untypical tale of limited production run engineering - but worth it in the end because the result is a top draw item which filled a critical gap in the Unobtainium range. (I remember talking about a similar project for large journal A cranks - but we didn't have the money so it was just a pipedream really.)

The oil arrives from the feed side filter chamber to the middle, then splits for the ends. Had the motor run a few more seconds, the other b/end would have gone, followed probably by the main, which obvs has a much lighter load. Reason was a split oil feed pipe from the tank - ouch. Oil pumps - there are two gear jobs driven off the camshafts - are undamaged. Which is as well, as they're one of the 'hard' parts although luckily I have a few spare pairs.
Interesting about the urban myth on japanese cranks - I'll discuss with T&L Engineering to see what the options are. Obviously the less metal off the better - but these can go down to -60 no problem and Markus designed the angled oil passages from main bearing to the ends a tad deeper than on the originals to provide an extra safety margin after regrinds. In the old days, folk went down to -80 if BMC A series b/end shells were used and a suitable notch cut into the rods (because the locating tabs aren't on the same sides) but I always thought that was stretching things a bit!

(End float is dealt with by car-type thrust washers adjacent the centre main, available after a l o n g interval in two thicknesses, which allow the use of chunky rollers which last a lifetime both sides.)
Bill

Offline jhg1958

• Valued Contributor
  • The more I learn I realise how little I know
« Reply #3272 on: 08.05. 2024 08:49 »

[/quote]

Did she just cross an open paddock ?
Sincerely hope recovery goes well mate
[/quote]
 Thanks for your best wishes. My wife walking on a public right of way with a dog on lead.  I would warn anyone walking with a dog where cattle and calves are grazing to plan an escape route, wall, fence or gate before entering the field.

My wife is home now. Sleeping mainly. 

The hospital wa fantastic but when I called an ambulance I was told to wait for 2 to 3 hours. Bloody awful for someone with a head injury falling in and out of consciousness.

Life goes on, for a while anyway

John
1961 Golden Flash S/Arm

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3273 on: 08.05. 2024 09:28 »
Cows kill 4 to 5 people per year on average, they are a herd animal and retain their strong instinct to protect their young.  Cows are a serious enough risk that the HSE provide guidance on how to investigate cattle related deaths.  I was at one time an HSE Inspector (for oil rigs) and would chat with colleagues in other sectors. The Agricultural Inspectors took the risk of cows very seriously, along with unguarded PTOs and children, but that's another story.
Your wife did well to survive, my best wishes for her recovery.  Many years ago I crashed a bike in the middle of nowhere and had a 4 hour wait with a broken leg.  It stayed with me and I now always think - how would I get help here?
Slough 59 GF/SR

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3274 on: 08.05. 2024 10:00 »
Sadly nothing for a few days since my better half was attacked by a herd of cows and calf’s. She is out of hospital but a bleed on the brain and broken collarbone will mean I will be busy running around for the next month or so.

Johm
Jeez mate, that's horrible. I hope your wife fully recovers. My wife and I often walk with our dog in the countryside. Wifey is very nervous of cows and horses in fields. I understand that if cattle are getting excited around walkers with a dog on a lead it is best to let the dog loose.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3275 on: 08.05. 2024 23:00 »
Mac, $550.00 for a crank grind? I think that they saw you coming.

Offline Macbeth

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3276 on: 09.05. 2024 05:31 »
Mac, $550.00 for a crank grind? I think that they saw you coming.
Not a lot I can do mate. It was the only shop that would do the rebuild. We have long lost the real bike shops here. If you want a $1400 helmet with 2024 race colours or 400 bits of stick on fake carbon fibre... you will be fine

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #3277 on: 09.05. 2024 07:15 »
My wife walking on a public right of way with a dog on lead.  I would warn anyone walking with a dog where cattle and calves are grazing to plan an escape route, wall, fence or gate before entering the field.

John

That's a very terrible thing to happen John and I join everyone else in hoping the memsahib recovers quickly.

Dogs  . . . we have always had at least one, and hereabouts every other field and accessible public area has cows on it for about 8 months of the year.  They can be very frisky when they are put out to grass after a winter under cover.
I never have the dogs on leads if cows are present, and I try to skirt them by a good couple of hundred yards and have an escape route in mind. I've had to vault a hedge or fence before now to stay safe when they've looked like stirring. Dairy animals are perhaps a bit less inclined to get excited - unless with calves - but some of the beef animals whose human contact is more limited, Charolais very especially, are to be avoided always.

Two of my friends / neighbours who are farmers have been badly injured in recent years. Both by their own animals, which were just individual beasts from their bog-standard milking herds. In one case, it was weeks in hospital owing to major intestinal injuries caused by a horn. The other person  had to retire early owing to shoulder and back damage. In the latter case the animal wasn't really being belligerent, but they are so large and strong that any contact can be very painful.

In lighter vein, I remember about 60 years ago a friend of my Dad had his car destroyed by a bull that leapt over a fence alongside one of those sunken Devon lanes and landed on the bonnet  . . . he was lucky it was the bonnet! The bull lived  . . . the car died.
Bill

Offline Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3278 on: 09.05. 2024 07:22 »
Bluddy'ell, and people think motorbikes are dangerous!

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
« Reply #3279 on: 09.05. 2024 08:40 »
Bluddy'ell, and people think motorbikes are dangerous!

Too right!  But I'd rather have been in a car than on a bike when that bull did its leaping *eek* *eek* *pull hair out* *pull hair out* *sick* *countdown* *sick*
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250

Offline Macbeth

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3280 on: 09.05. 2024 10:04 »
My wife walking on a public right of way with a dog on lead.  I would warn anyone walking with a dog where cattle and calves are grazing to plan an escape route, wall, fence or gate before entering the field.

John

Two of my friends / neighbours who are farmers have been badly injured in recent years. Both by their own animals, which were just individual beasts from their bog-standard milking herds.
We had 4 bulls. I had a bit over a 1 mile walk from the farm house to the where the school bus stopped. I walked 1 foot off the fence the whole way..never on the road. Spent more time looking for the bulls or the stallion than for snakes.

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3281 on: 09.05. 2024 11:30 »
Yesterday evening I took my new BSA on a modern bike ride-out. A group of ten bikes, all modern, mostly pointy plastic crotch rockets and one modern Bonneville. I really felt that I'd made a mistake joining them but my bike, with probably half the power of the other super whizz-bangs kept up very well. Since I'm 74 and wiser than I was at 20 my leans were not as radical as the younger/more crazy riders so I took bends more carefully. After the ride, I got told I'd done really well.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
« Reply #3282 on: 09.05. 2024 12:15 »
'Pointy, plastic, crotch rockets' -  *loveit* *loveit*  Just trying to remember Berg's description which made me smile.  I do recall someone referring to a 'Moriwaki Woomera' (back in the eighties, I think).  Personally, I don't do fairings/screens these days.  I did have a full body screen and handlebar mitts in the despatch riding days (XS750), but full fairings are for tracks IMO.  Always found the mitts pushed the brake and clutch on at speed, so attached dirt bike lever protectors on first (rigid) and slid the mitts over the top *bright idea* - worked a treat and my fingers survived the frostbite. *smile*
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3283 on: 09.05. 2024 13:23 »
Worty,
I may have mentioned this before. I also was a despatch rider, for 6 months, over winter, 1000 miles a week on average. I rode a Honda 500 4 supplied by the company. A job that I thought was going to be fun but turned out to be pretty tough.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline Catz

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3284 on: 09.05. 2024 13:31 »
Fitted a new headlight with H4 bulb. Thank you Andrew at Priory Magnetos. *good3*
I too was a despatch rider for 13 years in and around London. Rode various bikes including the obligatory CX500, it's replacement the VT500 and various other shaft driven bikes which included the Kwak GT550, Yams XJ750 and 900, Suz 850G and finally 2 non shafties a la FJ1100 and 1200. The good old days before the internet and email killed it off.
Crewe, Cheshire, England 1960 A10