Author Topic: What have you done with your bike/s today?  (Read 155368 times)

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
Re: What have you done with your bike/s today?
« Reply #3255 on: 07.05. 2024 12:05 »
At the moment its in the steering lock hole while I think of a better place.

Does anyone ever use the steering lock.  I find it really difficult to turn the key anyway, and it's so stiff I keep thinking I'll break the key - now where IS that key *doh* *doubt* *dunno2*
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3256 on: 07.05. 2024 12:16 »
I 've never used one when it had the lock in. Its either too stiff so there's a risk of the key breaking off when its locked and stranding you. Or some so-and-so sits on the bike and heaves on the steering and jams it locked.
Slough 59 GF/SR

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #3257 on: 07.05. 2024 12:58 »
i use mine a few times a year, you have to move the steering very slightly and feel the resistance on the key easing.

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #3258 on: 07.05. 2024 15:15 »
BUGGA *ex* *ex*
Rather what I said worty! Thanks for reminding me in colour to match!

However, as Rob said and I did too, could have been horribly worse. Managed to grab the clutch pdq as the motor changed pitch and slowed, which was something. Very glad not to have thrown a rod as the cases have suffered that once in their (PO's) life already and it was £$£$€€ to fix after I acquired the bike.

The other journals both mike up to spec all round and across and are virtually unmarked even under a magnifying glass, with shells that are just starting to show what would have happened next.
Not sure of the virtues / wisdom of grinding one journal down a size and just polishing t'others if they're pronounced fit  . . . Never done it before, anyway - has anyone else I wonder? Probably no huge deal in the overall context of a crank that is very heavy  . . . but it had been dynamically balanced at some expense so not looking for short cuts.

I don't think it's a mega bucks thing Col, no.
Depends partly on whether that rod passes muster - true, not oval, no cracks etc - but I've seen worse that have been OK, and that's a quality item. I've already got it clean and shiny with the run bearing material off the sides. Small end, which runs direct on gudgeon pin, is good still. I'll use a new spare or pair if I have to. A regrind isn't going to break the bank too much and there aren't many bits needed except the obvious consumables. I have b/end and main bearing shells for most sizes for these motors in boxes because for a while they were hard to get, so I snaffled what I could. The roller mains are chunky items, and look good so far, camshafts and bushes are perfect, followers ditto, so it'll be a handful of hundreds I think at this stage, bit more if I get a spare set of pistons just in case I decide I do need them after all. As they've done 11 years at about 3K per annum I'd prefer to get to the next rebore on them though, which typically would be somewhere between 40-50K miles. Ring gaps are obviously larger than when new, but still pretty OK and there are no ridges on the cylinders. One exhaust pushrod - they're tubular alloy with press-on ball and socket ends - has a loose cup at the rocker end, but this is common with these and likely nowt to do with the rest of it. The tubes are relatively thick-walled, and I've usually found a light knurl to provide a better key, with some loctite, works wonders. They can't go anywhere even if the fit is loose. The rocker shafts and bushes are all fine.

Oh well, all good practice I suppose, and I've been lucky, mostly, for a long time with my toys.

Bill

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3259 on: 07.05. 2024 15:35 »
Bill, the only good thing in all of this is that you know what you're doing.  If it were me, I'd need a Bergs and a lot of alcohol. *eek* *beer*
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3260 on: 07.05. 2024 16:42 »
How can refitting valves turn into a £120 bill?  Quite easily as I've just discovered:
Road Rocket ally head, new valves springs and guides.  Struggling to get the collets in, not going well then one does a springfuckit and goes missing.  2 hours of sweeping and crawling about with a magnet, no sign.  Go to buy one and discover they are out of stock everywhere.
Look at the pictures and realize that the reason I'm having trouble is the top caps are the std ones not ally head ones.  Annoying as they were fitted when i got it.
Get parts book out and with the help of google images I have the wrong bottom collars too.
So that's a set of top collars with collets (modified because the original ones are not available) plus 4 bottom collars.  An expensive morning.
I would like to get my hands on the person who built this engine. 20 thou end-float, mismatched cases, iron head valve caps on an ally head and a new 926 Concentric (26!!).
I've got decent cases, new shells and bearings, a 930 carb and now the valve parts but this "cheap recommissioning" is not cheap anymore *sad2*
Slough 59 GF/SR

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #3261 on: 07.05. 2024 16:52 »
maybe worty's mate rivet man has had his hands on it *lol*

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3262 on: 07.05. 2024 18:03 »
  Am I right in thinking Mr G's motor is the one with a plain shell bearing in the centre of the crank, and has in effect a split flywheel?

The other journals have survived, so I hope the cause  is found in the crank, otherwise I reckon a new oil pump can be added to the bill.

I'm sure there was an urban myth about Japanese Engines having different size shells, all journals being ground to a finished size which removed the least amount of material.

On the bright side, Rob has enough bits to build up a spare Iron Head and a carb to sell. At this stage I'd check the threads in the block, and make sure the head bolts are the right ones for an alloy head.....Shades of RM?

Swarfy.

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3263 on: 07.05. 2024 18:12 »
maybe worty's mate rivet man has had his hands on it *lol*

To see whether RM has had his hands on it Rob, check the following:

Crankshaft oil seal on the wrong way round; no discernable shimming of the crank; ball bearings stuffed into oilways; no line boring of the timing side bush; no alignment of the chainwheel with the engine sprocket.  If you are still unsure, then please go to 'Worty's A10 Engine Rebuild' thread or message Bergs - he will be happy to regale you with tales of woe about my motor. *angry* *angry* *angry* *angry* *angry* *angry* *pull hair out* *pull hair out* *pull hair out*
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250

Offline jhg1958

• Valued Contributor
  • The more I learn I realise how little I know
« Reply #3264 on: 07.05. 2024 19:16 »
Sadly nothing for a few days since my better half was attacked by a herd of cows and calf’s. She is out of hospital but a bleed on the brain and broken collarbone will mean I will be busy running around for the next month or so.

Johm
1961 Golden Flash S/Arm

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3265 on: 07.05. 2024 20:52 »
How can refitting valves turn into a £120 bill?  Quite easily as I've just discovered:
Road Rocket ally head, new valves springs and guides.  Struggling to get the collets in, not going well then one does a springfuckit and goes missing.  2 hours of sweeping and crawling about with a magnet, no sign.  Go to buy one and discover they are out of stock everywhere.
Look at the pictures and realize that the reason I'm having trouble is the top caps are the std ones not ally head ones.  Annoying as they were fitted when i got it.
Get parts book out and with the help of google images I have the wrong bottom collars too.
So that's a set of top collars with collets (modified because the original ones are not available) plus 4 bottom collars.  An expensive morning.
I would like to get my hands on the person who built this engine. 20 thou end-float, mismatched cases, iron head valve caps on an ally head and a new 926 Concentric (26!!).
I've got decent cases, new shells and bearings, a 930 carb and now the valve parts but this "cheap recommissioning" is not cheap anymore *sad2*
G'day Rob.
Heaven help the next owner of my Cafe! I've done similar to her head. Put SR valves into a SS head required a mix of SS springs, SS top collars machined to take SR collets.
Note to self = list all mods so next PO doesn't shite on my grave.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3266 on: 07.05. 2024 22:03 »
Sadly nothing for a few days since my better half was attacked by a herd of cows and calf’s. She is out of hospital but a bleed on the brain and broken collarbone will mean I will be busy running around for the next month or so.

Johm

Jeez.  Always thought this was a really rare occurence, but seems a bit more common than expected.  Hope she's ok and recovers fully!
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250

Offline CheeserBeezer

• Valued Contributor
    • Priory Magnetos Ltd
« Reply #3267 on: 07.05. 2024 22:48 »
Took the RGS replica out the other night. Annoyingly, it wouldn't start in the pub car park after standing about 45 minutes. Won't start when hot? Bound to be the magneto I hear you say. That would be really embarrassing! Yesterday I had exactly the same problem with red, single seater, A10 after a 65 mile run. I parked it across the road whilst I opened the garage door, walked back to start her up...nope....nothing! I'd been messing about with the red A10's petrol tank, trying to work out fuel range and capacity of reserve and stuff like that. During the process I'd used the RGS rep's tank as a place to put my surplus fuel from the red one, then tipped it back into the red one's tank. It would appear there has been some contaminant in the RGS rep's tank which has transferred to the red one. I've been using some stuff called VP Madditive which I suspect has gone off and coated my plugs. I cleaned the fuel out of all the affected bikes , then I went out on the red one this morning, did 25 miles. No problems on restart back at home so I'm assuming I've diagnosed correctly. Anybody else know about VP Madditive? Does it go stale after a few weeks / months? Anyway, I'm relieved it wasn't both mags failing.... would have had to fall on my sword!. So that 's the third thing that causes a bike not to start when hot. Quiz question... the first thing is failed condensor, the second thing is contaminated fuel coating the plugs, the third thing is....?

Offline Macbeth

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3268 on: 07.05. 2024 23:18 »

Johm

Wondering where my fathers cattle turned up, they carried prison shives & wore thick hold chains (lot of dingos where I grew up)

Did she just cross an open paddock ?
Sincerely hope recovery goes well mate

1960 Big Valve Super Rocket

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3269 on: 07.05. 2024 23:28 »
Never heard of VP Madditive.  The only 'fail to starts' I've had apart from maggie and fuel is timing - usually caused by stripped teeth on the ATD or points issue.
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250