Author Topic: What have you done with your bike/s today?  (Read 153196 times)

Offline mikeb

• Resident Legend
Re: What have you done with your bike/s today?
« Reply #2610 on: 06.12. 2022 08:41 »
Having been distracted for a while by the new (to me) modern, I finally got the magdyno back on the ‘B’, re-timed it etc and it surged back into life on the first kick *smile*. Its even charging  *smile* *smile* (after re torquing the magdyno clutch and refacing the brushes). Hence commuted to work on it today complete with lane splitting and the usual pleasures. The B speaks to you with every firing, even more personally than the A10. Not quite the modern in terms of handling, brembos, ohlins or finding neutral, but a lot of fun was had.  *lol* *lol*
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '21 Triumph Speed Triple RS

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2611 on: 06.12. 2022 19:02 »
G'day Fellas.
I fixed the rocker box leak. The thick glass arrived to lap it flat (was only a thou out). I didn't re-use the copper gaskets so used my home made 0.8mm paper ones with grey RTV silicon. Threw it all together checking all the valves go up and down. Two kicks = nothing, a squirt of "start ya bastard" she fired on one side only. BUGGA, In my haste right inlet push rod must have been sitting on the edge of a cup. It jumped out and jammed the valve open. With my gynecological skills I was able to loosen the tappet adjuster all the way, pries down the valve and refit the rod in the cup without upsetting the gasket.
Fired up 2nd kick. Even with the newly fitted compression plate she is still a beast to kick, I've modified my starting procedure by getting just over tdc then booting (like a single), still takes my full weight (70kg). No leas after 10 minutes running.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
« Reply #2612 on: 07.12. 2022 08:49 »
G'day Fellas.
I fixed the rocker box leak. The thick glass arrived to lap it flat (was only a thou out). I didn't re-use the copper gaskets so used my home made 0.8mm paper ones with grey RTV silicon. Threw it all together checking all the valves go up and down. Two kicks = nothing, a squirt of "start ya bastard" she fired on one side only. BUGGA, In my haste right inlet push rod must have been sitting on the edge of a cup. It jumped out and jammed the valve open. With my gynecological skills I was able to loosen the tappet adjuster all the way, pries down the valve and refit the rod in the cup without upsetting the gasket.
Fired up 2nd kick. Even with the newly fitted compression plate she is still a beast to kick, I've modified my starting procedure by getting just over tdc then booting (like a single), still takes my full weight (70kg). No leas after 10 minutes running.
Cheers

Nice one Musky.  Must admit, the rod sitting on the edge of a cup was something that concerned me a bit when putting the rocker box back on.  Went overboard in kicking it over loads of times just to make sure.  Love the squirt of 'start ya bastard', they should actually put that on a can of the stuff!  Maybe an alternative to WD40 is 'come off ya bastard' when you've skinned yer knuckles for the umteenth time on a beautifully rusted nut that's starting to round off on the corners in the most inaccessible place you could imagine - one of those heart sink moments that tells you the half hour job is going to take much, much longer!  Bergs is finding this with my motor, no doubt. *eek* *eek*
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #2613 on: 07.12. 2022 18:58 »
G'day Worty.
They do *ex*
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2614 on: 08.12. 2022 09:16 »
G'day Worty.
They do *ex*
Cheers

Brilliant - I thought it was your unique wit Musky, never dreamt that it was an actual 'thing' - love it!🤣🤣🤣👍
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #2615 on: 11.12. 2022 10:07 »
G'day Fellas.
With my remodeling of the Cafe almost done I was looking at how shabby the tank was looking. It had a few stress cracks in the gelcoat (no leaks). The last few days I've repaired them and bogged a few irregularities and undercoated. Today I rubbed it back and blew a few coats of colour (Sherwood Green) on. Now waiting for the stickers to arrive and then a few coats of 1K clear over the top.
So far so good.
Along with electricks I hate paint work.
Cheers
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2616 on: 11.12. 2022 11:22 »
That's never a standard Sherwood Green. Unless of course camera / monitor is not replicating the actual colour correctly. My MK2 Jag is Sherwood and it's nothing like that!
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2617 on: 11.12. 2022 17:11 »
That's never a standard Sherwood Green. Unless of course camera / monitor is not replicating the actual colour correctly. My MK2 Jag is Sherwood and it's nothing like that!
It's Australian Sherwood Green. Most UK towns have one named after them in Aus. This green comes from Sherwood Brisbane  ;)

Sherwood is a suburb in the City of Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. In the 2016 census, Sherwood had a population of 5,313 people.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #2618 on: 11.12. 2022 19:01 »
G'day RD.
It does seem a little light, being metallic doesn't help. Maybe I should have used a dark undercoat.
Cheers
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2619 on: 11.12. 2022 19:14 »
It's green and nicely painted *grins* *grins*
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #2620 on: 13.12. 2022 03:54 »
Names mean next to nothing
BSA standard preWWII was Brunswick Green
But Brunswick Green is not a colour but a type of green made from a blue base
There are 4 official Brunswick Greens and none of them are a match for the hand painted coach enamel BSA used
And even then the Brunswick Green BSA used looks totally different depending upon if it was a deluxe model so was painted over chrome or a std model so was painted over a cream dase coat .
Then there is optical bleed through
In most cases you need 4 to 5 coats of the top coat before the bleed through from the under coat is overcome
Unless the paint has a strong white base then each coat will make the bike darker .

The stunningly beautiful "Golden Beige" of the 1950 A 10's looks that way because it is painted over a black base coat
The 1951 models are a lot creamier and shallower looking because they are painted over either an off white underrcoat or a green rubbing coat .

Then there is colour identification of the camera and that varies greatly between the film used which is the closest you get to reality ( and even then developing can shift the colours ) and the CCD in the digital camera which are very bad in rendering reds
After that there is the fact that your monitor uses addative colour on the image while printing & painting is subtractive colour
And this is before we start with out of calibration monitors

THis is why the UK invented the RAL colour identification scheme & printers adopted Panatone
However even then the colours look totally different when printed on high gloss calendar stock through to newsprint
SO there are 4 ( from memory ) different sets of Panatone colour swatches.
Then because countries like to do these things another 1/2 dozen series of "standardised" colours got invented .
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #2621 on: 13.12. 2022 08:57 »
G'day Fellas.
Well today I thought I'd move the tank out of the way, save being kicked, nudged or have something dropped on. What's the best place? On the bike of course. Bugga, it's different shade to the fork shrouds  *pull hair out*. A bit lighter. So now I've ordered Daintree Green DSC69. The closest place that stocks it is 60 miles away.
I'll give it a very light rub with 1500 grit and throw a coat or two on over the w/end.
Cheers
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #2622 on: 14.12. 2022 03:16 »
On a piece of scrap metal spray 6 stripes of your current paint
Then spray 5 of them a second time
Then 4 of the a third time
Then 3 of the a fourth time
Then 2 of the a fifth time
Then 1 of them six time
leave it sit for 2 weeks to fully cure
Now hold your test pannel against yur forks to find the best colour match
A little trick a pannel beater showed me
He always started with a lighter colour then built it up till he got a match
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2623 on: 16.12. 2022 11:18 »
Went to the garage (-2.5C) to clear a space for the motor returning from Bergs.  Moved Kwaka and Beeza out, tidied the space up, and put the table lift in place to put the motor on.

Removed oil tank and rocker feed ready for cleaning, along with the feed and return pipes.  Also removed final drive chain, speedo cable and gearbox ready for clean up and centre stand attention.  Quick question, does the clutch lever on the gearbox have a ball bearing in it?  I ask because the end of the clutch push rod has a recess in it that looks like it engages with a bearing.  Also, is this bearing likely to fall into my gearbox now that the push rod isn't in place?

Put the bikes back and shut the garage door.
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2624 on: 16.12. 2022 11:38 »
Quick question, does the clutch lever on the gearbox have a ball bearing in it?

Yes
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.