Author Topic: What have you done with your bike/s today?  (Read 155382 times)

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: What have you done with your bike/s today?
« Reply #2505 on: 18.09. 2022 20:25 »
G'day Fellas.
Took the A7 plunger for a spin up the hill to Hampton pub for lunch. A good test for the jetting of the new 932.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2506 on: 19.09. 2022 07:49 »
Just a detail, trivial at that. Recently I've been doing some re-wiring... improving what I should have done better earlier when building my SR. As I worked in the headlight shell I couldn't help noticing the beginnings of aluminium corrosion on my lovely TLS brakeplate. Some months ago a kind wifey bought me an ELECTRIC TOOTHBRUSH for gawd's sake! (I've never been able to understand the need for these devices, -not enough energy to brush your teeth? -Gimme a break!)

Anyway, the said ET tore the crap out of my delicate little gums. so it sat on a shelf in the bathroom for months until... UNTIL... today I discovered it's raison d'etre.
That TLS brakeplate is a thing of beauty, but it's an intricate casting, hard to get into all the nooks and crannys - behind the fork sliders and cable levers etc. *astard to clean.

But the Electric "(Ev'rythings gonna be made outa plastic" who said that?) -Toothbrush dipped in brasso did a great job - so easily. cleaned and polished up everything beautifully in a minute or two - and no skinned knuckles. So steal SHMBO's ET and try it. You can always slip it back into the bathroom afterwards.  (She'll have sparkling teeth eh?  ;)

Oooh and by the way, miraculously, re-wiring, I didn't let any smoke out!

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
« Reply #2507 on: 19.09. 2022 08:30 »
Re-timed the bike, no spitting back on kicking her up now, will test later.

Apologies for this guys, but I'm looking at confining the A10 to more local potterings and am currently eyeing up an immaculate 1974 BMW R75/5 for longer tours.  Just can't get the reliability out of the Beeza to be confident on epic trips, plus I have a bit of a concern over the endfloat situation and how that might pan out on long, hot, trips. :!

Given that there's damage AGAIN on the ATD, there's going to be a limit on how much cash I can keep throwing at it.  I also like being on the road more than in the garage, so I need a bike for riding and one for fixing.

Please don't shout, I've not told the Beeza yet.
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250

Offline Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2508 on: 19.09. 2022 08:43 »
No shouting mate (and whispering if we're in earshot of your Beezer) -but just this. I had a Beemer R75/5 for a few years and I appreciated it for it's build quality amongst other things, but honestly, it was boring as *rap!
No character whatsoever. Bland, sluggy, ponderous, underpowered. - Be like *ooting Margaret Thatcher. Know what I mean?

The R75/6 is a better bike, essentially similar but with a longer wheelbase. Anyway, go for it, you'll love the thumbstart at least -that's the only thing I'd miss!
I do understand though, go for it!

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2509 on: 19.09. 2022 09:09 »
No shouting mate (and whispering if we're in earshot of your Beezer) -but just this. I had a Beemer R75/5 for a few years and I appreciated it for it's build quality amongst other things, but honestly, it was boring as *rap!
No character whatsoever. Bland, sluggy, ponderous, underpowered. - Be like *ooting Margaret Thatcher. Know what I mean?

The R75/6 is a better bike, essentially similar but with a longer wheelbase. Anyway, go for it, you'll love the thumbstart at least -that's the only thing I'd miss!
I do understand though, go for it!

Cheers Jools - thanks for your comments.  I did think the Slash 5 would be better than you describe, but totally trust your comments.  It's just that I've seen a beautiful example for sale at £5,750.  I do like Beemers but, as you said, they can be a bit slow and ponderous.  I had an 1959 R60 for quite a few years, great cruising at 70 all day, but sluggish around the back roads.

What I need is something oldish (not new stuff unless, maybe, a newer Enfield or something - quite a nice looking bike I reckon).  It needs to go a bit from the off (like the GF) with some brisk acceleration and a comfy 70-80 top end.  Other bikes I've considered is Yam XS650, Kwaka W650, Yam TX 500, Yam XT500.  Any suggestions or experiences (like Jool's) would be greatly appreciated.

Had considered selling the A10 due to engine durability/cost concerns, but I do like the bike and a lot of blood, sweat and tears have gone into it over the decade I've had it.  Crank is on its last regrind and pistons on their last rebore (liners next).  I also think the endfloat is being accompanied by a bit of lateral movement (is that the infamous 'timing side bush' issue??).  My fears are for a long lay off for the bike with complete engine stripdown - costs may be upwards of 1.5k I reckon as I'd need help.
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250

Offline Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2510 on: 19.09. 2022 09:24 »
Please don't be turned off it by my comments. -Just 'told it as I found it'.
I'm in a similar but different situation where, my 35 year build project (SR) is coming to fruition finally, but my hip -(the kickstart one) is starting to give up the ghost, and my old /5 Beemer with thumbstart is starting to look good!

Looked into Steve McFarlane's Electric start conversion for the Rocket, but it ain't cheap. But I might go for it.
I've looked very closely at the RE Interceptor and Continental GT, spoke to owners etc, and they look and sound brilliant - and at a pretty bargain price too. I'm tempted.
I know an Enfield dealer from NSW and he reckons they are so reliable - he's had almost no unhappy customers / problems with them since the twins have been on the market.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #2511 on: 19.09. 2022 20:43 »
G'day Fellas.
Parts arrived yesterday for the HD primary rebuild. Last night got the inner cover with bearings and seals back on. Tonight the clutch & primary drive. Then it's ALL the other bits that had to be removed to do the job *ex*

Never been a fan of BM's. A senior member (90) had a R90 and we noticed he was having trouble controlling it. We persuaded him to get something a bit smaller. He got a new Kwaka 300 and loved it. Rode it everywhere till he "fell off the perch" at 92.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Angus

• Suffolk, UK
  • Resident Legend
  • The A7
« Reply #2512 on: 19.09. 2022 22:19 »
Hi All
So today the A7 got a service (engine oil change, level check gearbox/primary and chain tension check) ready for Spain. Then a good clean so she looks presentable   *smile*
1961 A7 since 1976, 1960 A10 Gold Flash Super Profile Bike
1958 Matchless G80 Project, 1952 Norton Model 7 Plunger
1950 Triumph T100, 1981 Ducati Pantah 500, 1959 AJS model 20

Offline Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #2513 on: 20.09. 2022 06:44 »
Fitted a DVR 2 voltage regulator to the B31 - we have charge!

Back to reliability. When I have a long journey or an appointment I cannot miss, it's the A10 that gets rolled out of the shed. 
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2514 on: 20.09. 2022 08:28 »
Fitted a DVR 2 voltage regulator to the B31 - we have charge!

Back to reliability. When I have a long journey or an appointment I cannot miss, it's the A10 that gets rolled out of the shed.

Used to be the case for me BS but, of late, reliability is a big issue (as is cash for endless repairs).  Maybe I just got a bit of a dud.  Anyhow, I need to add to the stable for a more reliable bike (that'd make two).  I've got my eye on a Kwaka W650, very smart with 33k on the clock, £3.5k delivered with warranty, full MoT, PDI and service.  They have a reputation to be bulletproof, like the Yam XS650, and I need to get out of the garage!!
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2515 on: 21.09. 2022 16:17 »
Right fellas, listen up, I have an A10 which I have now named Christine (after the 1983 film about a possessed car).  *eek* >:D >:D *evil*

I bought the Kwaka W650 which is arriving soon.  However, I took the A10 out today to test the timing reset and needle at P4 to get it ready for a possible sale ........ and ................ it went like s**t off a shovel. *wink2* *wink2* *woo* *woo*  Revved out to 60 in third and, up the bypass on an incline, managed 70 with a headwind and a very, very, slight hesitation at 75.  Chucked it around various roads - lovely.  No lumpiness on revving from tickover - felt smooth as you like. *smile* *smile*

So, with thanks to everyone, I can confirm that Andrew (Priory) is correct (for me at least) in saying that 11/32 (ca. 8.5mm) btdc is right for my bike.  Running with super unleaded, airscrew 1.5 turns out, c/b at .012, plugs at .018 (new), needle at P4.  The 290 main jet seems fine with these settings.  Plug chop revealed a very light tan with no sooting (tad lean??).

Now I have the conundrum of selling or keeping for that brilliant A10 experience when they run well.  Will still jump on the Kwaka for an assured ride, but the A10 gets my vote for a 'will I make it' rorty ride around Yorkshire.  I'm sure the A10 is jealous of the new arrival and has started to behave???
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250

Offline Sav

• Valued Contributor
  • VMCC Men of Kent and BSAOC member
    • TT Website and Forum
« Reply #2516 on: 21.09. 2022 19:51 »
Rode the little H---a across to Canterbubble this afternoon for my 4th covid jab, took that for reliability and ease of starting.

Had the jab and started back to an instant deflation of the rear tyre, fortunately right outside a pub! So seemed no time before I got a lift home from the nice AA man.

Took the back wheel off, that and me both a bit wobbly! only to find the tube completely split into two at one of the seams, no wonder the gorilla snot failed me! Never seen that before!

Nurse told me plenty of fluid this evening, so off to drown my sorrows.
1961 A10SR, spent a fortune at SRM
1961 A7SS, finally the right green
2011 1937 Empire Star, twin port, high pipes, 2023 off to pastures new.
2022 Gone to the dark side and bought a 1981 Honda Benly, electric leg for my old age! done 450 miles!
2023. 1972 Honda CL350 added. Another electric leg bike with a bit more oomf
White Cliffs Country

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #2517 on: 25.09. 2022 23:42 »
  *bright idea*  I decided to test out my new hip replacement   *doubt*   
So I drained the sump, tickled the carb & gave her a soft slow kick to check I for any pain..  NO   
2 kicks later she fired into life again after Winter hibernation ...  *sleepy*
So it looks like  all is well for Summer..   *woo*
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #2518 on: 26.09. 2022 01:41 »
G'day Woz.
So how long from surgery to kick?
Failing cancellation (even my quack said they could on the morning) I'm due on Thursday.

I finally got the HD all buttoned up yesterday. This morning took her for a 50Km blat. No leaks  *yeah*
Cheers
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Sav

• Valued Contributor
  • VMCC Men of Kent and BSAOC member
    • TT Website and Forum
« Reply #2519 on: 26.09. 2022 09:07 »
Mine was six months before I was advised it was safe to kick the bike over. Mine was a difficult operation I was told as I had previously fractured the hip.

Don't rush it is my advice, do what your body is telling you it can but exercise the hip. However if you rush into thongs and dislocate/damage the new joint you will be in a worse mess than before you started, revisions are far more complicated.

Good luck and it will all be downhill after the first week.
1961 A10SR, spent a fortune at SRM
1961 A7SS, finally the right green
2011 1937 Empire Star, twin port, high pipes, 2023 off to pastures new.
2022 Gone to the dark side and bought a 1981 Honda Benly, electric leg for my old age! done 450 miles!
2023. 1972 Honda CL350 added. Another electric leg bike with a bit more oomf
White Cliffs Country