Author Topic: What have you done with your bike/s today?  (Read 156483 times)

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
Re: What have you done with your bike/s today?
« Reply #2070 on: 18.04. 2022 20:16 »
it's ok RD i'm billy no mates in the biking or same interests world, all my mates have departed and i'm only 62. 33 and a turd over and over really *wave*

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2071 on: 18.04. 2022 21:09 »
G'day Fellas.
I'm back. A little battle scared, I had an alcohol induced face plant on the first night *dunno* Fine & sunny all Easter. More rain coming today *rant*
Went on roads I haven't seen for 30 years. Up the Clyde I scrapped the HD on just about every corner and at the top I was on my 2nd fag before the next rider arrived *smile*
Bike went well but had a whirring sound from down below. Think I may have adjusted the primary chain a tad tight. Today I'll back it off a bit and try again.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2072 on: 18.04. 2022 22:58 »
Musky,

I'm hoping that face plant was because you couldn't stay on your feet, rather than involving the bike. That whirring from down below was probably something you ate while planning the face plant.

Richard L.

Offline Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #2073 on: 19.04. 2022 07:16 »
I struggle to get out on a bike "just for fun". Having a disabled wife and a farm to run means time for leisure is somewhat limited. Of the last 4 rides, 3 have been to funerals. There are 2 more funerals coming up - am I bad to look forward to them as a chance to get out on the bike? One is a couple of hundred miles away. One long day out on the A10 coming up and a chance to catch up with seldom seen friends. Always look on the bright side!     
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
« Reply #2074 on: 19.04. 2022 08:56 »
Morning guys, bit of melancholy about but that's no problem -feel a bit crap today with a coldy thing, but it's my son's 17th today and I've promised to start teaching him how to drive.  Neither of the lads seem interested in bikes, but then, I don't expect them to be.

As for primary oil, I go for a blend of 20/50 and 80/90, only because I bought 25 litres of the latter for £10 and need to use it on something.  Never had a problem with the oil, but I do lose some from any one or all of the following:

Primary gasket, oil filler cap, clutch adjustment cap, one of the screws in the primary cover and the drain plug.  That is, everywhere you can think of.  Keeps the centre stand nicely lubricated though, although I don't like oil on the rear tyre. *eek* :o *pull hair out* *pull hair out*
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250

Offline BagONails

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #2075 on: 19.04. 2022 11:36 »
Well I pulled one pile of old junk out of my trailer and threw it on the wood pile only to replace it with another pile of junk, which had to be taken to the tip!

Another A7 Long Stroke! A 1948 YA7 engine in a slightly later frame which appears to have been involved in a rather abrupt stop at some stage in its life. *sad2* I have another spare front frame half too which I may well use as I think the original (haha original) may be a bit beyond straightening out...

I was encouraged to find the engine turning over with good compression and appears to still have some black goo in it. Someone has even bothered to cap the oil lines and stuff some rags in the ports. The story was it has been raced at some stage  *eek* (witness the exhaust adapters and big carby) and had been left abandoned in someone's shed for the last 50 years. Seems to have caught fire too in the dim and distant so no wiring, or speedo but does have center stand, foot rests, gear lever (gears were selecting too!) Altette horn, bakelite switch for head light, correct tool box (painted like new) two single saddles and a dual seat

I'm under no illusions however, we know the engine needs to be stripped, oil pump checked, sludge trap de-sludged, camshaft and followers most likely will be toast...etc. etc. The tin ware will need welding up and bashing back into shape and the lovely old tank has a few dents in it.  Anyway I won't find out until I start and I won't be starting for a while as we have a few other projects on the go here as well so there won't be a "BON's Longey" thread starting just yet but hopefully it won't be too long.

Plan to start with the Engine/Drive train and acquire missing / replacement cycle parts as required once I have some idea what I'm up against. *work*
Ian
59 GF A10
67 Spitfire under resto
2013 kwaka W800 Desert Sled (ex write off)

Nil Desperandum

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2076 on: 19.04. 2022 18:46 »
Hi Bon,
I have two nos longstroke followers that I went halves on a full set with a friend in the hope they might work on a 20's job single. It turned out the radius was at 90 deg to the one for the single,
New cams are available as Wassel mucked up ordering 334 cams from Newman cams and got longstroke ones made instead?
AFAIK

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2077 on: 20.04. 2022 08:36 »
These cases have been on offer for about a year by this wildly optimistic crew.

Just to show what's inside and the different camfollower arrangement compared to the later design. Maybe of interest...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/352696964957

Bagga.  That chainguard looks original... with tyre pump mountings and wheel guard backing plate. Repro's often miss these off. Rear ride height looks strange, or else its the mudguard brackets screwed! BSA Piled Arms Logo missing from the timing cover. Could be only found on Star Twin, or only on A7. Julian will know.

To separate the front and rear frame parts is simple in theory, difficult in practice as the top thro' stud on the front/rear section join is invariably seized. My frame also had a thin wall locating tube, not shown in parts books. Needed all my skill, guile and curses to get them apart.

Swarfy.

Offline BagONails

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #2078 on: 20.04. 2022 09:35 »
These cases have been on offer for about a year by this wildly optimistic crew.

Just to show what's inside and the different camfollower arrangement compared to the later design. Maybe of interest...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/352696964957

Bagga.  That chainguard looks original... with tyre pump mountings and wheel guard backing plate. Repro's often miss these off. Rear ride height looks strange, or else its the mudguard brackets screwed! BSA Piled Arms Logo missing from the timing cover. Could be only found on Star Twin, or only on A7. Julian will know.

To separate the front and rear frame parts is simple in theory, difficult in practice as the top thro' stud on the front/rear section join is invariably seized. My frame also had a thin wall locating tube, not shown in parts books. Needed all my skill, guile and curses to get them apart.

Swarfy.
Thanks Swarfy. All noted. Interesting collection of odd parts indeed, probably gave too much for it! The chain guard has been stripped and then left unpainted. Its a bit gnarly here and there but should clean up OK, metal seems quite thick. The tank has pump mounts too so may be off a later model but seems to be the right shape with mountings that match the frame. The mudguards are pretty ropey and the rear hinge has been disposed of with the tail section bolted on instead. I have no idea if anything is in the right place at this stage! I have been given a section of mudguard with the hinge in so will attempt a transplant. Someone has found me a licence plate/rear light holder too.

Those photos on Ebay certainly reveal the big differences in the cases. I like the idea of the semi-unit construction with the slipper adjustment on the primary. I wonder why they went backwards from this?
The cam and followers is something I shall be paying close attention to after reading many threads on here but we wont know the full state of play until its in pieces. At this stage everything is going round and round and all the valves are moving which is better than being rusted solid in my book!

I will need to do some fin repairs if these barrels have any life left in them. I've noticed quite a number of these early A7's with the centre screw in the lower part of the timing cover seem to be sans piled arms so I don't know if this is odd or not. The cover itself is a very different shape to the later Golden Flash version.

Hi Bon,
I have two nos longstroke followers that I went halves on a full set with a friend in the hope they might work on a 20's job single. It turned out the radius was at 90 deg to the one for the single,
New cams are available as Wassel mucked up ordering 334 cams from Newman cams and got longstroke ones made instead?
AFAIK

John
How opportune, I shall bear these in mind in the event they are needed thanks John. Maybe I should approach Wassel and find out who stocks the cams even before I split the cases, or should I open a book on the outcome. Is that allowed under the forum rules?! *smile*

Thanks for the tips guys always helpful.
Ian
59 GF A10
67 Spitfire under resto
2013 kwaka W800 Desert Sled (ex write off)

Nil Desperandum

Online Colsbeeza

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2079 on: 20.04. 2022 09:46 »
Took the 61' Flash out for a run today. A little windy but otherwise perfect weather - a nice 22 DegC day. A very pleasant ride! The front forks have stopped banging over bumps since I tightened the steering head, so much pleased.
New motor now has a few hundred miles, so changed to Penrite 20W-60. It now has SRM oil pump and PRV. I gave it a few bursts at 60mph. Oil pressure was 65 psi at cold idle on startup, 23psi at 40mph, 30psi at 50mph and 10psi at hot idle on my return.
I'm not fiddling any more, so I have to be happy with that!
Col
1961 Golden Flash
Australia

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2080 on: 20.04. 2022 12:15 »
G'day Col.
I would have expected a lot more than that. My A10 Cafe (with end feed) Gives a hot idle of 25-30 on 20/50 with the original 1957 pump! Once over 3000rpm it gives 50psi.
I know you don't ride like I do but 10 psi at idle sounds low. 30psi at 50mph I'd pull over.
Did the "new" motor get bigends and main bush?
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2081 on: 20.04. 2022 15:45 »
Dunno about 'a lot more' but I'd be happier with 40psi at 50mph. But, before getting out the worry beads, try what the engines were designed around - a straight 30 or 40 grade. I've often wondered whether multi-grades actually perform as we expect when they're contained (unlike in most cars) in a separate tank. Failing that, an inspection of the PRV may be in order.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
« Reply #2082 on: 20.04. 2022 16:50 »
My main test of oil pressure is to belt the bike around the Dales for 150m and see if it it gets back home without calling out recovery.  Bike's done 10,000 since rebuild and no probs so far.
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250

Offline Billybream

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2083 on: 20.04. 2022 16:58 »
Fitted Paul Goff LED bulb set, unbelievable, like comparing candle to light bulb, very pleased, direct replacement, almost zero amps pulled. Cannot comment on nightime effectiveness yet.
Topped up last years fuel with Sainsburys Super Unleaded E5, and she started first kick.
1960 Super Rocket, owned since 1966, back on the road 2012 after being laid up for 29yrs.

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #2084 on: 20.04. 2022 17:57 »
I've never been too sure about oil pressure.
I know we need it, of course, but I've only ever had one sort of bike with a gauge (an LE Velocette, . . . yes, I know - I've even had 2 of them over the years.) They come with handsome gauges, as someone must have liked making instrument panels.
It is 'supposed' to show 30psi at 30 mph in top gear, 'hot'. It doesn't. Cold, it shows loads more than that (as all things will); warm, it still shows more than enough; but after15 miles it shows 20psi at 30 mph in top, or the magic 30psi at 40mph - and always 10 psi minimum at tickover. The 10psi is very reasonable I think. The crank is in so-so shape or better, running on plain bronze bushed annular big ends. This on a wetsump engine which works hard to ensure any forward motion at all, with an inefficient sv engine - but offset by water cooling. That's on bog standard supermarket 20/50, which is my favourite ubiquitous slurp and has been for half a century in all my bikes.

But . . .  is it right that a goodly proportion of whatever pressure there might be at a big end is as much a function of centrifugal forces on the crank journals as of the actual state of the bearings or of the oil pump? And is it right that flow is at least as critical as pressure? And does it matter what a gauge says if tapped into a line that is lightly stressed compared to a conrod bearing? I don't know and I don't worry unless nasty noises tell me different.

If I recall correctly, BMC A series car engines, which many of us grew up on, let the yellow oil pressure warning light flicker at about 7 psi - which was 'remedied' by increasing the tickover speed by about 50 or 100rpm so as to save the electricity for the bulb and mental wear and tear on the driver.

If I fitted a gauge to other bikes I'd probably panic, if I understood what the thing was really telling me that is  . . . Luckily, I don't have them and they seem to work well, come rain come shine, like wortluck's.
Bill